OT - If you’re impatient to try something new... (Beatmaker 3 now free temporarily)

25 replies [Last post]
jwmmakerofmusic

...Beatmaker 3 is available for free, but only during NAMM (i.e. only this weekend). Give it a shot, maybe buy an IAP pack or two as a thank-you to the developer. This should distract you lot long enough to take the pressure off of Matt here so he can pump out a stellar product. Cheers.

Atticus

I came to the forum to post just this! Always dithered about buying it as it’s not my preferred sequencing style so it’s nice to try it out. And I did buy two IAP packs to stop the guilt! I have to say - the sound quality is excellent.

Nice update for GarageBand too today.

I’d put BeatMaker 3 in the thread title...

jwmmakerofmusic

Got the title fixed. :) At first, I thought my bud Mathieu (Intua) was going a wee bit insane, or that he considered switching to the dreaded “subscription-with-no-extra-services/no evolving-content-library” payment model, but he told me it’s simply a risky publicity move.

It’s cool to have someone on the same wavelength. Cheers mate.

Atticus

It’s very cool that you know the man himself. I read an interview a couple of days ago about the development of BeatMaker through the years and I wouldn’t have been able to resist buying for much longer. He’s so enthusiastic.

My heart goes out to app developers. If you ever want to despair read reviews of free apps in the App Store - the absolute venom of the entitled who don’t like the apps. “You have wasted my time”!!! If the app costs 99p the world has fallen in. All those thousands of hours of work unappreciated and unpaid.

I did think Beatmaker must be going the subscription route when I saw it was free - I see Auxy is trying it with soundpacks - and like you I’m still unsure if it’s a good idea to give it away. Just sticking it at 9.99 for a few days would have been amazing. Still, it’s a great publicity stunt. Cubasis, GarageBand and Beatmaker are such monsters now, let alone Gadget and Caustic etc. Nanostudio 2 has really got its work cut out.

jwmmakerofmusic

Well, I do think a subscription for unlimited access to content in BM3 wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if offered as a pricing option alongside single prices for packs. It’s when an app developer thinks it’s okay to block saving/exporting a file LOCALLY on the iDevice that my frustration rises.

$4.99/month for Auxy’s subscription is not a bad deal actually. Auxy looks far better than I remembered even. Even comes with a 7-day free trial. Let’s see if me and Auxy can get along again. :P

dendy

> @jwmmakerofmusic
> Give it a shot, maybe buy an IAP pack or two as a thank-you to the developer. This should distract you lot long enough to take the pressure off of Matt here so he can pump out a stellar product.

I bought it .. then returned it.. then bought it again to give it second chance .. but for me BM3 is pure catastrophe :-) Everythime i run it with clear intention to do something meaningfull with it, i end after 20 minuts in total frustration, pissed off like hell by BM3 unintuitive messy UI/UX and weird "pad-centric-akai-mpc-alike" structure .. for me most chaotic daw available on iOS, i regret every cent and every minute i spend with it (i did lot tunes with BM2, which is still better option than BM3 for classic daw approach, BM3 is simply strange something which is intua after initial controversy reaction trying - unsucessfully - bend back to classic daw approach) ..

result - from my point of view - it is not worth even free, wasting of time :-))))) BM3 is for me far away biggest disappointment i experienced with any app i ever bought.

On other side - after going through hell with BM3 terrible UX, after NS2 will be released it will be for sure like walking in heaven to work with it :-D :-D At the end - as you said, it's free now /btw. nice kick to face of paying customers from intua, in my opinion/

Slam-Cut

I also feel empathy to the plight of developers. I don’t care for the pad-oriented MPC style or working either, so it will likely not be my cup of tea, but I know that there are probably lots of music ‘producers’ that have the opposite view. I had a similar level of frustration with Garageband, but I did just give it a second chance in the spirit of trying something new before NS2 launches.

Previously I saw the pad-style page but couldn’t see a tracks view and I recently discovered that (at least on the iPhone) one has to record something first before being able to see tracks view. That may not be 100% true, but that how it seemed for me. The multiple button presses to get to things is frustrating, especially changing a synth preset on iPhone (edit: I later found that it was much easier on the iPad). That is maddening! However I have managed to get a track fairly well along and might actually be able to finish it in GB. It’s sorta like a masochistic limitation exercise - hated those in college. However, I then saw the post on Discchord of Dan Baker’s GB cover of ‘Video Killed the Radio Star’. WOW!! Impressive. All iOS musicians should find that on YouTube. It is inspiring and a really good cover as well.
So where there is a will (and talent!) there is a way. Seriously, check out that video.

Stiksi

I like pads and work almost entirely without keys – I use an Ableton Push and a launchpad most of the time but I can't understand the samplepack-heavy approach of Beatmaker. I also don't like the interface that much but I'll give it a go anyway. Thanks for the tip, have to applaud the gutsy publicity move! However – free or not – if it's really bad, I do reserve the right to rant.

kitejan

I'm trying to resist the temptation in getting it - even free. I'm *supposed* to be getting my head around Ableton Live since I actually paid for the damn thing a couple of years back and done absolutely nothing with it since (apart from some doodles) so the last thing I need is something else to distract me :-)

Slam-Cut

I can feel your pain kitejan, but I’m out of pocket much less as I went with the much cheaper Reaper. (No, I didn’t plan that rhyme and no, I won’t start a ‘career’ as a rapper) I rarely spend much time with my laptop, but I do think for around $60 (can’t remember) it is a pretty good DAW. Letting it gather dust doesn’t hurt the wallet so much.

kitejan

Yes I did have a look at Reaper (I think I even did some editing of some tracks on it just to see), but various people told me that I would do well with Ableton. So I took advantage of a special offer and actually went for the full suite. To say I find it daunting is an understatement, but the recently acquired Push controller actually helps a lot. Tonight (as it happens) I'm going to try and finish a couple of tracks - just adding some extra "iOS magic" here and there (mainly Animoog). We shall see....

syrupcore

Grabbed it yesterday. Still haven't opened it but looking forward to see what people are on about (in all the various directions).

tom_tm

Beatmaker?! I'd rather eat my stools than grapple with that abomination!

Jim Hanks

What syrupcore said - grabbed it but not even opened.

technokowski

I downloaded Beatmaker 3... I have no idea what that thing is trying to be, but it's giving me a headache. If anything, it's a perfect example of how iOS can be nauseating as a DAW. I've only had success with NS1, and there's a reason why; it's simple. BM3, and many other DAWs for iOS try to do too many things. I bet that's why Matt is holding off on the audio track integration.

Stiksi

I played around with it for 10 minutes and, uh, there’s a learning curve. I still haven’t figured out how to record notes. If I press record and play, nothing gets recorded. According to the manual I’ve done everything right. Surely it can’t be this buggy? I must have missed something. It looks nice but definitely not newbie-friendly.

Slam-Cut

Check out the video by Shazamm the iPad Producer re: Geoshred Jordan Rudess Performance NAMM 2018. Hot Damn! So that’s how we’re supposed to use that app. Makes much more sense now and yes I want to use Geoshred with NS2. It isn’t AUv3 so I guess it will just be a MIDI controller, and as such should work with NS1. Which reminds me, is NS2 going to jump on to the MPE bandwagon...?

https://youtu.be/jpd6aOUYiOI

dendy

beware of Jordan Rudess performances ! That guy is genius, he can play literally on shit the way that it will sound great and you will want buy that shit :)))) Not saying that Geoshred is bad, just - Rudess is Rudess .. never buy anything just because of JR performance :-)))

Slam-Cut

Fair warning, but I already have GeoShred. When I tried it in the past I was much more conservative in how I tried to play it. His performance is inspiring. Worth watching the video.

nano

there was a ghost (or something abnormal) in the kitchen (3:12 am)
and broke display on my ipad .. hm

dendy

maybe you should just take less psychedelics ...

nano

double up

Slam-Cut

Dispote the reason, the loss of an iPad is sad.

nano

works well , but some (xxxxxx) on screen ;)

dendy

i have broken glass on both my devices (iphone snd ipad) quite a lot and they still works:)

nano

hm , irepservice.sk , ipad air = 85 € ..

unblock (break the security code) = 15 € ... ? :D .. ? .. ;) .. ?