Confirmed hardware/idevice/iOS/NS combo thread

71 replies [Last post]
Nikolaus Ruf

Hi,

verry NEW:
My Akai LPD8 Midi-Controller works NOW fine through the CCK of Apple (30 pin->USB) with NS 1.34 on iPhone 4 with iOS 7.0.2 !

Do not need to wait anymore fore the iConnectMIDI, YES

Nik

radiotec117

I'm happy to confirm an Alesis qx49 and an iPad mini retina work perfectly together using an Apple lightning camera adapter cable. I'm also using a wall wart 9v 500ma positive tip dc adapter to power the qx49 externally.

QbAnYtO

Also synth station 49 crapped out. Started burning inside out. So I got a Samson carbon 49. Works flawlessly. I love it. AND sub powered by the iPad or Mac.

Stiksi

Wasn't aware of that one, looks like a smart design!

Cskuehn

I use nano studio with my iPad 2 on my AKAI Professional Synthstation 49. I recently upgraded my iPad 2 to run iOS 8.4.1, then upgraded nano studio to the latest version. Although the app appears to run fine on the iPad 2 with this iOS, it doesn't appear to work with my Synthstation anymore. While I can play the virtual keys of the app (and here them through the AKAI headphone jack), I can no longer use the physical keys of the Synthstation. Pressing a key on my hardware doesn't activate the corresponding virtual key, and I hear no sound.

Can someone tell me if this a bug in nano studio, or does blimp no longer support the AKAI hardware? Btw, I other apps like music studio, Magellan, nlog pro, and z3ta+ work fine in this scenario.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Stiksi

If I remember correctly, Akai uses a proprietary system with the Synthstations and they stopped updating that for new iOS versions. Are you using the keyboard in OMNI mode or using individual MIDI channels?

To try OMNI mode, go to MANAGE -> MIDI and make sure your keyboard is on the list of Inputs. Select OMNI on the keyboard. Open an Eden instrument. Play notes. Does it work?

The other apps you are using all work in a manner similar to the Nanostudio's OMNI mode, which means they receive MIDI input from all available channels.

Slam-Cut

I may be wrong about this, but I believe that Blimp said in the latest version of NS that SS25 was no longer supported (presumably the SS49 as well). Am I wrong about that? I know that I didn't upgrade my 4s just so that I could continue to use the SS25.

Sorry Matt, I just couldn't resist the urge.

Cskuehn

I must have missed that message, but I was kinda being forced to update for other reasons. Looks like it's time to delete nano studio.

Slam-Cut

Maybe, if you don't use NS that much. I think the main source of the problem came from Akai, not Blimp. I think Akai abandoned support for the SS25, but I'm not sure about the SS49. I think I would first check that your SS49 has the latest firmware. There could be a work-around using Core MIDI. Second, or maybe first, double check which version of NS you have on your computer as the last save when you synced your iPhone. It may be that you have the older version of iOS and NS there and you could restore from that earlier save. Just make sure to manually save any 'new' files (esp. .nsp files) before you restore your iPhone.
Good Luck! Please let us know how it goes.

Editorial Bit:
We run into problems with hardware and software, in that the companies will only update a product for a certain period of time. Then you have to either buy new hardware or software or stop updating and just leave a system 'as is'. The really nice thing about hardware synths is that they can keep doing what they were built to do until parts wear out, and those can usually be repaired. I just wish that Apple would make it possible for people to re-install old iOS so that we can have some flexibility with the apps and hardware that we purchase.

Blip Interactive

Both the Akai SS25 and SS49 should currently work in NanoStudio, to my knowledge. However Akai dropped support for the SS25 some time ago and haven't released a 64 library which means that if NanoStudio gets another update (which must be 64 bit) then support for it would have to be dropped.

The SS49 is different to the SS25 in that it uses the standard Core MIDI system rather than the accessory connector, so I'd be surprised if this has stopped working. Is NanoStudio showing it in the list of available input devices? Is it enabled? Do you see any channel activity on the MIDI channel indicators (the 2x8 grid of channel enable buttons on the MIDI page)?

eljefe300300

How's it going everyone?! I wanted to share a recent discovery. I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere but I haven't seen it here so far... I've had Akai RPM3 speakers for ever, well today I decided to plug them into my cck I just got (PinPle otgusb189 Otg Adapter). To my surprise the speakers played the song on my iPhone 6plus. Then I wondered if I could use the inputs in the back of the speaker. To my surprise again audiobus and GarageBand detected 2 inputs that could also be selected as 1 stereo. Pretty cool! That's a pretty nice portable solution for instruments or even a turntable for sampling. Alesis released an identical speaker set that probably works too!