Plastikman TB303

12 replies [Last post]
Pompey Chris

Hi, wondered if anyone could help, im trying to get a tb303 noise like Richie Hawtin (Plastikman), if anyone has ever heard any of his stuff you'll know what i mean (Sheet 1, Muzik era). I dont want to just sample a 303, i want to make the sound and be able to manipulate it. You know when you've nearly got it but then cant finish it...... im there. Any pointers would be well appreciated. Thanks

utilityname

Working on this lately, too. Google search brought me this:

http://emusictips.com/2011/09/emulate-the-classic-roland-tb303-using-logic’s-es1-softsynth/

Didn't find the Logic tutorial that helpful, but there's a link near the end to a video on programming TB 303 sounds in Ableton using Analog. Try to follow along with NS starting with an initialize/blank Eden patch, or start with the Nano-303 patch from Global Bank B.

I'm at the same place now as you seem to be: just short of that "right" sound. Three things I've found that help get me closer:

1. adjusting filter sustain
2. Adjusting amp release
3. Adjusting the length of the notes in my sequence. Try shortening the notes and increasing amp release.

If anyone else has any more tips or a patch they'd like to share, I would be very grateful for the $4 you'll save me from buying Rhythm Studio. Besides, I really like to do as much as possible inside NS before going to other apps.

Blip Interactive

Not sure if you'll get there fully, the filter topology's pretty different between the two. However if your patch is mono then a careful use of the waveshaper's soft clip and some EQ could inch you closer.

utilityname

Thanks for the tip. I should say, I actually like the sound I'm getting out of NS over an emu 303, more original sounding given the ability to change wavforms, and it's so much easier working with sequenced notes instead of patterns. Always fun to try to mimic the real thing, though.

As I've read, I know you're very busy with endless tasks, but if you're ever thinking about in-app synth modules, you'll have at least 1 customer.

Thanks for your responsiveness.

utilityname

Question: does anyone know how the "note" values would appear in a true 303 pattern? By this I mean: if one were to view a pattern from a 303 as if it was a sequence of midi notes, would the notes be short, long, or would they vary based on some setting? I'm getting unique results varying my note length, but I though maybe if I had my note lengths correct I could try to recreate the sounds more accurately based on filter/amp values rather than toying with note length.

syrupcore

It's only a guess, but I think the 303 probably only had blips, tiny pulses. The note lengths were regulated by the release or the decay on the envelope. Straight 16ths would probably do in nanostudio. To fake the bends, make sure the Eden is set to mono with portamento on and overlap the 16ths a bit.

Lee B

I think notes are the same length, sort of staccato, changed and controlled by the amp decay and filter envelope, except where you want to bend/slide from one note into another, where you would use legato i.e slightly overlapping the next note, in monophonic mode of course.

Cheers

Lee

Lee B

Don't you just hate that when someone beats you to it by seconds lol

Lee

syrupcore

I likes yours better though. Quality takes a little extra time!

Lee B

You're too kind!

Lee

oldlibmike

The Eden options are nice but I sort of prefer sampling to a point. I like to take a "clean" 303 sound from the Bassline app (or Rebirth, or Technobox, Rhythm Studio) and paste it in clean. I then use the NanoStudio cutoff and resonance via the xy box to do the sound manipulation - so sort of half sampling, half Nanostudio. I have a 303 example at: http://soundcloud.com/oldlibmike/303-1

Everybody needs a 303 after all!

utilityname

Sounds cool. Here's where I am with NS, put this together on my lunch break: http://m.soundcloud.com/utilityname/once-i-had-it-303-example

Obviously, I'm taking some liberties with the tone. I spread things out in the loop to distinguish the parts.

Was the 303 on your track sampled in NS or pasted in from Bassline?

oldlibmike

Very nice - sounds like it is getting close! The 303 in my song was sampled from Bassline, pasted to a TRG pad, put into Nanostudio as a part and copied/pasted (this was an older version of NanoStudio before each instrument had multi-tracks). By using a part, I could then record the sweep across all of them.

I have another piece with ReBirth (2 303s, 1 808 and 1 909) which I cut into 12 bar pieces, layered together and then put other NanoStudio tracks overtop of it here: http://soundcloud.com/oldlibmike/teknowledge

I love combining ReBirth grooves with other tracks - did a similar one with Garageband.
Let me know how your 303ing goes! I have almost all the 303 iPad synths - Bassline, ReBirth, RhthmStudio, TechnoBox 2, etc.