IAA for NS2

21 replies [Last post]
l.b

So we're all waiting for NS2. Drooling. And we all know that NS2 will support AUv3 but not IAA. But I don't know if it's possible to host IAA within an AUv3 and if there are any audio unit apps out ther that do it already. Do you guys know?

Slam-Cut

I do not know, but if I catch your drift, you mean if an app like say AudioShare, which can host IAA apps, was itself also an AUv3 app, then we could have IAA inside NS2 via AudioShare. Right?

This sounds interesting, but I will speculate that the inconsistent standards and varying degrees of efficiency in coding could result in some problems, if such a thing ever materialized. I think a simpler option might just be using MIDI out from NS2 and recording the audio into AudioShare. Copy/Paste audio file into Slate until Audio Tracks are ready. That hypothetical workflow seems quite workable to me. This is similar to my current NS1 workflow, just not triggering MIDI out from within NS1.

More apps are adopting the AUv3 standard, so I think this trend will continue to grow with new apps. The hard question is how will developers not lose money adding AUv3 functionality to old apps. IAP upgrades seem viable to me, but I believe we should do everything we can to support these devs before it is too late and more great apps get lost as abandonware.

tom_tm

IAA is something that Audiobus put together when there was no such thing as AUv3. Now we have AUv3, IAA may be somewhat pointless? And Blip never liked AB anyway. So perhaps we won't see IAA in NS2. Who knows...?

syrupcore

I don't think that's possible. Since NS2 will support MIDI Out you can still host IAAs in Audiobus or AUM and send MIDI to them. In order to bounce the whole thing (NS2 instruments with the IAA apps), you'll need to capture the output of the IAA instrument(s) to an audio file and then import it/them as a sample.

l.b

Aye. Thanks guys.
That's all nice with MIDI and all, but in this particular case I'm having a moan about not being able to use effects like AUFX... or Turnado or WOW or Filtatron or Frekvens...
I would definitely agree that IAA is going where JACK went when IAA arrived, but there are some useful effects out there that don't seem to be moving towards AUv3. So an AUv3 app that hosts IAA apps would definitely be received with open arms. I would argue that at least conceptually this should be possible. A hypothetical IAAbridge app, even when instanciated multiple times, could still point to the same IAA app instance. I would be happy with this limitation, as it's exactly what I've got atm.
Food for thought for all those devs who read the NS forum looking for inspiration... ;)

dendy

What if build in FX's will cover 80% of all needed FX's and rest will be easily replaceable by AUv3 effects ? There is already (with just few exceptions) availabe every imaginable FX as AUv3 in superb quality ;) Think different :-)

on other side, AUv3 IAA bride would be interesting, but not sure if it is possible for AUv3 plugin to host IAA app...

Cinebient

Sorry, no. Synths are mostly fantastic on iOS but FX are a weak part yet. As well as FX i can modulate within a synth. I hope NS2 will cover something of this.

dendy

> Synths are mostly fantastic on iOS but FX are a weak part yet

You don't know how good are FX's in NS2 ;-)

But ok, which type of FX you're missing on iOS (in good quality) ? Asking cause i found all i need in AUv3 format ;-) - great reverb, delay, chorus, flanger, parametric EQ, filter, distortion/overdrive (including multiband), all kind of compressors (including multiband), Transient shaper .. only thing i didn't found is Phaser (a part of VirSyn AudioEfx bundle is phaser but just very basic, mediocre sounding)

Slam-Cut

@I.b: I’m not sure about your workflow, but why won’t MIDI work? If you have synth X audio output routed to FX Z and you trigger this with sequencing in NS2, capturing audio tracks in AudioShare or MultiTrack DAA or whatever, everything about your current workflow is preserved. MIDI out just making it easier to sequence in one place. The only thing you could not easily do (but not impossible) is add IAA FX to NS2’s Obsidian synth or Slate pads.

I think the issue of getting IAA supoort in NS2 is that it causes a great amount of headache for Blip. The spotty code from other apps will cause issues. AUv3 may not be perfect, but it seems like the future of iOS synths & FX. Hopefully more devs will make their synths & FX compatible with the AUv3 standard.

Cinebient

Oh i hope the FX in NanoStudio 2 will be aweseome.....Galaxyexplorer is waiting to come back finally :)
I know there are some O.K. FX but while some synths sounds really on par or close as things like Repro etc. i find that there isn´t any good reverb f.e. for the sounds i like. Delay also could be better like Replika XT and saturation is really a weak part in any synth (beside Model D).
But i only have an iPhone and maybe there is something better for iPad.
However, i really miss NS1 hard since i´m on iOS 11 and i really hope NS2 will be ready in my lifetime....:D

dendy
Cinebient

Replika XT and reverbs like B2 and even the new Logic reverb is in another class really.
But since i know now that the synth engines can get really close on iOS i guess FX could be on a better level too.
Of course no one will port their flagship FX tool to a 10 dollar app, even if it would run fine on the latest iPads.
Actually i find Model D is the second best sounding software synth i heard yet. Only my favorite P900 beats them all in terms of analog power...even better than some hardware.
Also there are some great experimental FX i don´t see on iOS yet like binaural granular tools etc. which would be awesome on a touch screen to control. There are other synths with special FX i don´t heard anywhere else like Alchemy and the iOS version isn´t more than a player sadly.
Of course i doubt most iOS users even want or need that so i guess it´s all fine and i´m looking forward to NanoStudio 2 and i still have the option to mangle it further trough my favorite mac FX and/or Logic.
The biggest thing is that in most desktop synths the included FX are good or very good and you can modulate them often as part of a preset which brings really life into a sound beside the usual filter sweeps, LFO´s and FM thingies.

tom_tm

"Dough Soundtestroom"??

Doh!

.... I'll get my coat....

dendy

I know that it's "Doug", it was just typo :P

tom_tm

I know. :D

Slam-Cut

Actually guys, Dough is Doug’s brother from a different mother. He runs he Sound TASTE room.
Wine I believe.

tom_tm

Haha!

tom_tm

Fast and bulbous...

l.b

You lot... ;)

Maybe it's time for some changes. I did think Kosmonaut looks interesting. Might get it. Cheers for other tips too.

Slam-Cut

I really think the AB & IAA workflows that people have created will still work for some time to come. AUv3 is poised to be the way most of us work in the future, analogous to how it works on PC/Macs. I hope that devs will give us the opportunity to get their apps as AUv3, and most of us will be happy to support those devs with getting AUv3 as IAP. I have not heard anyone speaking out against this model, so hopefully it gathers more steam and devs get paid fairly to bring AUv3 support and we all live happily ever after with rainbows and unicorns. (Just checking to see if anyone was still reading)

syrupcore

Turnado is a solid example of the sort of effect app we're still missing as AUs but really it's only a matter of time. New AU effect apps are landing regularly at this point.

And while it wouln't be real time, you can always bounce a NS2 track and then use it in AUM/Audioshare/AB to send it through still-IAA-only FX like Turnado.

nano