Sequencer screen shots

27 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

No one wanted me to change the sequencer too much, so it works in a extremely similar manner to NS1. However, I've tried to 'augment' the workflow without changing the original premise. For example, you can double tap the ZOOM button to perform a context-sensitive zoom (eg. toggling between the whole arrangement and the selected parts) rather than doing the 2 step ZOOM -> SELECTION in NS1. Similarly, double tapping the GRID button with toggle the snap on/off and double tapping SELECT toggles the selection mode.

I've kept the drag handles for horizontal/vertical movement, but also added a long press on a selection which allows you to free drag parts or events on both axes:

Another example showing tempo/time sig tracks and an NS1-like popup menu at the bottom. When you duplicate a part, you can choose to make it 'linked' so any changes you make to it are reflected in the other linked parts (similar to NS1's 'pattern'). At any time you can break that link via the ACTIONS popup menu:

The sequencer also supports multiple selection of tracks if you need to re-arrange them in bulk, and has an extended 'Add Track' popup for grouping tracks and creating extra lanes within the same track:

Basic pattern editor (ie. MIDI note events) view:

Same view zoomed in more, with the ACTIONS popup open. You can copy/paste selected events within the same pattern, or to a different pattern.

With QUANTIZE in action. Green denotes events which are the most on-beat (according to the current quantize settings) and ranges to red for those which are the most off-beat:

You can also edit note velocities in the top half of the screen but I forgot to take a screen shot of that. :)

Finally, an example of editing automation. Automation can be on the track or within MIDI clips. Again, you can copy/paste automation selections (to different automation tracks if you wish) and there are various options to automatically clean up points, quantize, duplicate multiple times etc.

jwmmakerofmusic

:D So excited!

Slam-Cut

Slate is the new name for the new TRG, ...right?
This sequencer looks great.

tom_tm

Fantastic. Just fantastic. App of the year.

Pipstyles

Well, I need big a glass of water now, as I've been sat here literally salivating at these screenshots. This looks incredible!

(Minor, but probably, actually quite tricky feature request for V1:
I've mentioned elsewhere that even though audio tracks will be an IAP, a very simple, single stereo guide track would be a *super* useful feature for some workflows. When a friend or client sends a track with singing and playing an acoustic with vocal (for example) that they've played to click, then to drop that on a track which just plays along would be very liberating. The current workflow is to slice the recording up into chunks and playback on TRG (now Slate). A guide track would need nothing other than mute, solo, volume and (optionally) balance/pan.)

syrupcore

@pipstyles since NS2 will support Link, I wonder if you could load the stem into an AUM File Player and have it stay in sync while NS plods along it's timeline? I've never really tried long file sync like that over Link.

Slam-Cut

Slate’s pads will be essentially unlimited length, so using a pad as a guide track would mean no cutting up the file into chunks. Once audio tracks are available, I would assume one audio track could be used as a guide track. And I’m assuming that you aren’t asking about something super accurate like SMPTE, right?

tom_tm

SMPTE? Ooo-err! Looks like that release date may now be extended by another couple of months.... ;-)

dendy

Solution is simple - matt should sign in into some experimental cloning research .. imagine 10 matt's working simultaneously !!!

alexbuga

I'm curious, is the UI still written in a separate library? or it's UIKit?
Which leads me to the next question :D
Will it be OSX compatible also? Honestly I haven't used it that much on OSX but it sure was fun to play around with it while at work.

tom_tm

'Will it be OSX compatible also?'

One can only hope. But yes, I too would love this to be a possibility!

Slam-Cut

10 Matts would be a great band too. They all play MIDI controllers with NS2. Awesome.

I think eventually porting NS2 to PC/Mac would be an excellent move. I’d buy it again just for PC use.

Nu2moro

I’m looking forward to this like a kid who knows he has a new bike for Xmas! :-)

tom_tm

This'll be more than a bike.... More a control panel to nuclear power station! Now imagine being a kid in one of those? ;-)

Blip Interactive

UIKit's crap. Very slow and resource heavy - but the main thing is it's iOS only (even its API uses a stupid language which no other platform understands). So I still use my own C++ UI renderer, which means I can write it once and it potentially works on all platforms. It costs me more time up front and means that things which would be 'easy' in UIKit I have to code from scratch. But it'll pay back in the long term if (for example) I want to bring the app to Android.

I may bring out macOS and Windows versions once the app's development has stabilized a little, but one person maintaining/testing three platforms (two of which are a free download) when the app is changing a lot isn't a good mix. A potential Android port would probably be at least a year away for the same reasons.

Major Lee

Hi Blip,
Should we understand that the latency in Android is no more a problem ?
Kind regards
Olivier, 7 year user of Nano and still happy

Blip Interactive

I haven't been following it closely. For the first few years of NanoStudio, latency was bad on Android despite various announcements that it had been improved. Then a couple of manufacturers managed to solve it, but they were proprietary solutions and I felt it wasn't worth the risk as they could disappear within one hardware generation. Since then things have got better, see the graph at the bottom of this page:

https://source.android.com/devices/audio/latency_measurements

... however, it's not very clear to me the actual proportion of devices out where which would be suitable. The absolute best round trip latency according to that graph is 18ms (on only the most modern devices). If we assume half is input and half is output, that gives a 'play' latency of around 9ms, which is pretty reasonable.

For a more in depth explanation, this is a good skim read:

http://superpowered.com/androidaudiopathlatency

... these guys seem to have engineered a low level audio driver which is lower latency than the standard Android audio drivers. It's something I'll probably check out at some point.

Major Lee

Thanks For this detailed Matt,
It was just a question out of curiosity, till there, i am on ios.
As far as hardware is concerned, I am on iphone 8 and ipad pro 10.5, but this latest item is used by the kids as I was quite a good marketing target. I should have bought an ipad mini 4 and it would have been a better compromise for size, weight (but as i draw a bit, I was curious to test the pencil too). So now i'am waiting for iphone version of Nano 2 while still using the original on an old iphone 5c. Considering the latest screencopies you have shown us, I am wondering if a 6 inchees or more display would be more comfortable. The smartphone is always in a pocket, ready to help me compose and Nanostudio is the absolute best piece of software I have ever owned. Beeing a one man software, it is incredibly inspiring,handsome, coherent and moreover, very optimized. On one side, i sometimes wonder if you made enough money to live on it for the last 8 years and how you could afford 3 years development on Nano 2, on the other side, if you did it , you probably could. On android, did you consider a version with month paying as there is much more software illegal copy ? Thanks again. Olivier

jwmmakerofmusic

“I may bring out macOS and Windows versions once the app's development has stabilized a little, but one person maintaining/testing three platforms (two of which are a free download) when the app is changing a lot isn't a good mix.”

On the side note here, I would make the Windows/Mac versions free ONLY for people who bought it on iOS first and can send you the receipt for proof. Otherwise, slap a price on it for non-iOS users who still wanna use it. :) My two cents.

tom_tm

"I would make the Windows/Mac versions free ONLY for people who bought it on iOS first and can send you the receipt for proof. Otherwise, slap a price on it for non-iOS users who still wanna use it."

If only. Devs have to pay the bills too!

Slam-Cut

It is not reasonable to put so much time into developing and maintaining software on other platforms unless those products are offered for sale. Free versions will just be a drain on the company and ultimately Users want the company to remain healthy so that NS2 can be supported indefinitly. I would wholeheartedly support Blip Interactive by purchasing a PC version of NS2, and feel a lot better about that purchase than I do about having bought Sonar.

jwmmakerofmusic

The point I was making was for Matt to not just give away the PC/Mac versions of NS2, that if people don’t have iOS, they need to pay the piper.

If all versions of NS2 are paid versions, that’s good too. I barely use the PC for anything anyways but would buy NS2 for that in a heartbeat.

Slam-Cut

I get you and totally agree that PC/Mac versions should not be for free. I feel that they should be charged for like any other software since it takes a lot of time to develop and maintain software for those platforms.

jwmmakerofmusic

Not only that, but with all the blood, sweat, and tears this man has put into NS2 (including the near breakdown in December last year) as well as the flack he suffered from morons (one of which I recently told off at a different forum), Matt deserves proper compensation! I for one would love to reward years of passionate hard labour and work. This is why I’m so pushy when it comes to Matt setting a proper price (rather than underselling himself) and pushy about him putting out a LOT of IAP content (including something akin to Miroslav orchestra, world instruments from all corners of the globe, excellent preset packs for Obsidian (I’d buy them even if I rarely use presets myself), and of course IAP audio tracks, premium native format plugins (such as a 10-band EQ with lots of filter shapes to choose from, convolution reverb, multiband plugins, etc), and etc).

Also, while I’m normally against subscriptions, I wouldn’t mind subscribing to a monthly tip jar subscription that is not required to unlock anything but is there just to show Matt how much we appreciate him on a monthly basis. Food for thought just the same.

Jeppan74

Plus: Even if you put the same price as on iOS, it will still be one of the cheapest PC/Mac DAW:s out there...

Ɔ¥þ3

NanoStudio is a heavyweight, matt is one of the early ios music app devs, his time and work deserves to be compensated for sure. no less than 20 dollars for the version without audio tracks. If people dont like that price they can stick with listening to the radio for free :)

Karmamole

Making NS1 available free on PC was very kind, and has proven very useful recently since NS1 became outdated on new versions of IOS. I was able to backup all my files to the PC, and can still use and render my tracks there - so I didn't feel that I'd lost anything in the transition. However, yes - with all the work put into NS2 - I think it wouldn't make sense to make it free on PC/Mac, but it would still be nice for people using it on IOS to be able to use it on their PC's or Macs...

So here's an idea - is it possible to include some kind of key generator in the IOS version of NS2 that would somehow create and activate a limited number of licenses (I doubt more than 2 would be necessary per user) and maybe tie that to the mobile device's IMEI?

That way, people who've purchased NS2 on IOS could use it for free on PC/Mac whereas those who haven't would have to pay something to use it on those platforms?

I don't even know if that's do-able. Just thinking out loud...

Slam-Cut

Karmamole: there are 2 problems with that model 1) a free PC/Mac version should not be expected because no other company does it. Buy the iOS Photoshop app and you will still have to pay for the PC/Mac versions of Photoshop. Companies don’t do it because 2) it takes a lot of time to develop and maintain the software on different platforms. Time = money in the business world. If we expected a free version for PC/Mac, the effort could bog down development/maintainance of NS2 on all platforms. I’d rather see all versions offered for sale so the the company Blip Interactive can stay profitable long into the future and keep this great DAW around for us to use (not to mention other apps that might come out: FX, synths, IAP presets, etc.). We have to be willing to support that.

I’m hoping that there will at least be a PayPal Donate button added to the website so that we could donate for ‘R & D’.