Sample pad screen shots

8 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

TRG-16 is now called Slate. There are a lot of similarities, but you can now assign up to 3 sample layers to each pad (with velocity splits and/or crossfades) and there are a lot more signal processing options for each pad.

Here's a basic view:

An example of editing bus FX (there are 4 aux buses which feed into the final main bus):

Slate supports up to 32 pads, so there are zoom options to focus on the top or bottom 16. There's also a full screen mode and a mode which zooms on a single pad, which makes it much easier to perform with velocity. This image show the 16 pad zoom mode:

jwmmakerofmusic

It’s Battery Jr. :O Man am I stoked!

My question though is, with 3 sample layers, are you also able to utilise a round-robin effect in the pad? :)

Blip Interactive

I think round robin might still be too noticeable with only 3 samples. It will come with 5 full factory acoustic kits which use multi-samples. These multi-samples are actually a single sample file containing at least 4 randomly chosen hits at 3 different velocity levels (4 was the minimum I could seem to get away with in most cases without it sounding obviously repetitive). The multisample format is proprietary but it's basically a wav file with some special markers to define the regions and a metadata block in the header which describes to the app how they should be played. I'll probably release more of these as IAP in future as they really are a pain in the arse to get right and I think a lot of users would probably be happy to buy them in rather go through the hassle of recording them and trying to make them match up fairly seamlessly. Also it'd be nice for me to leave this desk and fiddle around in a studio for a day or two bashing things with bits of wood.

Another possible option would be to use the synth - it has 3 oscillators (which can be velocity split/faded), and each oscillator can be set to multisample mode which gives you 24 zones per oscillator. In theory you could then map the synth's random number generator mod source to the oscillator's 'sample zone shift' mod dest, so it chooses a different zone (and hence sample) on each note start, plus you'd get all the synthesis options (filters, envelopes, LFOs etc) to play with. This isn't an application for it I ever had in mind, but I suppose it could be done!

jwmmakerofmusic

That IS a great creative means to an end. :D Thanks for the tip, although as you said, I’ll be more than happy to buy up any IAPs to make my life easier so I can simply concentrate on making the music instead.

kitejan

(where is that "like" button.......) Looks brilliant!

alexbuga

THAT's what I'm talking about.
Looks very polished. You really took your time with it.
I remember me emailing you a long time ago offering to do a redesign of NS. It looked like an Alesis Micron :)

Now it really looks the part man! Looking forward to get my itchy fingers on those pads.

pianoyan

Wow. The track groups look superb. It all looks superb.

Slam-Cut

I’m speechless. I don’t know how Matt’s brain can hold all of this inside. I’m sure I would explode in a Python-esque sorta way.

Jeppan74

So many knobs to handle... WOW!