HUGE amount of Single Cycle Waveforms for free!

18 replies [Last post]
Sourced

Hi Guys,

take a look at this:

http://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/adventure-kid-waveforms/

Loads of waveforms :)

Regards

TurtlePilot

That is simply amazing. Exactly what I was looking for. Know if all the provided files are compatible with NS?

Sourced

The ones i tried worked fine so far.

TurtlePilot

weird. how come every sound sounds pretty much the exact same, its like .25 seconds of a random click. ive tested over 200 sounds and they're all a weird "click"

LoveAurell

You have to loop them in a sampler, for example the Eden synth in nanostudio.

syrupcore

Amazing. I dumped the entire folder via nanosync. So many possibilities.

HypnoToad

Thanks for this, looks good.

TurtlePilot

oh so it has to be one of the 4 synths?? how do you go about hooking it up with the synth? im noob.

formal

You can loop in TRG too if you set the pad mode to loop. But the WAV files will work best in eden since they are meant to played like synths. Check out the manual, the synths are very powerful :D

Slam-Cut

@Sourced: Thanks for the great tip! Those are awesome!

georgyk

The samples I've tried sound good, so far. Has anyone made NS banks with them ? Shall we split the work ? (me:lazy)

Slam-Cut

@georgyk: Splitting the work is a good idea. I'd be up for that. I wonder who else would be interested....

I tried a few of these waves, but I am having some problems with distortion. I notice it when I slide quickly over keys, glissando-like. Anyone else having a problem with this? (Note: I don't experience this when using Eden's waves or other samples, so it is not the Bose headphones).

AlleycatLA

Oh man, these are great! They make a really good starting point for sounds. Thanks for the link!

AlleycatLA

When you set these up to loop in eden, don't forget to play with the loop direction, especially the 2 back & forth ones. Because these loops are so short, you get a layered sound. Try with a good bass - Look out deadmau5!

Slam-Cut

@AlleycatLA: That was a good tip! I rarely use that, and it makes a noticeable difference.
Do you have any other tips on how to make simple samples more interesting? I'm not into the Chiptune sound, and it seems hard for me to get away from that without relying upon the effects.

AlleycatLA

@Slam-Cut: I hear ya. I'm trying to get lush complex sounds myself. I'm far from pro, I'm barely a hobbyist. But I love to tweak knobs, lol... With the new update putting most of the Eden sound tweaks on one page on my iPad, I'm understanding the process much better now. However, I'm just playing around and finding the loop bounce was just a happy accident. Hahaha. Stuff I'm looking into to "lush" up a sample:

1. Add a filter (try LP & use a bass sound) and Play with the envelopes. The filter will change thru time.
2. Add FX. I turn off all FX (instrument and mixer) to start to get a dry sound, then add in what I want.
3. Use the patchbay to assign variables that can change thru time (osc to pitch to get the idea). This probably is the greatest area for unique sounds. I'm just starting to get into this.
4. Assigning the XY pads to get expression while recording. The patchbay connects the pads to any variable.

Another area I want to get into in the future is the different mod's: mix, ring1, ring2, and sync. Basically anything NOT a sample. They seem less popular on the forum, and I bet if you get into synthesis theory a bit you can come up with some good stuff!

I hope some of this stuff isn't too basic & helps you out!
Mark

utilityname

Waveform pitch correction...

Anyone else having trouble getting the pitches correct? When I load a waveform and then cycle through the synth sound source options (ie mix, ring, mod, etc), the pitch of C3, etc. is off by about a semitone. Obviously, I can try tuning the waveforms to match the pitch of NS's builtin waveforms, but I was hoping there might be a more reliable way.

Am I missing something?

Blip Interactive

That's probably right. NanoStudio uses middle C as the reference point for the sample's pitch. If you know the number of samples in the waveform and the sample's rate (probably 44.1kHz) then you can calculate the period of the waveform and hence the pitch.

BTW haven't checked out these waveforms, but performance could be affected if they're under 512 or 1024 samples. This is because the sample player's optimised in such a way as to not expect a sample to loop at an extremely high rate. If the number of samples is low you'll get more optimal performance by using an editor to copy the waveform and pasting it to repeat several times.

Slam-Cut

@AlleycatLA: Thanks for those tips. I'll try them out when I get a chance. I'm more familiar with the Synth controls, and I seem to get better results with those when creating synth presets. The sample-based Eden presets seem to be less responsive to tweaking with the filters and patchbay. Unless I am doing something wrong, and I may be... I generally use effects sparingly so that I don't make presets that are CPU hogs, but occasionally I'll apply effects to the sample and re-sample it.

One thing I have yet to try is using a sample recorded on F, and tweaking the pitch to match C. In The Mod Page (under Load for samples) there are two buttons: Transpose and Pitch. I assume that I need to lower 6 semitones, but I'm not sure which button to use. Also, if the sample is specifically F4 or F3 do I need to match Eden's C4? Any tips? Anyone?

@Blip: please do look at those waveforms and let us know what you think. I suspect that I'll have to use them in Audacity first, then transfer to Eden, but I'd really like to hear what you think of them for Eden Synth.