AUv3 for NS2

27 replies [Last post]
Slam-Cut

I’ve been trying to limit myself to getting only apps that support AUv3 so that they work with NS2. The challenge is that until NS2 launches, I don’t know what will be ‘needed’ or desired to compliment the features of NS2. Effects apps seem like a good idea, since I don’t have very many AUv3 effects apps, but which ones are better than others? I’m not using a DAW that supports AUv3, so that makes it hard to know from trial and error. I don’t want to just buy apps that won’t get used. Are there any stand-out AUv3 effects apps that I should consider? Kosmonaut recently launched. Anyone try that yet?

AUv3 effects apps I have:
Audio Effx
Audio Reverb
Dub Filter
EOS 2
FAC Chorus
GliderVerb
Remaster
RoughRider 2
Shaper

jwmmakerofmusic

-FAC Transient for some solid transient processing that you only thought you’d ever get on a PC. (Seriously, after adjusting volumes and EQs, transient processing is that one step that takes a good mix to GREAT!)

-FAC Maxima for a maximizer plug close to Pro-L.

-Given the fact I have no clue what kind of parametric EQ we’ll be getting in NS2, I’d also opt to get FuxEQ and zMors EQ. NS1 has a simple parametric EQ (similar to Gadget’s), and it excels at shaping sounds. FuxEQ and zMors EQ are for the “surgical” procedures should the need arise.

That’s all I can think of off the top of my head. :)

Slam-Cut

Those surgical EQ sound like they could be quite useful.
I’ve heard of FAC Transient, but I’m not sure what that actually does. I’ll look into it and the Maxima as well. Thanks for the tips.

Horngalore

Hi guys. I’m not sure how to start a new thread on here. I can’t seem to find the option for it.
Anyway people, for a laugh I’ve decided to put 2 of the tracks I’ve made on NS up on iTunes, spotify etc, via Landr. But I. Had a email saying this :-

It seems that you may have used samples sourced from a sample pack in your release with UPC code 800739398863.
LANDR cannot release unauthorized samples to monetized stores.
Can you clarify where these samples were sourced from?
Please reply with a link to the terms and conditions of use for the sample pack as well!
If you have purchased it -- please attach proof of payment with your reply.
We want to make sure you have the rights necessary to distribute this track.
LANDR does not want you running into any issues

How can this be. I thought NS was all royalty free?! How do I get around this. Hellllllp x

Slam-Cut

Very interesting. First time I have heard of this. For one, you don’t need to use Landr. Secondly did you use any 3rd party samples? NS originally had some freebie sample packs from Loop Masters made available, but I think those samples were only a special promo, not part of NS original sounds. Not sure where Matt got the drum samples from that came with the original factory presets and trg banks... Nonetheless, Landr shouldn’t be blocking your tracks, in my opinion. If you can’t get around that warning, ditch Landr.

kitejan

Yes that is worrying - and I've never heard of anything like this. At lot depends on if you used some third party samples - either from a sample pack, or sampled from "elsewhere". Would be a bit worrying if you only used bog-standard NS1 samples and loops.

Blip Interactive

@Horngalore - There should not be any problems with using the samples supplied with NanoStudio.

I would be helpful if they actually told which samples appear to be the issue. Can you get this information from them?

tom_tm

That's shocking. Truly shocking behaviour. As a rule, I never use other's samples- unless I'm sampling from something that was never a 'sample' in the first place. But to hear a company licensing stuff in this manner, I think calls for a boycott of the company involved.

Slam-Cut

If you guys aren’t aware, LANDR is an automated mastering service. They aren’t really in a position to determine who should be using samples and who should not. If it was a YouTube issue, then I might be concerned. I think Horngalore might be better off mastering his own tracks if it’s just going to be a couple of MP3s put up on Soundcloud or Bandcamp. And if looking for a more Pro quality, then definitly go to Discmakers/CD Baby. Here’s an article that compares the mastering services of their own SoundLAB vs LANDR:

www.discmakers.com/SoundLAB/LANDR

I agree with Matt. It would be interesting to find out which samples were of concern to LANDR.

syrupcore

@slam-cut Unless you have a need for a particular AU effect right now, I'd just hold out until we see what Matt includes with the app.

jwmmakerofmusic

@Horngalore

F*ck Landr. You can buy Grand Finale and use that. If you need an AU workflow in AUM, go FAC Transient, 6144, FuxEQ, and Maxima. If you’re pretty knowledgeable and have deep pockets, Auria with Fabfilter plugins (at least Pro-L and Pro-Q if not Pro-C and Pro-MB too) will get you what you need. If you need someone else to handle the mastering, what does Landr charge, like $9.99/uncompressed track, and CD Baby starting at $45/track?

Yeah, you could use CD Baby, suffer with Landr, do the mastering yourself, or you can buy me some Starbucks with something like $8.99/uncompressed track through Paypal and I can master your stuff quite easily and to your expectations, do extra adjustments to your tastes in case the first pass wasn’t spot on, and give each track (or entire EP/album) a nice natural flow and all that. No robotic automated mastering, and no questions about sound sources asked. Cheers mate.

Slam-Cut

@syrupecore: sound advice, but that doesn’t help my AAS, which replaces my GAS. These apps look so bright and shiny!

I have tracks that need help, but I don’t bother until NS2 comes out. All my tracks will need to be tranferred to NS2 files anyway, so I’ve just been gathering a few apps that look cool. Since I don’t know much about the technical aspects like a sound engineer would, I don’t know if I am missing critical apps. I get things like reverb, delay, flanger, basic EQ, etc., but not the surgical EQ and Mixing-Mastering process. Some of my tracks seems a bit to harsh on the high end for example, and I don’t have anything like the desktop tools to visually trim specific trouble spots. I’ve done the best I can with NS1’s built-in FX, but when I reach a certain limit I just set it aside and go back to composing a new track, adding to my backlog of unfinished.

@jwmmakerofmusic: Nice plug! Nice rate too.
But on a more serious note, a lot of people (myself included) come from a more music composition background and not a sound engineer background. The technical aspects of mixing and mastering are daunting, so I can see why some people prefer to hand that off to other people. I’m hoping that NS2 will not only provide great built-in FX and allow for AU versions of whatever else might be needed, but also provide an overall environment to make the process easier. I’m not sure what that means, but I don’t like the idea of 3rd party mastering services changing the sound of my tracks, even if the result is better than what I can achieve, because then the live version will always sound crappier than the CD/MP3 version. If you offered mastering services in the NS2 environment, so that ‘mastered’ ‘.nsp’ files were returned so one could also use them for live performance... now that would be cool.

jwmmakerofmusic

@Slam-Cut

Now me, I have a background in piano performance (both Classical training AND Jazz training), composition, production (mixing and mastering), and recently singing (although I’m no Pop Idol, lol). Being able to offer a client their .nsp file back with the right settings would be a very unique mastering service, one I should have no problem performing.

HOWEVER, above I was just simply spouting off that Landr is a shite service is all. I usually ramble on when on one of those late-night rants.

Anyways, now that it’s morning and I’m actually thinking, I think the best solution would be to grab Grand Finale. It’s a VERY novice-friendly app that’s near impossible to make sound bad. If you overcompress your mix, it’ll be a more pleasing “Justice ‘Cross’” aesthetic rather than an “oversquashed rubbish” aesthetic. However, it’s got LUFS metering to boot, and if you keep it around -12dB or so, your mixes will always sound pleasing to the ear, Loudness Wars be damned. Ever since Klevgrand released Grand Finale in the appstore, I’ve used it for “quick mastering” of demos I bounce.

Slam-Cut

You lucky bastard.
Oh, wait... You’re not Brian.
I’m envious of the production background. There’s some useful skills! And you can play/compose too! Nice. Yeah, I got ya on the LANDR bits in your previous post. NS1 created a great environment for composing & creating synth presets. I hope NS2 will continue that and make a big leap in the ease of mixing/mastering, although I think that is not the main purpose of NS2. We’ll see.

Thanks for the tip on Grande Finale. It looks like I could get some use out of it. I wish it was AUv3, but maybe it will be upgraded to that at some point.

jwmmakerofmusic

@Slam-Cut

How dare you call me a bastard. ;) Wah wah wah, muh oversensitive thin-skinned feels! Drama drama drama, lolol. (Nah seriously, I tried to take the wiz out of this one chap over by AB forums, and by god did he go nuclear crybaby on me. x’D )

Why yes, I am a lucky bastard after all, but mostly it’s blood, sweat, and some well-earned tears. The parts that came easy were piano and composing. What was actual hard work was mastering mastering and mastering mixing too. Are you following along so far? Good.

Someday the chaps by Klevgrand will make Grand Finale AU compatible, even if it does use up a lot of resources. Hell, they should just make it IAA/AB compatible with state saving. It’d be very simple to slap it on the Master buss and make everything sound good.

Slam-Cut

I suffer from a form of Turrets Syndrome that makes me quote ‘The Life of Brian’, but fortunately it only flares up when I post online comments. How well people receive ‘taking the piss’ (or even wiz) probably depends upon which side of the pond one is on and how uptight the individual is. Life is too short to get upset over online comments, but I am really glad that the NS forum is small enough to not attract too many trolls. Probably because our bridges exist only in our songs, or maybe the subject matter is just too boring for the masses.

Playing and composition do not come easy for me as I didn’t grow up playing music. I went from almost nothing to a music major in college - I left a lot of blood sweat and tears there, then forgot most of it after a 12-year hiatus prior to discovering iOS music. Never got proper mixing & mastering skills.

IAA & AB are things I won’t use much since NS2 won’t support them. I want an AUv3 mixing/mastering solution so when I decide to gig live I can just play a NS2 project (that has the lead muted) and it will sound pretty much the same as a mastered CD version of the same music. It disturbs me just how bad live music can sound compared to the studio-polished versions, and I know it would bug me a lot with my own music. Maybe that’s why many musican’s do drugs? So that they don’t care if their music sounds like crap? Weathly musician’s can just hire a sound guy - I can’t.

jwmmakerofmusic

The insane part is, the guy I was taking the piss out of is UK born and raised and lives there! I thought he could take a joke. Indeed, life is too short to worry about dumb online comments, and that’s why I like joshing about. You’d be surprised to learn I’m an “ignorant yankee” and not a proper Englishman. x’D LOL. English mates will do that to a guy though. ;)

Strange enough, the 3-4 year composer’s block I recently overcame actually fermented other abilities like fine wine such as the mixing, sound selection, mastering, etc. Now I’m back in action...

https://soundcloud.com/jwmmakerofmusic/jwm-sansarilla-0314181604-demo-sn...

That one’s entirely in Korg Gadget with mastering in Auria Pro. (I’d have preferred to use NS2, importing some loops made in Gadget, and Obsidian for everything else.) In case you wonder, I used two tracks for mastering in Auria Pro. The first track is where the unmastered demo mix is, but no effects. The second track has the effects. I went Saturn>Pro-Q>Pro-L. Then I automated the first track’s fader.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9e34o7631sw2en/Photo%20Mar%2014%2C%207%2026%2...

Right, 96kHz on the project, because despite our not being able to hear above 22kHz, the plugins function more naturally at 96kHz for some reason. Also, that automation you see is why the demo sounds active despite being super maximised to “commercial” levels.

LOL! I think musicians do drugs, because the more advanced and knowledgeable a musician becomes, the more that advanced knowledge strengthens the inner critic that hampers the musician’s ability to let go and just make some f-ing music. (Mine always warns me if/when something may be too cheesy/cliche, even if it isn’t cheesy/cliche.) I’ve never done drugs (unless you count caffeine and taurine), but I’ve heard they can expand the mind and silence the inner critic. In my case, I’ve simply learned how to tell my inner critic to toss off until it’s time for the refining stage.

Slam-Cut

No, I suspected you were from this side of the pond, but pretty well knew it when you wrote “take the wiz”. ‘Wiz’ is much more American slang then British. Not all Brits like that sort of thing, and a posh uptight wanker will want to be taken seriously and not be made fun of. Then again, I’ve known hard Cockney lads that are more willing to fight that laugh at themselves. Just because ‘taking the piss’ is British slang doesn’t mean all Brits are down with that. Same goes for Septics, if they even still say that anymore. Quite a lot of Americans these days seem to have lost their sense of humor, which is one of many reasons why this country is so divided, but lets not go down that rabbit hole. This forum is enjoyable because we ignore that sort of crap. (Except for me not ignoring it right then.)

I’m writing this at 1 AM, so I’ll have to check out the links later. The rest of that pragraph was over my head, but it sounds interesting. Your last paragraph was spot on! Nicely said. I’ve known people who were way more knowledgeable than me that just couldn’t overcome that classical training that makes one think that everything we try to create is just rubbish when compared to the greats, and therefore why bother. My 12-year hiatus made me forget most of the ‘rules’ and I made a conscious decision to not get caught up in complex BS, nor worry about how to properly resolve 7th chords or care that I can’t hear a chord and know right off the bat that it is a diminished dominant 7th chord sus 2 +1 special healing powers. I paint with sounds to enjoy being creative, often just using root notes instead of whole chords, and I don’t care that concert pianist will scoff at my compositions. My blissful ignorance prevents me from needing drugs, so that should be one point on the positive column.

jwmmakerofmusic

“Quite a lot of Americans these days seem to have lost their sense of humor, which is one of many reasons why this country is so divided, but lets not go down that rabbit hole. This forum is enjoyable because we ignore that sort of crap.”

Exactly. Only good folks with their heads screwed on straight here. ;)

Very interesting what you said about British culture. I thought most folks over in the UK were pisstakers, because my mates on Facebook I’ve known for over 15 years are pisstaking types, and by god do we get really vile at time. x’D What I sometimes do on the AB forums is NOTHING compared to my mates and I.

When making melodies becomes too complicated, the best thing to do to stay sane and creative is to make “noise music”. Don’t listen to Stockhausen. MAKE Stockhausen. Raid freesounds.org and slap some shit together in Auria, Cubasis, Multitrack DAW, or something else. It’s what I’ve learned to do. Making noise music with the purpose of making it sound as horrible and lousy as possible also frees up the mind from the inner critic. ;)

Slam-Cut

Maybe one of the forum Brits will jump in here and set us straight on our assumptions, but I find it humorous that Brits say “taking the piss” and Americans say “giving you shit”. The British slang seems less messy....

The noise music you describe is probably a good limitation project, but I know I’d hate it. The things that drives me on is chasing the sounds and beats that float my boat, typically melody being prominent. Mostly that means I stick to a handful of genres, and one of my problems is usually having too much melody. Sometimes I try ambient tracks, but it is so hard for me to do ‘pure’ ambient and I will eventually succumb to the desire to have melody in the track somewhere. What I really need to get in my mixes is more cow bell!

tom_tm

[Don't]'Take the Mick' is another. Or another, 'Pull a fast one'. All very English, dear chap. ;-)

gr1m

Would "giving someone stick" equate with "taking the piss out of"?

Sorry, I learn all my English english from watching the EPL (BPL) on the weekends.

nano

hm , hm , hm , hm , hm , WTF ?

i am telling you ..
blip set nanostudio permissions " only for me " (only for him)
and escaped to mexico (acapulco)

TwistedGenetics

Yes gr1m they could both be the same but in English language but stick could also mean given someone a hard time.

Example: I gave him some stick because he was taking the piss out of my brother
Translated: I had a go at him ( gave him a hard time) because he was bullying my brother.

‘Taking the piss’ can be either jokey or serious depending on how it’s said in context.
So the above sentence in a jokey way:

I took the piss out of him back as he was taking the piss out of my brother.

But stick tends to lean towards having a go at someone like “my wife always gives me stick for coming home late”

The nearest example in both in US language is ‘busting their balls’

Ie stop busting the kids balls (taking the piss). My wife busts my balls when I come home late (gives me stick)

Another use of taking the piss is as follows:
The guy owes me money and he’s out Buying new things and not paying me back. Seriously is he taking the piss?
Translated: he owes me money, hasn’t paid me back but spending loads of money, I feel stupid for lending especially if other people know I have lent him money and also know I haven’t been paid back. I look stupid ( being taken the piss out of)

I would hate to have to learn English as a second language as all our words have several meanings depending on how they’re said in context. And one action can be described with so many words or sentences. Just the act of getting drunk, or being drunk has so many words or sentences to describe it.

Slam-Cut

Right?! You can get pissed while taking the piss! Gotta confuse the hell out of someone from someplace like Thailand, who just has a phrase book and a dictionary. I wonder what some of it sounds like when translated to another language. In the US (not sure about UK) ‘holy shit’ is a common expression, but that has to lose something in the translation to another language. “Sacred poop”? What are they talking about? Hell, I get confused in the store buying ‘Canadian Bacon.’ What do Canadians call that? And do Canadians call our long strips of bacon ‘American Bacon’? The English language need a reboot to v2.0.

Thanks for schooling us TwistedGenetics!

TwistedGenetics

Yeah....

Here’s an example of using the word piss ( original meaning is to urinate)

We were out on the piss (getting drunk), my mate was well pissed (drunk) when some guy started taking the piss (winding him up). This pissed my mate off (made him angry) so hit hit the guy so hard he pissed himself (actually wet his pants). We all pissed ourselves laughing at the guy ( term so say something is so funny it makes you pee). The guy was so embarrassed his pissed off quick ( ran off )

The only worldwide word I know that has so many meanings for one word depending on its context is ‘Fuck’

Cinebient

Fuck....i get pissed if NS2 doesn´t come out soon :D
It seems people here are too bored and i have now amazing 3 weeks of holiday and might get bored too. ;)

TwistedGenetics

Nice use of the words there cinebient :)