TRG Maker 1.1 - 6/5

64 replies [Last post]
syrupcore

Update 6/5
A new version is up at http://luktown.org/random/trg/

New stuff in this version
- I think I've fixed most of the bugs I introduced last time. :)
- You can use the keyboard to trigger sounds from the Overflow area as well as move sounds up to the TRG: J+K or left/right arrows to scroll through the list, P or space bar to trigger, and U or up arrow to move sounds to the top.
- The clear button moves all TRG pads to the Overflow area so you can build a new kit but keep your 150 loaded fart samples loaded
- 'remove' on TRG pads moves it to the overflow. Delete in the overflow actually removes the sample from your browser
- Updated the help text

Browser requirements remain unforgiving: Firefox 7+ or Chrome 11+. Safari 5 will work if you don't need audio preview. Anything else will fail. With righteous vigor.

-----------------------
Update 5/30
I started building TRG kits from the drum machine samples at http://samples.kb6.de/ and kept getting annoyed that there were often more than 16 files to a folder and I had to presort them in Mac Finder so I started hacking...

New stuff in this version:
- You can now drag a crap ton of sounds into the browser. Any sounds over 16 are added to another list below the pads. You can trigger these like normal pads and drag and drop them into the pads area. When exporting the TRG, only the top 16 pads are included.
- You can retrigger sounds without waiting for the entire file to play (but they do not overlap)
- Chrome audio playback is a little faster
- Firefox 4 support
- Chuck is gone. Play button triggers a random sequence. Handy for sets of tonal percussion like bells.
- iPad support. Just kidding.

Stuff-I-know-needs-fixing:
- If you're in 'edit' mode and drag a pad from the bottom up to the pads area, things get visually screwy (but should still work) so don't do that.
- 'clear', doesn't clear out the lower pads. Eventually this will allow you to clear the pads area but keep your loaded sounds for building new sets. For now, just refresh the page if you really need to clear everything.

Update 3/16:
- Full zip export!
---- Now when you hit export you get a zip file that has everything you need to drag into Nanosync - a folder.trg containing the package.trg file and all of your wav files.
- Drag and drop pad arrangement is much more sensible (swaps positions instead of that cascading mess)
- You can use your computer keyboard to trigger sounds
- Looks better! A bordering-on-absurd number of tweaks. Matt was kind enough to share the original Nanostudio font. Looks great but it can render weird on some windows systems.
- Terminal Mode
- More help
- Other stuff(tm)

I haven't really tested this enough but hey, it's free right? Let's call this a beta. Let me know if you have issues and if you do, please tell me which browser you're using.

In case this version doesn't work for you and the old one did: http://luktown.org/random/trgv02/

--------------------------

Update, 1/30
Version 0.2 is up. New in this version:

- Audio preview with pretty lights
- Bus assignment
- Pad delete
- Anal CSS updates galore including NS style alert boxes and a sassy but useless home icon
- Hopeful fix for .WAV vs .wav stuffs (see below)
- Used the real TRG logo because I couldn't take the brush script (Hope it's ok Matt. If not, no problem)
- Chuck Norris approved

Audio preview makes the browser requirements a little steeper: You'll need Firefox 3.6+ or Chrome 8+. Nothing else supports it at this time. Safari still works otherwise, just no audio.
---------

Hey,

A weekend hack fest has come up with a questionably useful "TRG Maker". Drag some wav files onto it and it will do the grunt work of generating the package.trg file. Mostly, I had fun trying to replicate the NanoStudio UI with no graphics because I'm a complete nerd. Pretty close but that brush script is sort of offensive. Apologies! :)

I didn't want to deal with file uploads/downloads so at this point it's more of TRG 'helper' than it is a 'maker'. Instructions are available on the page.

This will only work with a modern non-internet explorer browser. No plans for that to change.

http://luktown.org/random/trg/

Hope it's useful.

Will

Septimo

Hey, I'm impressed! good job man... Now if we could hear the pad playback, just to make sure that the sounds match with each other, that would be awesome... instead of creating the kit only to find out the kick and snare didn't match so well.. But Really cool..

Blip Interactive

Hey, that's wicked - excellent work!

I had a couple of spare hours a while back so I had a go at trying to get drag and drop working in the PC app. Took me an hour to get the basic stuff in and then the second hour was spent scratching my head trying to work out it did absolutely sweet FA. I ended up getting annoyed with it and put it off to another time :)

Septimo

Please do so Blip.. That would be best.. even though this is ok for now.. Nice, Syrup...

syrupcore

Thanks guys. I think I'll have to cave on the logo and upload a graphic. Not many people have brush script and that's nit right anyway.

I'd love realtime preview too, but at this point, that would require uploading and downloading of the wav files. It's on my mind but not sure I'll ever actually do it. :) I have been meaning to learn more about the HTML5 file API so it might happen but I think it'll require firefox 4 or a bleeding edge version of chrome.

If I get back to it, LM4 and NI Battery kit converters are next on the list.

tom2000

great work!!!!

i found an issue.

i have a sample (WAV Stereo 16bit)
after using TRG Maker and exporting it into the iphone over nanosync it is behaving the following:

importing the Bank into TRG16 on the iphone there is a red name above one pad.
then, when i edit the pad (with the red name above) and assign the exact file that is on the iphone manually, it is working as normal.

exporting again via nanosync watching the Package.trg file showed be just an adjusted "End" point of the sample and some more empty pad assignings, but i'm sure this is not the point.

Im able to handle over that special TRG files, if somebody like to investigate about that!?

i'm pretty sure, that the problem is about this type of WAV file handle by the html5 API.

syrupcore

Hi Tom,

Thanks for investigating. I will look into it. Could you send both trg files and the wav in question to random -at- luktown -dot- org?

dendy

thumns up

syrupcore

@tom2000, thanks for sending me the files. I think I've sorted out the problem.

The web app was writing the Package.TRG file with the literal name of each wav file, including extension. The file that wasn't working has an uppercase extension (f_CYMCRASH7.WAV). Thing is, it looks like NanoSync automatically changes all extensions to lowercase (.wav). When you tried to load the Package.TRG file, NS couldn't find your sample because it was looking for f_CYMCRASH7.WAV but the local file had been renamed to f_CYMCRASH7.wav.

Anyway, I changed the app to write all files out as lowercase. Seems to work fine and the OSX version of Nanostudio doesn't seem to care about case. Not sure if that's true of the Windows version. Let me know how it goes.

Septimo

syrupcore... I salute you! Now it's awesome! great, great job, man...

olivegoose

hi syrupcore,
thanks so much for putting this together! it was much needed. having said that i haven't gotten a kit to open in nanostudio. i created a folder with 12 samples in it (all mono 16bit .wav) i placed them in order and pushed export. i copied the text and saved it in text edit as Package Trg. i stuck that file in the folder and named the folder "kitname.trg" or whatever. dragged it in via nanosync but i am unable to open it in the trg instrument?? what am i missing? is it because it's not 16 samples? i had to leave back to work before i could try it with 16.
thanks,
lori

syrupcore

@Lori Thankfully, number of samples doesn't matter.

Just to be clear, the text file should be saved as Package.Trg, not Package Trg.

Presuming it's named properly:

Can you open the bank in your computer version of nanostudio?
Did you drag the folder to the 'trg banks' folder in nanosync?
Can you see the trg file on your phone but it fails to open?

syrupcore

Double post

Cal

Just a thought. If you are on a Mac and you copy and paste the text into TextEdit, you need to "Make Plain Text" in the "Format" window before you save it as a .txt file (then renaming to .trg). Otherwise the file is saved as an .rtf file which will not work.

Another big thank you to syrupcore for TRG Maker. I am finding it a great time saver and a very useful tool.

olivegoose

thanks for getting back guys. cal i think what you're suggesting should do the trick. i am on a mac. i'll try it when i get home tonight...i think it's the .rtf file thing. i'll let you guys know if it works, and syrup thanks again : )

Cal

Just noticed audio preview not working in TRG Maker 0.2 when using Safari 5 on a Mac. Works great in Firefox though.

Cal

Sorry, ignore last post. Jumped in too quick - should have read the blurb.

repitorio

Thanks for the hard work syrupcore this is just what I needed.

olivegoose

hi syrupcore,

so i still must be doing something wrong...
i get the error message "Couldn't import bank file 'kitname'h" when trying to open in nanostudio on the phone and the desktop.
these are my steps:

1. drag nanostudio compatible files into trg maker
2. push export
3. copy text into text editor on my mac, format it to plain text and save it as Package.Trg
4. add that file to kit folder which is named 'kitname.trg'
5. open nanosync and drag folder into the TRG folder.
6. try to import in TRG in nanostudio and get the "Couldn't import file 'kitname'h

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i've wanted a tool like this getting nanostudio

thanks,
lori

syrupcore

Hi Lori. Sorry it's not working for you. Can you zip up and email me the folder you dragged into nanosync? That 'kitname'h business is weird.

olivegoose

hi syrupcore,
how do i attach the zip file? i didn't see an option like that when clicking the email link under your name.

syrupcore

send it to me directly: random -at- luktown -dot- org

Blip Interactive

Syrupcore - Welcome to the support team :) Bet you wish you hadn't started this ...

But seriously, if you need a hand figuring out anything to do with the file format or some other weirdness then you can always mail me at contact@blipinteractive.co.uk and I'll see what I can do to help.

If you need screenshots for the webtool then running the PC version and hitting the Prt Scr key is always a good way to do it. If not then I can supply you with the individual button graphics if necessary.

syrupcore

Thanks Matt.

Indeed, I made most of it by doing screen captures and then sampling colors in Photoshop to get the hex/rgb values. Some of the gradients are tricky but most have worked out. The circular buttons are mothers though but I'm sort if determined to do it all without images. Part of the point of building it was to get a chance to play with/learn more about CSS3 properties I have to avoid at work because of shitty browsers. I may hit you up for those circular buttons just so I can toggle layers and see if that reveals some CSS possibilities. They bug me every time I see them.

syrupcore

Turns out, 'Package.Trg' is wrong. It must be 'Package.trg', lower case extension. Testing fail (.Trg works fine on mac/win but not on the phone). Apologies to olivegoose and anyone else who ran into this.

olivegoose

syrup, you rock!

neut

could topic be this be stickied please?

syrupcore

'Hey, look mom! It's a sticky!' thanks nuet and matt.

elcosmico

Hello everyone it's good to finally join the discussion after months of lurking in the background... Sorry that my first post is a maybe stupid question, but there is nothing I can do to load a trg bank. I keep getting this message "Couldn't import file 'kitname'h

I really do think that I am following all the steps in all detail, including lower cases, trg extensions and all. And yet I still get the message.

Any suggestions?

syrupcore

If you want to send me a zip of your files I can take a look at it.

elcosmico

At risk of making a fool of myself publicly by admitting to the most idiotic mistake, I would like to add something useful to this post. It wasn't working for me because I had not installed the latest version of Nanosync.
So... make sure you check that if things aren't working...