Import MIDI Files

36 replies [Last post]
Vonnie

Does anybody know how to import MIDI Files?
I have imported the files via NanoSync (I'm see the files appear in the list), but when I'm looking in Nanostudio, I can't find the file.

I have version 1.12.

Blip Interactive

You can do this through the song editor:

- Tap 'Tools'
- Choose the 'MIDI File' tab
- Tap 'Import' and then navigate to where you uploaded the file (it should have a .mid extension BTW)
- The imported events are appended to the end of the song

You may wish to map controller numbers under MANAGE/MIDI beforehand if your file contains controller info.

More info in the manual http://blipinteractive2.co.uk/downloads/ManualHTML/1.40/NanoWeb06-Sequen...

Vonnie

Thanks!!! It works!

Filibogado

Same question but different outcome. I am a prior BIAB & Powertracks (PG Music) user and my primary use for the Akai SynthStation 25 is for portable keyboarding practice and performance, using pre-manufactured MIDI files as backing tracks while I play my melody or chords on the keyboard in real time, as opposed to creating new songs in step time. Using NanoSync, I connected my Ipad successfully to my Windows PC. I created a folder in NanoStudio, then tried to import pre-existing MIDI files from the PC Explorer directory. I got as far as the "Send to Device" button but when I go back to NanoStudio, I don't see any files with the .MID extension in there. Yet the transfer appears to have succeeded because when I attempted to resend the same files, I get the message "the file already exists - do you want to replace?"

I guess my problem is I am used to thinking in terms of a root directory structure with familiar commands like, Open, Edit, Save as, etc. whereas the NanoStudio only has "Load". Can you tell me what I'm missing here? Should I change the .MID file extension to .PRJ so they will be visible?

I'm also not sure what "The imported events are appended to the end of the song" means - what song? I'm not writing a song - I just want to play a MIDI file that someone elso wrote for me. I want to load that MIDI file and play it - that's it. I'm thinking Van Basco Midi Player or something similar instead of Cakewalk or Sonar. Some day, I might create my own arrangements, but not today.

I hope you can help. Thanks.

Fil

NanoSuSuSudio

"I got as far as the 'Send to Device' button"

Do you actually push the button? I know, I know... it's a stupid question but the way that sentence reads, it sounds like the button wasn't actually pushed and therefore completing the transfer... ;-)

But anyway, I myself never use the "Send to Device" button. I prefer the drag-and-drop method and it works perfectly to move midi files from the Explorer window into the NanoSync window. Also try putting the midi files in the lowest-level "root" folder for NanoStudio rather than your own personal folder which you created. I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference but that's how I do it.

As for the imported midi file being appended behind any existing data, I think that's just the developer's way of explicitly stating that an imported midi file isn't inserted at the current song position. So if you create a new song which is completely blank, the midi events will begin at the first measure of the song.

Blip Interactive

The drag and drop method's generally the first choice - I kept the 'Send to Device' button in because a few users reported that drag and drop wasn't working on their system, but having two methods to do the same thing can confuse.

As you say it sounds like the transfer went OK, I suspect you're just not looking in the right folder. Can you remember where you copied the .mid file to on the phone?

When you import a .mid file, it's added to the end of the current song to provide a simple way of merging compositions. If you're starting out with a blank song (ie. a new project) then you can ignore this bit.

Filibogado

Sorry, but I'm still stuck here.

After I activate the NanoSynch server from my Ipod Touch, then hit the Connect button on the NanoSynch Windows PC, I am presented with a window that has 3 folders, namely, 1) TRG Banks 2) Samples 3)Projects. Drilling down on the Projects folder, there is a folder underneath called Demos.

Here's the fun part: when I drag and drop my MIDI files into this window, they will drop alright but only on the root directory level , same level as TRG Banks, Samples, and Projects. It won't allow me to drop the midi files into any of the folders. I even created a new folder called "Fil" and the folder is displayed but I can't drop any content into it, just alongside it on the same level.

Now when I go to NanoStudio and hit "load", the default file loaded is "Minimal.prj". When I hit the left-pointing arrow, it takes me to a folder called "Demo" and that's it. None of the other folders described above, and none of the midi files that show up on the NanoSynch window show up on the NanoStudio window.

So how do I 1) drop the midi files into a folder that can be accessed from within NanoStudio? 2) why is the NanoStudio explorer window limited to only showing the "Demos" folder and none of the parent folders above it, i.e., in the upper levels?

I hope I explained it well enough, and thanks for any advice.

Fil

NanoSuSuSudio

I see what the problem is... It's not a matter of you looking in the wrong folder but rather being on the wrong screen within NanoStudio. You can't "load" midi files via the "MANAGE" screen, you have to import them through the "MIDI File" tab on the Song Tools window... which in turn is accessible through the Tools button on the Song Editor window... That "Load" button is only for project (.prj) files which is why nothing but project folders and files are showing up...

Filibogado

Thanks - that was it - I wish I had read the instructions more carefully, but it is working now.

I guess my problem is that, due to the excitement of the moment, I purchased this NanoStudio software thinking that I will use it mostly for jamming live while using backing tracks, much like Band-in-a-Box or IReal Book. I didn't realize this is a very highly sophisticated program for true song composers, not for mere players. So I went out and did further research and found out that something like "50 in One Piano" is more suited for my needs at this stage of my limited knowledge. The availability of the Akai Synthstation reinforced this belief that this is a performance, rather than an editing, program.

At any rate, rather than be discouraged, I will take this as a challenge and start learning how to create my own compositions.

As a starter, I am waiting for someone to write a tutorial on how to use this program to create a song from scratch but using a familiar melody. An idea would be to start a new project and create a song called "Londonderry Air" or "I Dreamed a Dream" by Susan Boyle. The tutorial should start from scratch and assume that the student has no knowledge of sequencing at all.

Just a thought - this NanoStation is the Rolls Royce of music programs but, having driven only a Land Rover, I just can't comprehend its complexities at this time.

Cheers,

Fil

syrupcore

"At any rate, rather than be discouraged, I will take this as a challenge and start learning how to create my own compositions."

That's the best thing I've read on the internet all day. good on ya.

syrupcore

Fil, http://www.bismark.jp/bs-16i/index.html might do what you were looking for originally. I haven't tried it but maybe someone else here can comment on it.

NanoSuSuSudio

That bs-16i app looks interesting but the developer's website is currently MIA so I don't think I'll plunk down the $4.99 just yet... but it would be amusing to have a little GM player on my iPhone especially if it's that really cheesy Microsoft "gm.dls" sound...

strata189

FWIW, the bs-16i app was updated just recently, has midi in AND out, and plays soundfonts.
I'd never used soundfonts, but they're quite interesting.

johnt

I can't seem to successfully drag and drop .mid files into the Nanosync window. They simply don't appear. I have tried at all levels including the root, but nothing seems to work. I even downloaded NanoSync again in case I had an out of date version - but that wasn't the case.
I've checked the manual but am obviously missing something critical! Any help v. gratefully received.
***Update - I resolved this by installing Nanosync on another machine, which then worked. Must have been the OS version of the old machine. Off to check that now!

Blip Interactive

My first suggestion would have been to update NanoSync, because the original/early versions didn't know about .mid files.

If you can drag other files (eg. wav) but not .mid files, I'd still suspect that. If you can't drag any files then OS/rebooting might be the problem. The NanoSync installer has to install a Windows Shell extension to do this and on the odd system it seems to cause grief.

johnt

Thanks Blip. My machine that didn't work is Windows XP. Strange why it didn't work but resolved by using my other machine. All's well that ends well! Off to record some drums from my Alessis kit.
BTW - best app on my iPod - I'm humbled by your skills.

dubwise

One bar beat in Molten, exported as MID, NanoSync back, new song, import, drag down to TRG.
I can see that there are notes in song view. They don't play. When I edit, I don't see the notes.

Ah, resolved. I dragged the pattern up into an Eden row, which has a wider note range,
and transposed them up an octave from where Molten had put them.

Awesome.

Jim Hanks

I know this is an old thread but I've also started working with Molten as a front-end to NS and discovered the same process as dubwise for transferring the Molten .mid to NS. It worked, but what a pain!

Is there any way to copy a file from one app to another without going through iTunes?

I tried iPhone Explorer but first of all, it has to be connected to the desktop computer, and beside drilling down inside Apps just gives a "File or Directory not found" error, e.g. trying to drill down into au.com.onereddog.Molten.

I know some of this is "by design" in iOS but there must be an easier way.

syrupcore

There's no way to copy midi files at the moment. There's been rumor of Sonoma extending their clipboard to include midi copy and paste.

spook1138

Perhaps going over old ground...but its always the fundamentals that frustrate me with new (FANTASTIC) technology.

I saved my 'compositions' as a midi file from my PC software and after a few attempts and reading the above suggestions actually got the first 'midi' file in Nanostudio.

However, when selecting 'import' from the song/tools/midi file section it only appears to load the first few bars (of silence) and only loads it to the mixer...it does not seem to spread or allocate the independant parts to sepperate 'tracks' - this is a 5 minute piece with 14 'parts or tracks' and I have upgraded Nanostudio to 16 instrument tracks

Making the assumption I am missing a thing or two (only purchased this mighty DAW a couple of hours ago) I write in hope of your guidance.

cheers H

Blip Interactive

Hi

It should spread each channel to a separate track. It begins at the first track (which as you've noticed is the mixer) but normally the only thing you have to do is 'select all' and move the whole lot down to your chosen instrument tracks.

If you wish, mail the MIDI file to contact@blipinteractive.co.uk and I'll try it myself.

spook1138

Hi your response time is as impressive as your product!!!!

Upon 'listening to what has been 'imported' it appears that only two tracks have been loaded, suggesting its an issue at the 'save' stage on my PC software.

On my PC Softeware I have five options - 1. Stream entire song to file, 2. stream all instruments to sepparate files, 3. Stream all channels to sepperate files, 4. export pattern as a midi file 5, export song as a midi file

I assume that option 1,2 and three output the full 'sound' files production etc and option 4 ad 5 output only the midi imformation, if ~i am correct then its one of these last option I need - I chose option 5 but it appears to bunch everything together (or some of it at least) option 4 suggestes that I would have to export each channel sepperately!!!!

I'm going to hve a look round my software forum for some sugestions...however any additional help would be greatly appreciated

Blip Interactive

MIDI files contain a list of tracks. Each track contains events, and those events can use any MIDI channel they want. Although the events are on separate tracks in your MIDI file, every event is still set to play on MIDI channel 1. NanoStudio goes by MIDI channel rather than track, so although it finds multiple tracks it adds them all to the same sequencer track because they're all on channel 1.

I tried loading the file into Reaper, telling it to spread across multiple tracks and then exporting again but the problem remained. Although Reaper allows you to set each track's MIDI channel, this setting must only override the event's channel during playback and therefore doesn't have an effect when exporting to a MIDI file. In the end I managed to fix in Reaper but only by going into each track in the MIDI editor, selecting all events, setting their channel manually and saving (file attached).

I suppose I could add an option in NanoStudio to split by track or channel, but this is the first time I've come across this. Ideally I wanted to leave all the options and complexity to the DAW used to export the file in the first place. It sounds like your export options may be limited in this case though.

Jim Hanks

spook1138,

What was the PC software? I've seen Propellerhead Reason output MIDI in this fashion. I have some home-brew scripts to translate such files into MIDI files that NanoStudio can understand. They are not really for general consumption, but I can try to get them to you if you want to play with it. Or if you have a particular MIDI file (or several) you want me to translate, you could send to me and I'll send back.

syrupcore

@Jim, what language are the scripts written in? I'm interested but not sure if I can run them in OSX. I might still be able to borrow the juicy bits though. :)

Jim Hanks

They are a combination of Windows batch files, Perl, and the MIDICSV tools (http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/midicsv/) so Windows-only I'm afraid. Sorry. I'll be happy to translate files for anyone that would like (as long as the volume doesn't get too high ;-) ). Just send me an email off-forum.

syrupcore

Sounds like something I might could port. Would you mind sensing them to me? random at luktown dot org.

jayteee

If possible can I get nano to play midi files at the moment I do not have my equipment here to hook up but I have something I want to try is it possible to have it play a midi file and if so can someone explain how to do this? Thank you.

instinctive

Err, isn't the whole thread you just replied to the answer to your question?

Blip Interactive

[with updated manual link]

You can do this through the song editor:

- Tap 'Tools'
- Choose the 'MIDI File' tab
- Tap 'Import' and then navigate to where you uploaded the file (it should have a .mid extension BTW)
- The imported events are appended to the end of the song

You may wish to map controller numbers under MANAGE/MIDI beforehand if your file contains controller info.

More info in the manual http://blipinteractive2.co.uk/downloads/ManualHTML/1.40/NanoWeb06-Sequen...

Stiksi

We need a new FAQ thread since the old one is not editable and the link for the manual has changed. Do you think there's a better way to do this than a normal forum post, which will cause problems with the spamguard?