How to create .trg file?

11 replies [Last post]
Ringleader

Ok so I've hand picked some drum samples and want to create a custom drumkit. I've uploaded the folder of .wav files to my phone in a folder named "DFH.trg" but Nanostudio can't open it. I see there is a "Package.trg" file in the other folders so I am assuming this is what I need to create. How do I do this? I am running Vista on my PC.

syrupcore

I've been saying I was going to write something up about this for a couple of months now. Promise to do a full write up soon. Until then...

There are two ways.

First way may be the easiest: load up nanostudio, go to the trg and edit each pad, loading your desired wav into each. When you're finished, tap 'export' on the TRG home screen and you're finished. You can import that TRG bank into any project you want.

The nerd way:
1. Copy one of the existing .trg folders on your computer (if you haven't, download and install Nanostudio for PC or Mac).
2. Rename the copied folder to whatever.trg where 'whatever' is the name of the TRG bank you want to create.
3. Go into that folder and delete all of the wav files
4. Also in that folder, you'll see a text file named package.trg (I think, I'm not on my home computer at the moment). Open it up in something like notepad (pc) or textedit (mac). Do not open it in Word or Write or similar - though I've never tried, those usually mess up text files with extra crap. At first glance, it may look like war games but if you stare a little longer, you'll see references to wav files for each Pad ( references. You can leave them in if you want and Nanostudio will just show the names in red since they weren't loaded.
6. copy all of your wav files into your new trg folder
7. copy the new TRG folder to your device with nanosync

(I think) :)

Ringleader

Thanks for your help. I tried your first way and it worked. I'm still experimenting with the pad layout but it's getting there. I'm loving the 3 bus options for adding additional effects. I never would have thought I could have Drumkit From Hell (albeit a very watered down version) on my iPhone to mess around with but lo and behold it's working! Now only if audio tracks were incorporated into Nanostudio then I could import guitar tracks from Ampkit and throw some vocals on top and I would be in creative heaven. And to think that all of this is on my phone. Unreal.

syrupcore

It is indeed amazing. You can do a lot with 8 or 16 bar guitar loops copied and pasted from ampkit.

syrupcore

Wow. I just noticed how severly that first post gut munged because I put in some XML. Sorry. Will fix it when I'm not on my phone.

syrupcore

'gut' munged. Stoopid iPhone.

Ringleader

I also tried importing guitar tracks from ampkit as you suggested and it works except when I am also using other drum samples to play along the guitar track suddenly stops. I have tried all the different hold and trigger settings but the guitar audio keeps dropping out randomly. Is this a memory limitation or another issue? I have 3GS.

syrupcore

I found the original via the back button. yay for too many tabs open. I can't edit that message for some reason. Here it is again.

The nerd way:
1. Copy one of the existing .trg folders on your computer (if you haven't, download and install Nanostudio for PC or Mac).
2. Rename the copied folder to whatever.trg where 'whatever' is the name of the TRG bank you want to create.
3. Go into that folder and delete all of the wav files
4. Also in that folder, you'll see a text file named package.trg (I think, I'm not on my home computer at the moment). Open it up in something like notepad (pc) or textedit (mac). Do not open it in Word or Write or similar - though I've never tried, those usually mess up text files with extra crap. At first glance, it may look like war games but if you stare a little longer, you'll see references to wav files for each Pad (<Pad0... <Pad1...)
5. In the text file, replace the references to the old wavs with references to your own wavs
5a. If you don't have 16 wav files, no sweat (thank you matt). Just delete all of the remaining <padX> references. You can leave them in if you want and Nanostudio will just show the names in red since they weren't loaded.
6. copy all of your wav files into your new trg folder
7. copy the new TRG folder to your device with nanosync

(I think) :)

syrupcore

You may be running into a polyphony limit if your drum samples are long and overlapping. Cymbals can eat it up quickly (like a ride that overlaps) but some drum hits are really long too with reverb/room tail included in the sample. Try setting them all to loop or hold and see if that makes it work. There are memory limits but I'm not sure at what point you hit them in practice.

chadbang

The nerd way does work. I just check it out. Thanks for your help.

Here's the way i did it. call it the lazy man's way:

Prepare your wav samples on your computer

Open Nanosync and create a folder called 'my samples' in NanoStudio

Upload your samples via Nanosynch into NanoStudio

Open your TRG-16 panel in NanoStudio

Import any trg bank (preferably one you don't mind messing up, like a free sample bank0

Hit the "edit" button, it prompts you to pick a pad. when you pick a pad it opens the sample editor

'Load" a sample from the folder you created called 'my sample"

Do this until you have all your samples loaded onto the pad

then, on the TRG-16 page, hit the Export button

Save as "my groovy guitar samples" or whatever.

you've just created a trg file with your samples!

Stiksi

You can also start from a blank TRG. No need to import a pre-existing trg bank. Actually it could be preferable because ready-made banks usually have settings on patches that you probably won't want to use. A clean slate is tidy.

syrupcore

What stiski said.

Or, http://luktown.org/random/trg/