Boring screen shots

27 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

These aren't sexy, but they get jobs done.

The file browser has an optional preview pane which shows you details about the selected file. Here's an example of previewing a project before you open it. At the bottom, you can choose to load earlier versions of the project if they exist. You can add notes about the project and add your own custom image (from the camera or your photo library) or just let it auto-generate a unique image as in this example:

Just as in NS1, you can export projects, although the new terminology is to 'archive' a project. This zips up the project along with all the resources it needs, such as user samples (factory and IAP content isn't included as they should be always present in the app). It's a very quick process to archive a project and then export it to another device (eg. via AirDrop) without worrying about missing sample hell. When the destination device (also running NS2) receives an archive, it will automatically unzip it and then you can load it if you wish.

The file browser now has multiple selection which allows you to move, copy, delete and export files in bulk. When exporting multiple files (eg. via AirDrop, Dropbox or the iOS 11 files app) they will be automatically zipped up on export and unzipped on import. There's also now a trashbin which may be a lifesaver now and then:

The project now records far more history steps. You can undo/redo with a single tap, or do a long press to invoke the history popup:

Viewing the current instrument is slicker than NS1, which needed two taps (one on the left status bar button, and then a second to select the instrument from a dropdown menu). A single tap on the status bar's instrument area (to the left of centre) will take you to the current instrument. A tap on the left/right arrows in the same area gets you to the previous or next instrument. Alternatively you can swipe left or right on that area to quickly navigate to the available instruments. Finally, a long press on that area brings up an instrument selection dropdown similar to NS1:

Song settings (eg. fixed tempo, time sig, Ableton Link etc.) and record settings are accessed via a tap on the transport position area of the status bar:

... and finally, NanoSync is no more - but long live WebDAV:

WebDAV allows you to access all of NanoStudio's files via a standard macOS Finder or Windows Explorer window. You can copy/move/rename/delete and do as much damage as you wish.

jwmmakerofmusic

Will it allow export of stems which can be accessed via Files? (Just curious, in case I want to do further mixing and mastering in Auria.) :) Looks really sweet, and I love the project archive function.

Blip Interactive

I can't remember why but I didn't implement the mixdown of individual clips/parts as in NS1. You can export individual tracks though (in a single operation), so I think I decided it would be better to add marker events (if the output file format supports them) but decided to leave it for now.

Mixdown options are:

Type : Final mix, Individual tracks, top level tracks or soloed tracks
Region : Whole song or current loop marker section
Format: 16/24/32 bit wav, 64-320Kbps Ogg or M4A (lossy or lossless)
Sample rate: 22 - 96kHz
Normalize files: Off, Globally (so all tracks still have the same relative volume) or Individually (so each track is as loud as possible)

And some checkbox options:

- Render tails
- Trim start silence
- Trim end silence
- Zip all output files

... and then you can export via all the usual methods (Files app, DropBox, AirDrop, eMail, Open in ...)

jwmmakerofmusic

I’m so glad we’ll have 32-bit, 96kHz export. It’s the format I use to export unmastered mixes due to the processors working more naturally with that format. Then I pop them into Auria, flex my magic with the Fab Filters, and export at 16-bit 44.1kHz. :D

Blip Interactive

Yes, 16 bit 44.1k's fine for the final mix where you're basically going to be using most of the dynamic range, but working with 24 or 32 bits for the intermediate files means you don't have to give a toss about all that crap!

jwmmakerofmusic

Exactly! 32-bit for a far lower noise floor on an unmastered mix at around -10dB, and 96kHz to avoid aliasing during mastering. :D I appreciate you mate!

tom_tm

Nothing boring about any of that.

nano

direct path to matt's ipad leaked . lets go browse :D

Blip Interactive

Ha ha, but you'd have to get to my local network first - have you got the HAXXOR SKILLZ?

And that's not a challenge. I really know nothing about networks. IPv6 addresses look to me like C++ probably does to my parents.

syrupcore

You're safe to share so long as it has the fe80:: protocol. That's basically saying "only look on my local network for the following address". I wouldn't, however, invite nano round to the house and let him get on your wifi. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address#IPv6

Blip Interactive

"Unlike IPv4, IPv6 requires a link-local address on every network interface on which the IPv6 protocol is enabled, even when routable addresses are also assigned."

Gobbledygook.

syrupcore

^ Gobbledygook indeed.

I felt the same as you initially but really, for the most part anyway, it's just like 'regular' (IPv4) IP addresses. "169.254.123.255" uses three base-10 characters (up to 255 or 16bit) for each segment. IPv6 just uses base-16/hex for each segment but with up to 4 characters each (so up to 65536 possible numbers in base 10, 64bit). v4 segments are separated by dots, v6 by colons. V6 is actually 8 segments but in normal use most of us will only see 5 where the first segment replaces stuff like 'http::/' or 'ftp::' or whatever.

Slam-Cut

I like the description of Demo project 2: “Yet another demo tune of questionable musical merit”

Do we get to write notes on projects, or does NS2 automatically provide snarky comments about our musical skills. ‘Cuz if it’s the later, that’d be priceless! Sorta like a cheeky Siri belittling our crap epic opus. That would be so brilliant I can hardly stand it.

Slam-Cut

More serious question, re: missing sample hell. If I buy all the IAP presets (and I will!), and I share a work in progress with someone else (like Cib who won’t buy the IAP presets because he can create 30 new presets per hour) with whom I am collaborating and who does not have the IAP preset that’s on track 5, what then?

Blip Interactive

I had to think about this for a while since it always involves compromises but I decided that IAP samples should be treated like factory samples, in that they reside in a 'static' place and they are not added to project archives. Couple of reasons for this:

- It's generally an advantage to the the individual user. Otherwise, every single project archive that uses (eg) your favourite multi-sample string ensemble is bloated by MBs of sample data you've already got on your device in the IAP folder. Doing it this way means that archives which use IAP content stay lean and mean, saving on device storage space and making sharing via AirDrop etc. faster and and more reliable.

- It's an advantage to me. Otherwise, an enterprising individual with a bit of time on their hands can simply export the whole IAP bank to an archive and post it up for free as a user bank. Of course, this is going to happen anyway in one form or other but I don't want to make it too easy!

So the way I see it, if you choose to buy IAP content you get two things:

- A load of new sounds
- Streamlined sharing and archiving

Of course, you can still use an IAP patch as the basis of a new patch and and save the modified version to the user bank.

I suppose the same issues already exist in the desktop world. For example, if I send my friend a Cubase project using a £1000 worth of NI Komplete plugins, they're not going to get those plugins for nothing!

When audio tracks are introduced, I suppose one solution to this problem would be to freeze/convert those tracks to audio prior to sharing with a friend who you know doesn't have that content.

I mainly wanted to streamline it for users who work on their tablet at home, and then want to quickly get it onto their phone before they take it out for the day. Since those users will be using the same iTunes account, the IAP content will already be present on all their devices.

kitejan

Maybe with samples and IAP - surely of you to use the future "freeze" track function to freeze the track with the IAP sounds so it plays, but can't be edited if opened on a device without that IAP?

technokowski

Oh man, I want NS2 even more now. I've walked away for a bit, but these new screenshots got me all fuzzy on the inside. Adding album artwork to the project (at least that's what it appears to be) is a nice touch! Question is: how editable will that picture be? Will it sync from my photo library? I'll actually be able to use all those synthwave 'wallpapers' I always download. All those pictures I take of toilets will also come in handy.

nano

(c) haxx ' or skillz

Slam-Cut

Good points Mr Blip! I totally agree with space saving and preventing piracy - I hadn’t looked at it from those points of view. I was more thinking about how the system zips up all samples (except factory & IAP) and how that would affect collaborations, but I think that you are right about the way things work in the desktop DAW world. If you don’t have the content you can’t collaborate until you get the content. I like pushing IAPs! Excellent.

Cinebient

You got me at multi-sample string ensemble. What i always wanted in Eden, now coming to Obsidian.
Some trailer like impacts, hits, subs etc. are wanted to here since there isn´t anything earth shaking yet on iOS.
I guess NS2 will still be focused again more to the EDM/electronic side of things but i hope that won´t hold me back to go into other genres.

Slam-Cut

I have a feeling that you won’t be held back by genre. I share your thought on “there isn´t anything earth shaking yet on iOS” regarding hits & impacts. I was thinking it was just a matter of how I was using FX, that is not doing the right thing to get a huge sound, but if you’re having problems with this too, there may be something else going on (in addition to my limited technical knowledge of sound engineering).

Blip Interactive

> Question is: how editable will that picture be? Will it sync from my photo library?

You can take a picture or choose from your photo library and then do a basic zoom/crop. By default it generates a random 'identicon' for new projects (you can see this in the images above - it chops and rotates bits of the NanoStudio logo, but I don't know if anyone will notice that).

You can save a Default project in the templates folder with your favourite settings, which it will use as the normal template when you begin a new project. So you could set your default project up with your usual artist image/text, and then later change it to something specific if you make something worth keeping.

Slam-Cut

That sounds cool! So one could set up different templates for different albums? ... or genres? That would be an easy way to identify which songs belong to the Garth Brooks techno covers album that I am planning. I assume the project ‘notes’ written for that project have a character limit. 140 like Twitter?

Blip Interactive

No it's posh and supports scrolling if the text is too long. No emojis though.

nano

.. this is perfect , how harmonicdog daw can do that :

{iaa} record to audioshare
- monitor : {main out}
- record : only (!) selected track

good ;) ..

pixelblip

Thanks for the update Matt.

kitejan

Idea (possibly silly/inappropriate) but any chance of editing the resulting rendered files' ID tag from this page? You set the title, album, artist, etc - and if it could include the cover art emebed in the rendered file that would be perfect. Then the finished track can be uploaded "complete".

Linked to that: could we have a basic music player? A way of playing the completed music files properly without having to import back into itunes?

Sorry - wish lists before it's released......

Blip Interactive

> Idea (possibly silly/inappropriate) but any chance of editing the resulting rendered files' ID tag from this page? You set the title, album, artist, etc - and if it could include the cover art emebed in the rendered file that would be perfect. Then the finished track can be uploaded "complete".

Yes that would be cool. I'd have to change the note text so it has some proper 'fields' for these values. Not gonna happen for first release though.

>Linked to that: could we have a basic music player? A way of playing the completed music files properly without having to import back into itunes?

Yes, NS2's file viewer now supports full auditioning of lengthy wavs, oggs, mp3's, m4a's etc. and takes you to the list of of completed mixdowns, so you can play them back straight away.