Old stuff

4 replies [Last post]
pixelblip

Hi there
I was just pottering around yesterday and found my old Ipod 3. Thought ok let's fire it up.
It's amazing Nanostudio was still on there. When you look at the resolution of the Ipod 3 - what is it 320 by something - it made me think about our expectations today and the way they go up vs designing software that perfectly functions on something with such little resolution ( and memory!). A credit to the programmer.

I think I spotted Garageband on it as well....I wonder how that will run.
It also made me think we spend so much time fiddling with stuff rather than making music. Going back to IOS 5 is a lot easier on the eyes if you ask me.....

Sometimes with all their software updates and the way we are pushed onto the new stuff - you wonder are you really any better off?

I found my old Ipad 1 and fired that up. It still plays youtube ok in Chrome!
I might do a 180 and start regressing back using the old stuff people consider doorstops.
Some of my best tunes were done on that Ipad 1 with NS and Beatmaker. Less is more sometimes eh!

Slam-Cut

You make some good points. If the iDevices still work, keep using them.
I am however intruiged that your place has so many old iDevices laying about waiting to be found.

tom_tm

"I am however intruiged that your place has so many old iDevices laying about waiting to be found."

You're not looking at this in the correct perspective! It's like playing with records on turntables. Where normal people would just sit down and play one record at a time, those who have a brain like John Cage (or Kool Herc if you like...), would be more likely to want a whole load of records all playing at the same time, in order to create a wonderful racket.

Slam-Cut

I am all for old iDevices and using them. I have a lot myself. I was comenting on how there were so many iDevices being “found.” Were they hiding? Were they forgotten about? What’s going on in Pixelblip’s house? Are there iDevice’s waiting to be found everywhere like some useful new version of Pokemon Go wherein you find iPods and iPhones if you just look hard enough?

It would be nice to the world like that.

pixelblip

Well an Ipod 3 is put away in the back cupboard because of it's age.....same as Ipad 1 - they are worth nothing now......I don't keep them to hand .....no...........and yes sometimes I pull old things out and have another go......so it is re-discovering technology
The problem with an Ipad 1 is the browser situation.....so really that gets relegated to the back of a cupboard.......but like old computers sometimes it's fun to go back and use Cubase on a 1999 Imac and use the Steinberg Neon VST