Production Newbie

7 replies [Last post]
DJ-Dfekt

Hi Guys ..Ive been mixing (vinyl) drum n bass records for years now and know my way around decks and mixer no problem. I have very little knowledge of using sequencers and the software NanoStudio uses, although I do have an ear for music. I was wondering how easy for a beginner this software was to use? Are there any good tutorials online? Are u guys who are making tracks new to this ? Or experienced? Cheers for any help.

- Olly AKA DJ Dfekt (UK)

shannong

Honestly, I think NanoStudio makes a *perfect* low-cost introduction to the world of sequencing. You can't get any lower-cost than $15 to $20 (US) and get all this:

4 melodic keyboard tracks with a great-sounding synth engine
A 16-pad drum trigger unit
A sequencer with both piano-roll editing and visual part/pattern arrangement
A mixer and several effects boxes

So $15 to $20 buys you: a synth workstation, a drum machine, a DAW/sequencer application, a mixer, and two outboard effects units. Walk into your local music store and tally how much buying the cheapest versions of all that will cost you.

Oh and you can do this on your couch, the bus, at work, anywhere!

Vingdoloras

I am totally new to making music, and I tend to say that I suck at making good sounding tunes (nevertheless I do love playing around with Xewton Music Studio, DopplerPad, many many other music apps for iPhone AND of course NanoStudio). Most apps never had a chance to be the first program I ever use, just because they are only useful for making short loops... I have no program to put these loops together on my PC (yet ;-P) and I was looking for an app with a sequencer that allows me to build full songs!

So, the first app I found that lets me do this was Xewton Music Studio. I tried to make music on it, and it was not too bad
(although I seem to have a problem with piano rolls because I have no idea which keys sound good together etc xD Apps like DopplerPad basically took away that problem by having an interface that doesnt look like a piano roll... even though it should be just as hard on DopplerPad for me, seeing it's interface distracted my mind from that "now which keys sound good, what to do next, OMG i have no idea" thought xD).
Still, I somehow got sidetracked and stopped using Xewton.

Now that I have NanoStudio, I am trying to make music again :-) The interface feels so polished and I just can't stop coming back to it again and again to try and complete my first song... it's magic.

Right... what were we talking about? Got sidetracked...

Definitely buy NanoStudio.

joechurch

im in exactly same postition as you olly been mixing jungle & dnb for years on vinyl and decided from the reviews i would buy nanostudio for my iphone, no experiance of making tunes however and im a litlle lost. im sure it will come with time and practice and hopefully a few tutorial vids.

from what i can tell though its a fine looking app and whats 9 quid neway? a few beers on a saturday night!

Blip Interactive

Here's a really simple way to get started at least:

- Create a new project
- Go to the TRG-16, tap 'Import' (on the home panel) and load a sample bank. Stick with one you like the sound of.
- Go to each Eden synth, and choose a preset you like the sound of.
- Tap 'record' and play one or any of the instruments. When you created the project, it set up a 4 bar loop for you.
- If you make a mistake while recording, tap the record button again and it'll change to a cross. Now any notes you play will be removed rather than recorded.

Once you've got a loop you like you can go to the song editor and arrange the parts into a song. Drag on the horizontal ribbon (the one near the top showing the song's bar numbers) to change the start/end points of your current loop.

To edit the parts themselves, double tap on them to see all the notes inside them (these are normally called note events).

Obviously there's a lot more to it than that, but you can build up loads of ideas really quickly like this.

LamptonWorm

Hi joechurch,

Ah you can move from mixing dnb to creating it :) I've done a few dnb tunes, Buzzard & Chop-Chop both done with NanoStudio - http://soundcloud.com/lamptonworm/tracks. The other tracks in that list are done with renoise tracker on a netbook btw.

NanoStudio really is a great introduction to sequencing, it is very well designed for quick workflow and easy learning curve in my opinion. Sit down and read the manual, youtube a few videos, and most importantly, get playing with the app :)

Cheers,
LW.

ttommy

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie NanoStudio user...have been using Garageband on my ipad for about a year...I am recording real drums which i am mixing through an Allen & Heath console into Garageband via the Alesis I/O Dock interface for ipad, which works surprisingly well...

I would like to record real drums into NanoStudio, since it seems to have have more options than the ipad version of Garageband, but i have yet to figure out how to do that. Do I have to import tracks from Garageband?, or can i record real instruments directly into NanoStudio?

As i said, i am a newbie, and there is probably an easy way to do this, I just haven't figured it out yet...I have been involved in recording for 40 years (I'm 62), but all my experience has been in the analog world...the digital realm is fascinating to me, but also somewhat confusing...

If anyone has a simple explanation or knows of a good tutorial on how to record real instruments into NanoStudio (assigning instruments to tracks, setting levels, etc), I would really appreciate the help!

Thanks everyone!

Slam-Cut

@ttommy: Welcome. NS is great, especially as a synth/sampler/sequencer, but recording audio tracks is not its forte. There are ways to work around this. One way is to record audio tracks in an app like MultiTrackDAW (which is strictly audio tracks, no MIDI) and then copy/paste those tracks into NS onto one of the .TRG pads (see the NS manual for complete details). The drum style pads can record fairly long audio tracks (don't remember the length off hand) but you might have to break up longer audio tracks into smaller sections (this is actually a great technique for those of us who aren't studio musicians capable of playing complete tracks in time with no flubs). So, NS be used to compose/sequence music that has audio tracks, but there are no audio tracks per se. The much anticipated updated NS2 (ETA: 2014) will almost certainly have audio tracks as well as a host of other features that will make Nanostudio pretty darn close to a desktop DAW.

PS Kudos for finding a thread that is almost 3 years old! That is some trick.... :o)