Back to the future with an iPhone 3GS and Synthstation 25..?

11 replies [Last post]
pummelfee

It sound quiet crazy but i like to try out the following:

I have a 3GS and someone doesn't need his Akai Synthstation anymore. With my old Synthstation, after updating the 3GS to iOS 6, i had so much latency and wrong notes that this combi was completely unusable, so i sold the ss25 on ebay years ago.

The reason i want to give it another try is, i have read that Apple still have signed the old iOS 4 for the 3GS and it is possible to downgrade.

Now is the great question; do you think it is possible to download a working old Nanostudio if my 3GS would finally be on iOS 4?
When i had an old iOS, the Appstore said usually something like "you cannot install this version, but you can install the latest version working with your iOS"...

And another reason why i would like to go back in time.... When i extensively used the iPhone (or an iPod touch 2G) in 2011/2012 i was very very sick, i had to stay long time in a hostpital but the good side was that i was so productive and creative with this Synthstation combi, maybe because of the limitations, i don't know.
Today we have Cubasis, Gadgets, Sunrizer, Thor, Nave etc..... Don't know were to start.
The other thing is... after a day in front of a pc screen i have no more energy to look into the iPad in the evening.
A tiny Synthstation 25 workstation could be a good alternative to a groovebox like Korg Electribe or the JD Xi from Roland.

Slam-Cut

Although I have not used mine in a while, I remember the SS25 working fine in iOS 6. I would start there and give the set up a try before you try downgrading iOS. I’m not really sure, But in theory, Apple will install the last version of an ap that the iDevice/iOS combination will allow, so there might be a way to get just the right combination of app/iOS. Interesting experiment. Let us know how it turns out.

pummelfee

Today i unboxed the Synthstation and i was right, the iOS 6 leads to latency and dropped notes. So i went back to iOS 4 and this works perfect. OK, one essential thing does not work; the headphone output is silent (the rca's are ok). the 3gs used to stand in a speaker dock, so i think the synthstation headphone output is broken. i think i will sell it on ebay and look further for a working device. or can you tell why no sound is coming from the headphone out?

Slam-Cut

The only recommendation I have is a thorough cleaning of the Audio Jack. I use plastic toothpicks and those tooth picks that are made with a tiny brush-like end. Lint can build up inside the Audio Jack and prevent connection with the male end.

Atticus

Great idea pummelfee. Limitations lead to so much more output and creativity. Trouble is I've never managed to limit myself when I've had any other option available and like you say, nowadays... where to start!

pummelfee

A working Synthstation 25 arrived today! My aim is to do my songwriting exclusively on this environment, then export the wave tracks intro cubasis und then go on with all that high-tech app stuff i have there to finish that song.

I found out that i simply cannot limit myself if i have an environment with endless possibilities... I rather try to use this as a tool. But for beeing creative it is not what leads to any usable results, only to hundreds of 4 or 8 bar loops if i am honest.

I keep you up to date.

tom_tm

Good luck with that. The Synthstation 25 is really horrible. I got fed up with the latency and because the thing is so badly built, it eventually stopped working anyway, regardless of iOS upgrade. Some qudos to Akai for trying, but in this case they could have tried a bit harder, perhaps with a mk2 version, listened to their customer base and perhaps instead used actual core audiomidi rather than their own non-proprietry bollocks.

pummelfee

Latency is not an issue with iPhone 4s and the lOS 9, i was surprised. Same for iPhone 3GS!
Maybe anyone who has such problems should try to reset the OS, i made a fresh install of iOS and it runs perfect.

I also got the Korg electribe 2 to compare these both solutions directly. A dock like the Synthstation 25 with a Nanostudio-powered iPhone is by far a better setup for songwriting. electribe is good for live performances.

syrupcore

> I also got the Korg electribe 2 to compare these both solutions directly. A dock like the Synthstation 25 with a Nanostudio-powered iPhone is by far a better setup for songwriting. electribe is good for live performances.

Impressive endorsement. I imagine the E2 is better for quickly banging out patterns of a particular type but for building up *songs*, linear timelines and piano keys are mighty useful.

Slam-Cut

I find linear sequencers most useful because often I have to set a project aside for anywhere from a few days to weeks. In loop/scene-based sequencing I forget what is what, and even in the Song Mode of this style of sequencer it is not as clear as the visual clues I get from a linear sequencer. I don't have iElectribe, but I did just get Electribe Wave since I do love me a Wavesequence synth.

mashipx

korg gadget has some greats synths.....sadly the loop based sequencer lets it down massively...
NS2 will be my master of all things, controlling other synths etc. NS just simply works, being a cubase user on my studio rig i feel at home with NS when im out and about creating.
i even prefer it to cubasis.. that app just tries to be cubase and fails...
i have my money at the ready set aside for NS2 and any optional addons. the day cant come soon enough as my ipad is ios11 soon to be 12 if NS2 requires it.

Slam-Cut

NS2 seems to be compatible with iOS 9 and later. I’ll be using it on an old iPad Air on iOS 10 as well as an iPhone 8+ on iOS 11. I won’t try iOS 12 until much later. It must make it difficult for Matt to keep up with the changes in iOS.