Synth screen shots

29 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

I'm sure you've seen some of these before. Eden is now called Obsidian:

Main performance page (customizable macro controls and dual/full screen keyboard options). For those scared of editing synth patches, you can pretty well use the synth just from this page:

Patch browser now uses a database model with tag attributes and text search:

Some of the main patch editing pages:

The synth has a 'modulation matrix' which is very similar to Eden (as in the image above), but you can also quickly map connections by tapping on the destination control you wish to modulate:

And I almost forgot the External MIDI instrument. Its UI mainly follows the same pattern as Obsidian, but events are instead sent to a MIDI output device and channel of your choice. You can save MIDI controller setups for your favourite hardware synths:

AUv3 instruments will be similarly depicted, but my current progress on this looks too shoddy for a screen shot right now ...

jwmmakerofmusic

Holy...ass! :O “Obsidian” is the right name alright, because this masterpiece is monumental! From what I can see, it’s on par with the likes of Synthmaster, Thor, z3ta+, Massive, Sytrus, Absynth, etc. Seriously a thing of beauty. :) My hat is off to you good sir.

Slam-Cut

Yes! This looks fantastic!

Cinebient

Now, that looks really nice here. If there is one app to get me outside and buy a new iPad it would be this here for sure.
But after all this great screen-shots....what about some more sound demos, especially some Obsidian presets? :)

Nu2moro

You can see why it’s taken so long! :-)

tom_tm

Matt (and on the subject of Scala/microtonal), when you get some free time, have a look at ScaleGen for iOS. ScaleGen can process normal 12-TET scales and then send them back as retuned microtonal scales. The only other apps I know of that do this are desktop-only and cost silly money. I'm hoping that the 'external MIDI' module I'll be able to do just that, and then reintroduce MIDI back to Obsidian, retuned for 19EDO or whatever (practically zillions of possible scales!) Polyphony though may be a pig. We'll see. I can also sample of course :)

One last thing.... I don't think I'll be needing that Elektron Digitakt now.

Blip Interactive

Tom, you're my microtonal conscience. How many years have you asked for this? The trouble with this is (and I suspect this is the reason there's not much else around) is that there always seems to be something more 'important' to do so it always gets pushed back (and yes, I do have it on a task list, and next to it I noted tom_tm).

Unfortunately it's definitely not going to be in the first release, but I'll keep it on that list. It's probably only a one day job, but I probably have about 50 one day jobs around that level and only a few of them will win before the iPhone version and audio tracks come knocking ...

Slam-Cut

In addition tom_tm, once you get microtunal functionality we won’t see you around the forum anymore. You’ll be lost in some sort of raga nirvana and we’ll all be left wondering what happened to you. :-)

tom_tm

Lost in the drones of Xen.

Cinebient

Add my name on the microtonal list twice please.
.tun file import for Obsidian would be the burner....
I miss microtuning really in most iOS synths.

Cinebient

Microtuning via midi indeed sucks and is not usable really.
The synth itself should always be tuned per key/frequency.
Otherwise with some obscure scales you get extreme unwanted pitch bends. And if you use midi via pitchbend to tune you might loose the pitchbend as performance etc.
Sunrizer can do it (strange only on iOS) and i think Synthmaster One will do as well.

Slam-Cut

Wasn’t Born Leader (featured in first photo) the name of an Eden preset? I’m pretty sure it was.
(Insert some sort of whinging about recycled names here)
Was this an attempt at the same sort of sound as the Eden preset? Maybe something to show off how much better Obsidian sounds than Eden?

Slam-Cut

The graphics look really nice. I like the design and color scheme. Most of the labels and symbols look familiar enough, but what is the row of colored rectangles (purple, red, green, orange) at the top center? Does that reflect the terrorist threat level on any given day, and how does the modulation matrix effect that?

tom_tm

Cinebent! Dude! Comrade!!

Rob Papen's new Go2 AU/VST imports Scala files, and is actually quite similar sounding to Eden. I may have to buy it seeing that it's only about £42.

But Sunrizer... Yes. Why? Why only iOS? I did write to Giku requesting microtonality on Sunrizer, so I'm extremely grateful to him for that. But yes, completely odd that it hasn't made the AU/VST plugin.

If NS2 is to implement it (it should!!) it does need to be done properly, with both the keyboard as well as the piano roll updating to fit the imported scale or tuning.

Cinebient

Not sure if i ever saw a microtune piano roll.
I don´t need that really but the instruments should be tunable for me.
GO2 sounds nice as well as the new Tal-Mod for the same price and also tunable.
But i´m so covered about synths on mac that i don´t think i will buy any new ones yet, even for 10 dollar not.
I also have a lot tunable synths there (sadly my favorite is not microtunable).
But a tunable Obsidian on iOS would sure fill a gap.
I even would like to pay for it as IAP if that help the Blip Interactive machine.
I´m ready to create some multi-sampled sound sets for it :)
Now add an autosampler to NanoStudio and we can talk....... :P
Oh and i also saw already a few old preset names like 7th Heaven. Does that mean it comes with all the legacy stuff.
One of my favorite presets is still the octave arp thingie (forgot the name). Great for importing samples.
So much fun with Eden presets to just load samples into it.
Obsidian must be fun X fun = awesome

tom_tm

"Not sure if i ever saw a microtune piano roll."

You have now!

http://sevish.com/2016/why-daw-developers-should-design-a-better-piano-r...

Cinebient

I still wonder how that would work with scales which has 40 notes per octave if you like.
Or when i use .tun files to tune my synths which can have different scales across different octaves etc.
I even find Logic indeed too limited about tuning and anyway prefer it to save as part of a preset in a synth, sampler or whatever.
One of the worst things that Apple removed that feature from Alchemy and i have to use V1.55 for it.
.tun files seems to works best for me since all the mapping seems always works as expected etc.
Otherwise .scl plus kbm works great too.
However, Obsidian with .tun file import (and let me save, recall them per preset) would be the dogs bollocks.
I think it´s a niche inside a niche, especially in electronic genres but i love to experiment with it and certain moods are just so much more interesting with microtuning. And having several instruments which play well together here would be awesome.

tom_tm

If NS2 supports AUv3 plugins (which I believe it does), then at least it'll be able to support Sunrizer as a plugin (which accepts Scala files). So hopefully and if we don't get microtonal support in NS2, at least we'll have Sunrizer.

Slam-Cut

Uhh... I don’t think Sunrizer is AUv3. Do you have any info from the BeepStreet? Maybe an update? It would sure be nice to have Sunrizer as an AUv3.

Cinebient

Doesn´t Sunrizer use .tun files as well (i only have an iPhone so i can´t tune Sunrizer anyway) and you have to import them via that crap called i-tunes. Also not sure if it is saves it inside the preset.
Sadly there is no synth yet on iOS which makes that easy. Maybe Synthmaster One will be the first?
But Beepstreet seems anyway to work on Sunrizer 2 as well as an awesome modular drum sequencer. So not sure if the old but great Sunrizer get any love.

tom_tm

Arghhh!!

Slam-Cut

Oh. Maybe BeepStreet is like Blip Interactive re-writing a completely new version of an app. I guess we can’t complain there. Sunrizer would be an Instabuy for me, esp. if it supports AUv3.

nano

.. my imagine of ns2

double row keyboard as ns1 {midi receiver}

direct recording to pad / keys {iaa & ns2 to ns2 channel recorder}

select region - loop style - autofades - trim region

hah ;)

Atticus

Beep street posts on the Audiobus forums. He’s doing Sunrizer 2, which will be Auv3 of course. No doubt it won’t sound as good as the original! I still find it stunning.

tom_tm

Wow Atticus! That's awesome news! Thanks for the update!

EDIT: However, I've just read that and although the announcement was made last September, development may have been dropped for now. But who knows. You can never tell whether or not this is just from another (disgruntled) developer. We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

dendy

unfortunately he is working on other projects so i don't think we will see sunrizer 2 auv3 anytime soon...

Atticus

Don’t say that Tom and Dendy! Aaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Here’s something that’ll sound really stoopid. I bought Sunrizer as a VST a while ago and you can guess what I’m going to say... somehow... it doesn’t sound as good!

Slam-Cut

Maybe after his ‘other projects’ we’ll get to see Sunrizer 2.
One can hope...

tom_tm

I mailed Giku (Beepstreet) a few weeks back, asking kindly to update Sunrizer. I'm sure he will because I also requested microtonality, and I know several others would have contacted him over that too- and consequently microtonality was added. Like Blip, he's a one-man band. These items of greatness will appear in the end, but it just takes time.

Slam-Cut

That’s encouraging. Thanks for the update tom_tm!