Midi interface recommendation for Nanostudio 2 and iPhone X

8 replies [Last post]
gregski101

I apologize if this is already posted elsewhere - i did a quick search and did not see anything....anyway - I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the Midi In and Out capabilities will be - as I need to buy a Midi Interface to use with Korg Gadget while I wait for Nanostudio 2 for Iphone. That said, I wanted to buy an interface and its a higher priority that it works well with Nanostudio 2, as I'm assuming that will become my primary platform once released (soon after the iPad variant i hope...)

For example: Korg plugKey is an easy choice for use with Gadget, but it only has a Midi IN - if Nanostudio also supports Midi Out - I’d want an interface with both….

Any thoughts - or better yet, any hardware recommendations - would be appreciated - it needs to be compatible with the lightning port on the iPhone X - - and i want to use it to sync up with a hardware studio - or support recording from a midi keyboard....

THanks!

syrupcore

If you get the USB to Lightning adapter, any class compliant USB MIDI interface should work with any CoreMIDI app on your device. Apple makes a USB adapter that also allows charging for around $35.

Blip Interactive

As syrupcore says, you should be able to buy a bog-standard 'class compliant' device and connect it via the USB adapter. 'Class compliant' just means that it's an agreed standard which doesn't need a special driver.

If you want to go up-market (and less portable), I've been using the Steinberg UR-44 and it's pretty good. It also supports multiple audio in/out channels (which NS2 also supports), has mic pre-amps with balanced XLR and phantom power plus instrument level inputs and two independent headphone outs. Plus, if you flick a switch on the back it changes it from iOS mode to PC mode - so I also use as my main desktop audio interface too.

Man, this is starting to sound like an advert. But it's rare to find something that 'just works' and doesn't give you grief 20% of the time so I'm happy to recommend it.

gregski101

Thanks for the responses! One more point and sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but will NS2 handle both Midi IN and OUT? To put in simplest terms, I have an old school MIDI workstation (Korg Triton) and some other hardware (analog drum machine, etc) and I'm curious if I could slave NS2 to the Korg - or vice versa - slave the Korg to NS2? (By "slave", I mean i start the sequencer on one, and the other starts and keeps tempo....).

By the way, really looking forward to NS2, as I have been using NS1 on my old iPhone for years almost every day - to be able to write music during my commute has changed my life. I'm even considering buying an iPad, because I don't think I could wait too long for the iPhone version to come out and I can justify that this will become the hub of my home studio...AND because i can work at home and then i can take it on the train....its like I'm living in the future LOL.

I tried Gadget and it has some things it can do well - but its not even as good as NS1...so NS2 should prove to be incredible.....in short, thanks for all the hard work!

Slam-Cut

@gregski101: I’m guessing that you’d want to use NS2 as the sequencer/master and any keyboard synths as slaves. I remember trying to sequence on a Korg M1 - horrible. I had much better luck with the Ensoniq SD-1, but NS1 blew that away, so NS2.... yeah I doubt many hardware sequencers can compete.

PS I’d get an iPad if I were you. I really enjoy my Air 1 and all the iPad only apps.

Blip Interactive

NS2 supports MIDI in for any track and has an 'External MIDI' instrument you can put on a track which basically just outputs that track's MIDI events to the MIDI device/channel of your choosing. The MIDI device can be a hardware one (ie. via a hardware interface) or a software one (eg. another app running the background which offers a virtual MIDI input).

Sadly, I've had to move MIDI clock sync/start/stop to my V2.x wishlist. I've written most of it but getting the sync to work nicely is a bit of a black art and I decided it needed some more love before it was ready for prime-time. So for initial release the only sequencer slave/sync option will be Ableton Link, but obviously that's a software solution which only works between iOS devices and PC's on the same Wi-Fi network.

BTW I've still got my Korg 01/W from the early 90's and I used its sequencer loads. I thought it was really nice considering it had just an LCD display and a handful of soft-keys. The only problem it had was that if it was running a busy sequence and you changed a UI page, it would sometimes stall the sequencer's timing. Bless its little single processor.

Slam-Cut

Thanks for the info on the MIDI situation Matt! That's good to know. I'm glad you're planning to spread some love for the hardware.
I never tried the O1/W. The M-1, while awkwardly usable, was frustrating enough for me to give up on trying other Korg sequencers. I imagine they have come a long way and the current Korg workstations must be a lot better. I was fortunate to have a teacher in college who introduced me to the Ensoniq synths. I really got on with it and found it much easier to sequence. Sometimes I think it is just a matter of how different people think and what they are exposed to and at just the right time. Having an experienced teacher be able to show you how the sequencer works certainly helped in my case. I'm a bit curious about trying out the old SD-1 again, 20 years later, to see how I get on with the sequencer, but I'm sure I'll like NS2 better.

anickt

The ESQ-1 sequencer was my go-to for a long time. I could save its files to floppies on my Mirage rack! I also had the M1. Not too bad but not quite as smooth as the ESQ. I also had a MIDI to CV converter for my analogs. The good old days!

pianoyan

I learned to sequence on my 01W HD - only sold it a few years ago. That tiny screen! The only way to get a dry kick was to send it to a different output as I remember. Also had the best pedal steel sound I've found on any keyboard. Then again, I moved onto doing all my drum sequencing on an Alesis SR16. Glutton for punishment.