Bought myself a time-machine

9 replies [Last post]
georgyk

Bought a 4S just to run Nanostudio again. I restored a backup from 2015 and was rewarded by the vision of a pristine NS environment.

It was like meeting a long lost friend and find out he still looks so young, though he’s now a bit a bit slow.

This is a such a beautiful beast, so small yet BIG sounding.

https://instagram.com/p/BjheB1yn357/

Slam-Cut

Fantastic! I kept my old 4s for just the same reason.

netsvetaev

In 2013 I'd use iphone 4s. Unfortunately, three years after all its buttons were broken and there are no new spare parts.
Then I bought 5s, but upgraded to ios11 and tired of waiting NS2, so had ordered ipad 2 with similar to 4s hardware just for NS1 :-)

Slam-Cut

Nice! iPad 2 must have been a resonably priced tablet, and it has an audio jack. That’s convenient. Anything with iOS 9 or 10 should also be able to run NS2, and I think having both apps on the same device will be ideal for transferring old NS1 projects to NS2 projects. Especially once audio tracks are available.

netsvetaev

Yes, ipad2 is fine, although mini2 or 9.7 with similar to iphone 5s hardware is more smoothly running without glithes. (had some when playing ns1 on hi-quality rendering mode)

Now I'm trying to figure out how to record my gear to ipad without a PC and with maximum sound quality. Already know that it's possible to connect usb interface to ipad through camera kit. But I wonder if ipad do some audio processing itself or just receiving raw data from connected audiocard, 24/96?

And second question is a mixer. I want to record with and without hardware effects, separately. One device at once is fine, but divided into two tracks. Like dry synth sound and same synth with reverb. Maybe one track directly to ipad and other to some recorder/dictophone for dry backup storage and future processing.

Ha. Sorry for off-topic.

nano

blip 2017 : " september " .. :D

.. ?

dendy

> But I wonder if ipad do some audio processing itself or just receiving raw data from connected audiocard, 24/96?

Just receives data, no processing ..

Slam-Cut

Yes, I have this same issue of how to get sound into my iPad. Last Nov/Dec I tried to use both iConnectMIDI 4+ & iConnect Audio 4+ with my labtop with only mixed results. I had to give up, and just went back to iPad & NS1. I am not looking forward to the headache, but sometime this summer or fall I really need to get the iConnectMIDI&Audio to work with my iPad so I an use my external gear (including some FX as well). I hope NS2 will help make all of that easier...

netsvetaev

I will try this method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH9mbnjqHqg
Also saw ALESIS iO Dock and Behringer iStudio IS202, but dont know about their ADC quality. So I plan to record through id14 connected to laptop first, then try to connect it to ipad. But if fail this way (maybe ipad 2 is too old?), I will buy tascam recorder/dictaphone like dr-05 or dr-40 and connect to harware instruments before effects for backup tracks.

syrupcore

> Yes, I have this same issue of how to get sound into my iPad. Last Nov/Dec I tried to use both iConnectMIDI 4+ & iConnect Audio 4+ with my labtop with only mixed results. I had to give up, and just went back to iPad & NS1. I am not looking forward to the headache

Sounds like a mega headache to use both at the same time because of the way the MIDI version wants to take over the audio streams but doesn't provide any analog audio IO! I think it would be a lot easier with just the iConnectAudio and then a regular MIDI thru box/patch bay. That's what I do anyway. All the DIN MIDI stuff, including the iConnectAudio's DIN MIDI in/out are connected to an old 8x8 MIDI patch bay. All of the USB MIDI stuff is connected to a USB Hub which is also connected to the iConnect. All external audio is plugged into a mixer which is routed to the iconnect's analog inputs. Can route everything everywhere. Caveat: I use it with two iPads, not an iPad and a computer.