Confirmed hardware/idevice/iOS/NS combo thread

71 replies [Last post]
MCOBigBen

I can confirm that the Tascam IM2 mic works with NS on a 3GS. It uses the Apple connector, and not the 1/8th inch jack (so your reaction isn't "well duh, of course it works").

Stiggolas

I would have liked an M Audio Oxygen 8 keyboard, but it's only USB MIDI, would have been fine with an iPad BUT I've got a 4g iPod touch so I ended up with an Alesis QX49 which has conventional MIDI ports and USB, iRig MIDI interface and NanoStudio, I can confirm it works really well (it's just me that's a bit rubbish!).

Jamieo01

Has anyone tried this with the Synthstation 25.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Regulated-500mA-Adaptor-DC500R/dp/B001...

I would like to know if it would work before purchasing.

Edit: I can confirm that it works with the Synthstation

TheWanderer

Hi,
So after reading all relevant threads, is it still the case that the Akai SS25 and (Line 6 Mobile 25?) are the only midi controllers for NS on the iphone?

Do any other USB controllers work with the iphone while only using the CCK?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Stiksi

Once again, the camera connection kit does not work with an iPhone. It only briefly did on a pre-release OS about a year ago. Never on stock iOS.

There is no way to connect usb-only keyboards directly to the iPhone. There are a couple of ways to connect with midi connectors. Line 6 midi mobilizer being the foremost IMO.

TheWanderer

Thanks Stiksi, appreciate that.

Slam-Cut

@Stiksi: Why your preference for Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer over the iRig MIDI?

Stiksi

Misinformation :D

I got iRig mixed up with IO dock. I only have usb-midi gear so I don't use any of these. Should have replaced the IMO with AFAIK or FIIK, really.

Grahamguitarman

The Alesis IO2 express works great with Nanostudio both on audio and midi (I can finally trigger the TRG using my Alesis percpad, something my old midi to USB cable refused to do)

You do need the cck and a powered hub to use it though!

Youtopia

So, is there any controller working with iPhone 5?

EDIT: Sorry, dumb question. I mean, something "native", as the SS25 was for the previous iphones.

thelittlelaughingman

-
I'm using an iPhone 4 with NanoStudio 1.34 & I can confirm that it is compatible with the iRig Keys hardware.

tom_tm

fwiw, I'm using iRigMIDI (to my iPad 4) with the new Apple mini connector to old connector converter and that combo works fine with *any* MIDI keyboard. I just picked up a Roland PCR-500 off eBay the other day for £40. So what I'm saying is you don't need to spend megabucks on 'specifically designed for iPhone' products. Remember at the end of the day, it's all marketing hype! :)

syrupcore

nice find @tom_tm. Let us know how it goes. I'd never looked at that one before and am in the market for something larger with knobs. I generally use my matrix-6 as a controller these days with a korg nanoKontrol II on top but am lazy enough to want something with presets!

tom_tm

The old PCR type controllers appear to be going pretty cheap right now. The only thing that really sets them apart from the new version are the smaller drum triggers. Not so much a problem for me, as I still have my old Yamaha RY-30. They've got a MIDI merge built in, and they're built like a brick shit-house too. I really wanted the 2 & a 1/2 octave version, but I always run out of keys, so 4 octave was good. The AKAI MPK's look really nice, but I don't like the actual keyboard on them. They're also bloody expensive! :-/

Stiksi

Youtopia's question earlier in this thread is actually a good one. I know there are converters that enable connecting old 30pin connectors to lightning ports so do the Synthstations or Mobile keys work on the iPhone 5? Has anyone tried?

It's good that everything works with iPads but that's pretty much a given for any class compliant midi controller. The iPhone 5 is in between controllers at the moment. No dedicated solutions but still no CCK either.

Off-topicing a bit: I'm just getting ready to do the performance pad sensitivity tape mod on my MPK mini. Exciting times – I'm hoping for much improved accuracy. For anyone wondering, I'm talking about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvn5VNtbZ2k

tom_tm

Do it! I like the look of those little mpk's. I may try and get one of those too. It's nice having an arpeggiator on board too. Does it work well with Nano?

Stiksi

It's excellent with Nanostudio and one of the best documented controllers too (check the FAQ). Knobs really bring a lot to the workflow. Especially because they seem to override the hysteresis filtering NS does. However, you need to use OMNI mode because there's no easy way to switch midi channels on the fly.

The arp is cool and very easy to use but NS doesn't send clock so it's probably best to turn quantization off while recording the arp and then quantize afterwards. The keyboard's pretty crap unfortunately. I'm actually looking seriously at getting an MPD 18 because I'm thinking about getting into finger drumming and although the iPad screen is surprisingly good for it, I'd really like some physical feedback and velocity sensitivity. I can't afford anything better (can't even afford the MPD right now) but I'll see how the mod goes. Lost my timeslot yesterday and have to wait for another tonight.

The MPK mini is an excellent collection of essential features but it doesn't excel in any one of the individual components. I do love those knobs though.

tom_tm

*If* Matt incorporates MIDI clock in, like he said he was thinking about, this can only get better? I'm kind of wishing I went for an MPK now, but like I said, they were a little out of my budget. I've got an SS25, but it isn't quite the same.

Stiksi

You could possibly use another app to send clock to the MPK but I haven't tried it. Setting the BPM on the MPK is fiddly at best - there's only tap available.

tom_tm

Tap only? That's pretty crap. :-/

Stiksi

Well... It's got no display so how is anything else going to work?

Edit: sorry for not replying in rhyme.

tom_tm

What's wrong with a good old fashioned knob? ;)

Stiksi

And how will you know what the knob has done? A blinking light is the only indication the controller can give. That's about as useful as tapping the beat in.

tom_tm

120bpm is 'standard' tempo? A knob with a notch at the 12 o'clock position being 120bpm? Or you could have a rotary knob with a selection of different standard used bpm's? I dunno? I'm sure there are more ways of skinning a cat rather than just having a tap tempo? BPM mapped over the keyboard? Shall I go on? ;-)

syrupcore

I like BPM mapped all over the keyboard. Or the keys are the tens (50,60,70...) and then two inc/dec buttons. I had a General Music synth a decade ago and one of the cooler functions was using the keyboard to name patches and songs. White keys only, the lowest C was equal to "A", D was "B" and so on up the keyboard. The last C was 'backspace' and I think the last B was shift. Surprising how easy it was to use after a little bit. Definitely a million times better than 'tap left, scroll a wheel past all of the capital letters....'.

Stiksi

The MPK mini is kind of a bargain basement unit, the cheapest way to get pads, a keyboard and some knobs in one unit. I would be very surprised if Akai put any thought into it other than "hey we have these two controllers, let's slap them together". Yes, all those things are possible but they are also so esoteric that only a handful of synth geeks would actually use them.

It's also from a different era. Even though the MPK mini is relatively new, it's a USB only midi controller. When it was designed the iPad was just a glimmer in Steve's eye so basically the only use for the controller was to drive desktop DAWs which pretty much all send clock (except reason perhaps?) so even the tap control was probably thought of as excessive and out-of-the-box. The iPad brought back all the midi sync problems we (desktop DAWists, not analogue nerds) had happily forgotten. Akai is not known for its massively feature rich firmware updates so I'm guessing we're not going to see a change here unless they turn out a new version like Novation just did with Launchpad. Which is actually pretty droolworthy.

Maybe some of the other MPKs have better clock possibilities, I don't know…

Stiksi

I just did the performance pad mod on my MPK mini that I mentioned in comment #45. What a load of rubbish! I ended up either with pads that are always on or with poor response. Trying out different combinations of tape for four hours I managed to get three sort of ok pads but the rest still pretty much only respond to a sledge hammer. I might have a crap individual but I wouldn't bet on it. Any plans to buy an MPD 18 just went out the window.

tom_tm

Surely the trick of modding the pads is to get the right thickness of insulation tape? I reckon the thickness tolerance is all over the place? I wouldn't give up just yet. Get a micrometer (they cost about a tenner these days), ask the bloke on the vid what the thickness is of the tape he used, then using the micrometer, try finding the same tape thickness in as many shops as you can.

OTOH, because the Akai isn't a 'pro' device. it could be that the tolerance on these pad moulds is all over the place anyway (manufactured in several different factories?). If so, the micrometer idea won't hold, and each mpk-mini is in fact different. :-/

Stiksi

Judging by the video comments not only are the pads on each MPK mini different, but the pads are all different in my one unit. Electrical tape is so compressible that a micrometer is not going to be accurate but it's pretty much the same all over. Anyway, since it has to be electrical tape, I have limited choice. I'll probably crack it open one more time to see if I can do something to the two worst offenders.

Aristos

Has anyone used the iRig Keys with NS on and iPod touch 5th gen? I know the blip says core midi only works with the ipad but figure this is only due to the camera connection kit issue. As the irig keys has it's own connection cable I figure this should be overcome