Is Nanostudio 2 still happening ?

133 replies [Last post]
alexbuga

IAP is very seamless with StoreKit these days. it actually takes longer to set up the products in iTunes Connect than to implement the store :)
If you do plan on implementing receipt validation, well you do need to spin up a server and put a plain PHP script that validates with Apple whatever receipt binary you feed it.

But since jailbreaking is not a thing anymore, you can bypass this step :)

Blip Interactive

That's good to hear. I heard from another developer friend who said his company had a right pain with implementing IAP. The extra server validation stuff (from the glance I took at it so far) did look a bit scary. My experience with networks and servers mainly involves uploading the odd file and viewing webpages!

Is jailbreaking not a thing now? I'm way out of touch with that too - I rooted my Android device so I could use it for general experimentation, but I've always kept my iOS devices legit as they're basically my 'professional' dev hardware.

tom_tm

Jailbreaking very much seems a thing of the past now yes, especially seeing iOS gives one no choice but to update to the latest version now, at any opportunity.

Annoying? Yes, but in reality when we are already paying next to zilch for every new app that comes along, jailbreaking as well as the possibility of a few nice cracks here and there on free downloads is too much of a turn-off for many a developer.

Then there is the corporate sector, who Apple want so badly, and also of course the banks. My iPhone 5 won't run any banking app at all, because the previous fuckwit owner went and jailbroke it, then didn't apply the original jailbreak to the phone before he/she sold it to CEX (that's 'KECKS', as in underpants, not 'SEX' as they'd prefer you read it at!)

alexbuga

Well they probably validated the receipt by unpacking / decrypting the binary receipt file. Which is a kick in the nuts.

Apple offers a JSON endpoint where you pass the receipt and a key and you get back a JSON response with the purchase info.
You can theoretically do it from the iOS device itself, but of course it's not secure. If someone is sniffing your HTTPS traffic... well.. you're busted:)

Anyways. It's probably a day of work at most.

Blip Interactive

> It's probably a day of work at most.

I erroneously think that about most tasks I start :)

Slam-Cut

I’m guilty of that too.

alexbuga

I'm speaking from my own experience.
Time may vary slightly :)

darwiniandude

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
- Douglas Adams

Stiksi

> Anyways. It's probably a day of work at most.

Getting up is a day's work at most. :D

If not, there's always tomorrow.

dendy

That reminds me famous motto of all procrastinators - Move all work you can do today to day after tomorow - and you get 2 free days !

tom_tm

"> It's probably a day of work at most.

>I erroneously think that about most tasks I start :)"

Until and by 3pm you're already on your 8th cup of coffee... And we all know what happens to spiders when spinning their webs after being injected with caffeine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKryf9BWDQg

darwiniandude

Dendy: Don't just talk about it, procrastinate now! :)

dendy

believe me, i'm very good in procrastination ...

giotti

Is jailbreaking not a thing now?

Jailbreaking is very much a thing, but it has become a much more tight-knit community. There hasn't been a public untethered jailbreak since iOS9 (that means, you need to actively run the exploit chain every time you reboot your iDevice) and the wait for a stable jailbreak for news iOS versions has been much longer than it used to. For info on what you can do with your jailbroken devices, go here: https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/wiki/escapeplan
Personally, I really love activator, my firewall and the ability to lock just certain apps and folders, instead of my whole phone (mostly because: kids). The ability to compile stuff right on your phone as well as running a VNC server on it and using your phone from your 'puter is very handy.

Also pirating is still a thing (and will be), but please Matt, neglect these people and don't invest time in countering them besides the most basic measures. People using warez either can't afford to pay you (yet) or won't pay you out of principle; they're definitely not your target group. It's better to view them as free marketing. :)

Bewar3them00n

Good to hear we are reaching the end. I’ve recently bought a Novation Circuit to keep me occupied until NS2, I had a moment of weakness on eBay when I saw the Bass Station 2, and started pining for my long dead BS1. Still getting to grips with it, but I like the physical tweaking of knobs. I like the fact you can download patches for it, there’s a few Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada patches around that I will get
I will more than likely use both in a “live” /jam set up once I finish my studio.......

Slam-Cut

"People using warez either can't afford to pay you (yet) or won't pay you out of principle; they're definitely not your target group. It's better to view them as free marketing. "

So they can afford an iPhone or iPad, but not apps that make it worth having those devices?
People who won't pay out of principle are called thieves. They are not pirates. Do they steal iPhone too? What ever happened to hustling up a few extra hours of work and saving up for something you want?

dendy

What Slam-Cut said !

tom_tm

+another on what Slam-Cut said.

Actually:

'It's better to view them as free marketing. :)'

No, better to view them as self-entitled cunts.

mashipx

tis true....
i spent many a year using pirate DAW warez because i just didnt earn enough to justify the cost. one of the first things i did when money became more available to spend on myself was to purchase a full legit copy of cubase pro as i always promised my self that. Although ive always used a legit copy of nano since day one as the cost is penuts compared to some ways of producing music.

DowncastVII

Hey! New to the forum but a long time user of Nanostudio since it came out. Getting an iPad next week to jam with it some more until 2 comes out!

Keep up the great work and glad to be here.

Slam-Cut

@DowncastVII: just in case you don’t know, Nanostudio won’t work in iOS11, so if your new iPad is on iOS 10, then you’re good. NS2 will work on iOS 11, no problem.

DowncastVII

@Slam-Cut: Thanks for the save! I would have upgraded as soon as I got it, only to weep afterwards

tom_tm

But NS2 will also work fine in iOS 10 as well. So you will have the best of both worlds.

pezzerdotcom

I have actually stopped making music since i accidentally installed iOS11.
I miss making music. I miss Nanostudio.
I have a lot of bang left in me. Jinx Padlock will ride again....

GodSpeed Matt! May the force be with you!

Pez

kitejan

@pezzerdotcom: I certainly hope so - I still play some of your "oldies" ("The Sky is Falling" still a personal favorite of mine :-) )

pezzerdotcom

Nano was the reason I started making music again, and I was fully addicted to it.
I've tried to get on with "The Others" but its just not my bag.
Nothing wrong with a break, waiting this out has been a little nerve-racking!
Thanks for the kind words kitejan :)

I don't haunt forums much, but wanted to just say I'm TOTALLY in when Matt drops it.

The iOS community needs a kick in the balls, and I have faith that the tools to do that are being lovingly crafted!

Pez

Slam-Cut

You’re right about that Mr. Jinx Padlock!

I wondered what was going on with you. I stopped by your SC page recently. I assumed life just got crazy, as it does. If you don’t have an iDevice on iOS 10.3, you may consider getting a cheap used one. You certainly have a large body of work - that would be nice to access with a functioning version of NS1. NS1 still does everything it ever did.

Good to see you drop by the forum. I have a feeling things will get quite busy when NS2 launches. I can’t wait.

giotti

People who won't pay out of principle are called thieves. They are not pirates. Do they steal iPhone too? What ever happened to hustling up a few extra hours of work and saving up for something you want?

They're not pirates, they're leechers; and it's not stealing, copyright infringement is at most subreption, but I digress...

Whatever you want to call them, Slam, the point is that this group of people is not worth the extra effort (be it in time or thousands of $ spent) that is necessary for the introduction of proper copy protection. This time is much better spent on adding value to the product (e.g. new features or polishing existing ones) that will result in more paying users.

Slam-Cut

@Giotti: yes, I understood the intent behind your point. I just think it is dangerous to just assume pirating is natural and therefore we shouldn’t care, and/or not speak out against it. Everytime it comes up, I will try to make a point against pirating because it does have an effect, sometime a huge effect in how the Chinese regularly pirate things, software & entertainment, intelectual property, commercial and military secrets, etc. Someome stealing an app isn’t on the same scale as Chinese hackers stealing 614 GB of military documents relating to submarine technology, but the principle is still wrong. Those that don’t think it is wrong to steal an app are likely not to think stealing military secrets is wrong. Hopefully the app stealers won’t be around or in the way when the inevietable war is unleashed.

Atticus

Slam, don’t let that happen before Nano 2 is released!