Confirmed hardware/idevice/iOS/NS combo thread

71 replies [Last post]
LamptonWorm

Hi all,

Would it be handy/sticky to have a single thread of confirmed hardware/idevice/iOS combos, so people know when they buy something it will work with their setup? Something may already exist, sorry if so for the noise.

Here's an example, a real one from me -

Combo : I have iPod Touch 8gig 3G (aka 2G) with iOS 3, Synthstation 25 hardware, and NanoStudio 1.12 at time of writing
Confirmed : I can confirm I'm running NanoStudio 1.12 and using the Synthstation 25 hardware
Request : I'm after a uk amazon link to a confirmed working (and cheaper than Apple's) extension cable so I don't have to keep removing the case on the touch, the cable has to carry charge and audio.

Just an idea! Might mean there is one thread to go through when you're after this kind of info.

Cheers,
LW.

uncentered

Hi Lampton - that's a great idea, I have had heaps of questions that needed answers like this in the past. As it turns out i have a very similar set-up to you.

Answer: If you are talking about 'so you can still plug into the synthstation 25' then i can't recommend this highly enough:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SendStation-DEXT-BK-Dock-Extender-Black/dp/B000X...

The 'sendstation dock extender', i bough it myself so i could monitor on my iTouch with the Blue Mikey and as an added bonus i can use it with the synthstation so i don't have to remove the case. Genius.

I recommend using it without however, you get a much snugger fit and better playability.

Cheers

Bewar3them00n

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Extension-Generation-Support-Charger-version/dp/...
The blurb...................................................

The Top Quality (17 core/ diameter ?: 5mm ) Dock Connector Exthension Cable allows you to dock your iPod or iPhone from a distance or while in a case. Small diameter flexible cable provides connection pathways for power audio output USB data sync play controls accessory power and composite video. It does support S-video output or input for recording audio. ***Attention*** This Extension cable is NOT the cheap ( 4 Core / diameter ?: 2mm ) version, the 4 core cable is rather slim and poor performance, which only for sync charge NOT support audio and video transfer, Be ware that many dock extension cables sold are not support audio/video .
...................................................................................................................................................

I've just received this, far cheaper, quality cable, not had a chance to use it with synthstation just yet,(will try tonight) but it works with my music dock very well, plays and charges my 3Gs.
I will update this post tonight if it works with the synthsation.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Just to confirm that this extension cable works a treat with synthstation 25, and at £8, its a damn sight cheaper than any other cable offering the same function! It is a quality cable I might add too, well constructed, the socket and plug fit very securely, recommended.

LamptonWorm

Hi,

Looks good - can you confirm your model of iPod/Touch please? Also, does it work ok when you haven't got the mains plugged in, so battery off the SS25?

Cheers,
LW.

noda

I hope the ipad 2/iphone 5 have an usb port: I'm dreaming of a portable nano-combo: http://www.korg.com/nanoseries

- nanostudio
- nanoKey
- nanoKontrol
- nanoPad

Absolute portable music studio!! :)

Bewar3them00n

Hi,

Looks good - can you confirm your model of iPod/Touch please? Also, does it work ok when you haven't got the mains plugged in, so battery off the SS25?

Cheers,
LW.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LW,
Using iphone 3Gs, SS25 is running of a mains adapter.
Works as if the 3Gs was plugged into SS25 directly, no noticible differences
I've just tried it with an ipod touch 2nd gen, it seems to work ok, but haven't played any songs apart from the rock demo which came prerecorded, so I guess it will work fine with later models.

neut

I've just plugged a 8g touch into an alesis protrack and it works plays back through the headphone socket on the protrack and records samples beautifully. I have loads of music apps for the iphone/ipod but they don't work with the protrack like nanostudio does.

formal

Can you confirm if the Alesis protrack records samples in stereo or mono? My Behringer interface will only record samples in mono eventhough it's supposed to record in stereo.

neut

@formal I'll give it a try later (if I get a chance) and let you know. I think I had it set on mono recording without realising when I recorded yesterday. It would be great if stereo recordings is supported

atlatnessiti

KORG NanoKey with CCK on iPad works like a charm with practically no latency.
For studio use I use Carillon M1X1 USB MIDI interface running from my Novation ReMote SL MIDI to my iPad through CCK - also a winner :)
Sound output is handled by my Apogee FireWire interface directly from iPad - bliss...

Thomas A.

Akai LPK25 + CCK + iPad 2 + Nanostudio = works perfectly

ssante

I can confirm the Akai LPK25 + CCK + iPad2 + Nanostudio = works perfectly

m4tty

Yes I have ipad2 with mpk- mini works fine, just have plug in whilst iPad in standby for problem free use

:-)

ssante

I have confirmed the following works for adding guitar all within IOS.

iPad 2 + CCK + Nanostudio 1.21 + Ampkit 1.1 + Apogee One + Dynex 4 Port Powered Hub (sold at Best Buy).

took Nanostudio Mix (complete song) and copied to pasteboard
paste the song as backing track in Ampkit 1.1 (free since I do Jazz type guitar clean style)
use Dynex and Apogee One (iPad never blinked as it was seamless)
record guitar part in Ampkit
Copy guitar track to Pasteboard
Paster into TRG-16 pad

Worked perfectly.

sch

I can confirm the Novation ReMOTE 25 LE + CCK + iPad + Nanostudio = works perfectly also. Set the keyboard to General MIDI2.

sebastien73

I can confirm the M-Audio usb O2 keyboard with the Alesis IOdock through the old 5pin midi works well with an Ipad2 64GB and Nano studio.

By the way, i would like to buy an Akai MPD32 controller, is there anybody already experienced it with the Alesis IODock??

B-Lister

Has anyone tried akai MPK25 with irig and iphone4?

B-Lister

Hi guys,

looking for some advice- I have iphone 4 and I am hoping to pick up nanopad and nanokey. Can anybody tell me what else I need? irig?line6 midi mob?

also looking at the akai mpk25 but again- do i need irig?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

LamptonWorm

Hi,

It's an obvious one but just to say that iRig MIDI works with NanoStudio, I'm using latest NS on iPod Touch 4G and tried triggering some pads with a groovy 'lil Yamaha SU10 acting as a controller.

Cheers,
LW.

B-Lister

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a pad type midi controller to use with NS for iphone 4?
i was looking at the nano pad and the akai lpd8 but i think the are only usb.

please can anybody answer this?

much appreciation

pablo64

Hi B-Lister,

I'd recommend the Korg Pad Kontrol. It has midi out as well as a USB connection and the pads are the best feeling/most dynamic ones available.
I got one secondhand off Ebay for £70. Haven't tried it with Nanostudio on the iPod yet as I don't have a midi interface for that but will give it a go with the Windows version soon.
Here's a vid of a guy using one to play some ultra expressive drums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjYnJmxY2n4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

and another where they guy uses it as a tuned instument!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QGAZuSWq7Y&feature=related

B-Lister

Hey Pablo64,

Cheers for the reply dude:)
Great recommendation!Versatile little number aint it?

I would really like one of these but at the moment I need to get a keyboard controller- thinking akai ss25, midi mobilizer and i'd like some sort of pad controller like the lpd8 or nanopad. I just dont know if either pad controller would work with the iphone and line6 midi mobilizer- they both seem to be "usb midi" and i think this means they wont connect thru the midi mobilizer.Do you know if there is a cable to change usb to 5pin midi plug?More importantly... would this work?..

or if there are any other workarounds anybody has for using a usb-midi controller with iphone that'd be great!

Cheers XD

sch

I'm using the Akai MPKmini which has 25 keys as well as 8 MPK-style pads. (The pads can be toggled between two banks easily for using with the TRG.) It plugs into the Camera Connection Kit and works just fine with the iPad.

Cheers,

Stiksi

@ sch: He is looking for a midi keyboard for the iPhone 4, not iPad. MPK mini only has usb midi (I have one too). And as always, the camera connection kit only works with the iPad, so the only way to connect is Line 6, which doesn't support usb midi.

sch

Yes, you're right. Sorry, I didn't read enough of the post obviously. :)

Cheers,

Simon

B-Lister

Hi Guys,

sorry to bug again but looking to purchase the Novation Impulse 25 along with irig.
http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controllers/impulse/
will this comination work?it has midi i/o as well as usb-midi. it's usb powered so a powered hub is a must i guess?
it also has pads - if i could use these with NS it'd be sick.

i know its not top of the range but i'm on a budget - my question is basically is there any reason why this wouldnt work through irig and how difficult would it be to map the pads etc to work with NS?

i'm hoping to order this tonight so i can get some use over the chrimbo so if any of you helpful dudes can help i'd be really grateful.

cheers

pablo64

@B-Lister

The Novation Impulse 25 should work fine with iRig Midi. You will need to buy a compatible power supply for it if you intend to use it away from a computer unless one is supplied with it.

Mapping pads to Nanostudio should be straightforward but if you want to check you could always buy just the keyboard first and try it out with the Windows/OSX version of Nanostudio before investing in the iRig Midi. I'm sure it will work though.

B-Lister

@Pablo64

thanks again for your input and advice, really appreciate it!
i'll let you know how it pans out....

cheers
B

kktp

I'm using Novation 25SL MkII through Camera Connection Kit. Powered USB hub is needed to get enough power, though.

inevitable.craf...

hello, would be cool if the threadstarter could add every combination that runs ok to the first post, in case this gets longer, which i hope, also so that people dont repost combinations that are allready approved by someone.

iam still hoping that somedays my mpd24 will run or any other mpd ^^

Ruben.cc

The Akai LPK25 is also sold as "ION Discover Keyboard USB". It's the exact same hardware, thus also works perfectly on an iPad with the Camera Connection Kit running NanoStudio.

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/discover-keyboard-usb