Windows download virus?

5 replies [Last post]
dog_bitch

I've been using nanostudio on Windows for several years and love it but started getting a weird issue where every time I saved a project it said it failed to do so. My antivirus eventually started saying that the readme.txt had a virus in it and whenever I tried to redownload it from the website it says it's infected. I tried downloading an older version from a different website but the save issue still happens so I guess that's probably a problem with my computer rather than nanostudio. I just wanna continue working on my music without the saves failing :^(

Slam-Cut

It sounds like you are using NS on Windows PC only, not on an iPhone or iPad, right? I can’t help you with the PC virus, but I would recommend that you look at getting a used older model iPhone or iPad. These can be gotten really cheap these days. Look for something that has iOS 10, not iOS 11. Then you will have multiple platforms and devices on which to save your music.

dendy

which antivirus do you use ? If build in Defender in Win8/10, that's a dogshit ... it gives many many false reports... try use something more reliable (Kaspersky or Eset)

dog_bitch

The download seems to work now but I still have an issue where every time I try to save anything it give me a messages that says "failed to save song file" https://imgur.com/a/7jDg3

Blip Interactive

It normally gives this when it can't even open the file to start saving. Reasons could be:

- File open in something else (or something else failed to close it)
- Some sort of read-only flag on the file
- Some sort of restricted file permission tediousness
- Maybe a realtime virus checker preventing access (I've never had reports of this but you could try temporarily turning it off to see if it's the cause).

Have you tried 'Save as' with a different filename?

On Windows, NanoStudio saves all of its user data to C:\ProgramData\NanoStudio\Documents. The app's quite old and this is probably against Microsoft's 'best practices' these days, but I've had no problems with this on Windows 10 (or older). I'm just using Defender, but the usual Windows login I use is an Administrator one - is this the same for you?

It might be worth navigating there using Explorer to see what files are there and if you can rename/delete/undo them successfully via Explorer. Sometimes C:\ProgramData is a hidden folder. In Explorer you can do View Tab -> Options button -> View tab (in the popup which appears) and then enable 'Show hidden files, folders and drives'.

Finally you could tell your computer it's being very naughty, which won't help but at least it'll gain you some moral high ground.

Slam-Cut

:-DDD

Didn’t know ‘moral high ground’ was so useful in trouble-shooting. I’ll remember to try that.