WHEN??

45 replies [Last post]
sm7x7

December. January. Almost February. When? Sorry for the tone, but we all accept the current app's condition, Blip. Totally. Thanks for uploading the NC2 to the AppStore today. Or maybe tomorrow?

:)

Love you, Bro. And the app, too.

tom_tm

TBH, I don't really care if I must wait another six months. Even a year, 'cos there's plenty of stuff on iOS already to keep me going this amount of time and a lot more. AND what happens when it does eventually arrive? Will NS2 just be another face among the zillions of apps we already have? I know this to be true, as I've purchased plenty of apps with the greatest of intentions, only never to open them again.

jwmmakerofmusic

Whenever it happens, of course. ;)

Slam-Cut

“I've purchased plenty of apps with the greatest of intentions, only never to open them again.”
- tom_tm

We all have, brother. We all have. And the shame of it is we continue to do it...
I think the workflow with NS2 will make it a lot easier to use those neglected apps, so if I need to wait a bit longer, I will. I did get myself a $100 iTunes card so that I have plenty of credit to be able to get the app right away.

Atticus

$100, you’re not messing about! I like your style.

We should have a thread with predictions of Nanostudio’s launch price and audio track IAP price. I suppose you’re expecting at least 49.99 - like Cubasis.

Slam-Cut

Thanks! I had $40 iTunes credit already, but I was fearful that wouldn’t be enough so I got the extra $100. I think NS2 should be $49.99, at least. It’s worth more to me, but maybe not to other people who have a lot of iOS apps already. I guess this is that thread! I predict $49.99/£36/€40 for NS2, and half that for IAP of audio tracks + AB support. (OK, I know the AB thing is unlikely...)

tom_tm

Bloody hell. $49??! I don't think I'll be buying it THAT quickly at THAT price! I do tend to buy apps on iOS because I know how crippling it can be to put an app into the AppStore, then expect to make any kind of living from it. And this is my point about price. We may think that $49 is worth it. But this is iOS. Not Mac or Windows. iOS is and always has been the underdog- a bit like the awful Intel Atom range (except ARM is a lot better, at least now). So we have Steinberg selling Cubasis for £49, but then Steinberg have been at this game for years. I had an app in the AppStore too, I'd written it with a mate Andrew who worked for Avid at the time, developing Pro Tools et al. But we priced the ap at 69p, and although it sold not that great, I was always guaranteed a £40 bonus in my bank account every month, which at least paid for my iPhone 3G. If Blip sells NS2 at the same price that he sold NS1 for, he'll do well, because I think there will be many like me who'll by the app, even if it just sits there. $49 will put those chancers off.

Slam-Cut

I don’t disagree that a lower price will put off people who probably feel like they have enough iOS apps. I just feel that NS2 “SHOULD” be $49.99. I spent that much on my first version of Cakewalk’s Home Studio, couldn’t quite get that working before the WIN OS changed on a new computer, so I then bought Cakewalk’s Sonar Pro (or whatever it was called) for $350. That was frustratingly complex and I never got a single track completed. I’ve easily completed 50+ tracks with NS1, so to me NS2 is worth at least $49.99. The math is pretty easy for me.

As to what apps are worth in general, I think the days of super rediculously cheap apps should come to an end. Yes there will always be room for the .99 cent apps that are ‘throw aways’ - things people will mostly use a few times then forget about. Anyone remember the iPhone cup of beer app? But for more serious apps, like pro-quality DAW that are true desktop replacements, I think $50 should be the new standard. It’s only fair that we make it worth while for devs to put in years of work on apps if we want quality DAW apps and hope that this platform will mature in the future. Otherwise we may risk devs abandoning the platform and their apps. Devs, like Matt, have to ask themselves do they continue to struggle in the low-cost app market or get a job that has regular paychecks and benefits. What will he do 5, 10, 20 years from now? For all I know if NS2 isn’t profitable enough he may end up getting a job this summer and shelving Blip Interactive. Maybe he’ll go work for Boston Dynamics on SpotMini. What will we be discussing on the forum if that happens? Maybe “Aww, I wish I could pay $50 to get a new version of NS”...?

I think GOOD synth apps should be in the $10+ range. I’d pay that to get an AUv3 update on Nave. Other quirky not so commonly used apps might shoot for a cheaper price to try to get those who would be on the fence about a quirky app. Yeah I recently picked up KQ Dixie for cheap even though I’m not particulaly in to FM synths, and I got FM Player for free before that. I haven’t used either of them yet, and to me that is the difference. I have lots of apps I never use, but I put in way more hours using NS than all other apps combined including the ‘phone’ app. Without NS my iPhone would have a thick layer of dust on it and I wouldn’t have an iPad. Next to the cost of the hardware, $200 for NS2 would not only still make sense but I would think about the $150 I saved off the Sonar equivilant. Cakewalk recently went belly up - who would have guessed that? Despite all of this rambling, I will not be surprised if Matt charges a lot less than $49.99, but I do wish he would at least put a flippin’ PayPal donate button on his website. What’s a guy gotta do to help out?

I get it that most people have real life financial issues. I lost my job and now only have my side job. I make in a month what most people do in a week and I have to drive 2 hours each way to get to and from that job. After gas I’m not left with much money to squander on hobbies, but I do it anyway. There are a lot of hobbies that are far more expensive, so I’m glad I’m not an off-roading scuba sky-diver that dabbles in drag racing, or whatever.

Long rant over. For now.
#2 most used app is Chrome so I can procrastinate on making music by spending time here on the forum.

Bewar3them00n

I don’t really use any other music making apps with the same regularity as Nanostudio, Audiobus struggled on my old iPad, so I’m eagerly awaiting NS2, and all its new features, it until then it’s NS1 on my old iPad,
As for the price, if I remember wasn’t NS1 about £20 when you factored in the extra instrument tracks?
I’d expect something similar or at least a special offer price launch.

Slam-Cut

That’s a good point about a launch price. 25% off the first week? But since NS2 will be a significant improvement, going from a sketch pad to DAW replacement, I think the base price for NS2 should be more than the original price for NS1.

jwmmakerofmusic

I think the base price for NS2 should be higher as well, somewhere around $30-$50. As far as the launch price goes, the original version was near $20 after the expansion IAP, so maybe NS2’s launch price could be $19.99 for the first week. Maybe not. Or, maybe NS2 could be bundled with NS1 so that those of us who bought NS1 can buy NS2 at a discount. Or not. :P All depends.

tom_tm

Well, it's all academic anyway, because the person who ultimately decides what the app will go for will be decided by Matt, and none of us (he's already indicated that he's a stalwart Marxist, no capitalism allowed etc...). If the think he's charging too much, then don't buy a copy, and if he's charging too little, well, the concrete boots in Avonmouth estuary is probably the easiest way to go. It's near his gaff, and they'll never find the body.... ;-)

dendy

Korg iPolysix costs 32€ ... and that's just single synth ! There is lot synths in appstore in price range 15-20€ ...NS2 will contain at least same powerfull (or more) synth, plus drum sampler, plus advanced sequencer, plus plus plus... Matt is working on it 4+ years...

I really think that any price bellow 30€ will be ridiculously low...

Slam-Cut

What dendy said.

The reason why it doesn’t matter what price we are guessing is not because Herr Blipster makes the decision. It’s because we will buy it no matter what the price is (within reason of course). We are merely amusing ourselves with idle chatter in anticipation of the launch of a great app.

dendy

this discussion isn't completely worthless.. maybe it will help matt,at least little bit, with pricing decision.. so, i think every opinion is good...

Bewar3them00n

All tech and software improves over time, as NS2 will massively update the now aging NS1,so personally, I expect it to be in a similar ball park to the NS1 pricing.
What made NS1 so good was that it was priced attractively to draw in users who wouldn’t normally splash out on a huge amount on an iOS studio app, I count myself as one of those people, there’s no way I would’ve splashed out £50 on an app, no matter how good.

Slam-Cut

That is a good point. NS1 was created at a time when apps were intended for ‘personal’ use and NS1 was concieved, as I recall, as a ‘scratch pad’ and that tracks would be transferred to a Desktop to complete thr project. The question is, what is NS2 concieved as? I’m guessing that with all the feature requests over the years and in consideration of the development of th iOS platform more toward ‘pro’ level music production, that NS2 will be much more a pro app with a more pro price.

I suspect that there may be some people who lean more toward the ‘non-pro’ apps, and are going to have a problem swallowing the new ‘pro’ price of NS2. I, however, feel that a ‘pro’ price is justified, given the huge effort gone in to making a completely new app. I hope there will be a Introductory price at launch that people can take advantage of, but I will not be surpised that the discussion of the price will continue on the forum until long after the launch. As we get on with using the app, I thnk most people will consider NS2 well worth the price and the discussion of the price to dwindle.

syrupcore

Maybe important to recall that when NS1 was launched, $15-$20 was expensive for any app. Like Dendy said, in the current world of $10 being the standard price for a good single synth app and ~$20 not being abnormal (and Korg synths generally be $30), I reckon a similar price differential would make sense.

Cubasis and Auria Pro are $50. BM3 was $40 (free ATM, $20 launch price). Gadget is $40. Gadget and Auria basically require tons of IAPs to really reach their potential. They all seem pretty successful to me. Why would/should Matt charge $20?

Either way, I don't envy him having to make this decision.

Slam-Cut

What syrupcore said.

Those price comparisons make a valid point. We should not be surprise that prices get more expensive as the software gets more advanced. This happened on desktop as well.

dendy

Actually - i really WISH higher overall prices on iOS .. because higher prices == more atractive segment for big players == more interesting apps :-)

jwmmakerofmusic

== less people potentially switching to a bullsh*t subscription pricing model.

(By this, I’m not referring to good apps who switch to the subscription model to help consistently expand their content libraries in the cloud (Auxy) nor apps that include at least 1TB of their own cloud storage in the price (Adobe’s products). By bullsh*t, I mean apps that charge a subscription just to locally store your projects (Clip Studio Paint) and to use multiple instances (Goose EQ) without any aforementioned added renewable services nor any real added benefits.)

Cinebient

Price? Hard to say. None of the iOS DAW‘s are dvdn close to Logic 10.4 or most of the other famous desktop DAW‘s. Of course Logic is a bargain and out of competition for the price.
I think €49 would be a fair price for NS2.
This free BM3 promo thing is a disaster for me and shows that it doesn‘t got the sales for the „normal“ price.
I see no big future in iOS music apps really.....

Slam-Cut

HA! You’re always so optimistic!

Cinebient

Lol, yes....3-4 hours sleep per day are not enough these days :)
My motto is: prepare for the worst and then you only can be suprised in a positiv way.
But really. I want NS2 (but only on iPhone) and waiting for it too since a goid while.
But also in the meantime i got sick of iOS and touch screens in general.
A modern notebook is the best thing in my case.
So maybe NS2 is my last iOS app :D

jbw

The developer already stated: The app will be released once there has been ten new threads inquiring about the release date.

Blip Interactive

NS1 was about £15 when it came out as I recall.

Very interested to hear peoples' thoughts on prices, right now I feel a little out of touch. I think the mobile software space has matured to a point where some (but not all!) iOS apps have become like console games - so complex to produce that they're no longer cheap.

As mentioned, there are some single synth apps around for >£30 - but anything more than this is a price barrier not many want to break.

The decision to push back audio tracks has given me the option of reducing the price of the base app somewhat and then presenting audio tracks when they arrive as IAP. I quite like this idea since it gives users a lower entry point on price, with the option to expand as and when based upon their needs and financial situation.

Maybe I'll roll a die and multiply the number I get by 5?

Slam-Cut

I’ll be pissed it I can pay at leat $40 for NS2.
I don’t know what the majority of iOS musician’s will think, but syrupcore posted an interesting price comparison of the major iOS DAWs.

technokowski

> Very interested to hear peoples' thoughts on prices,

This is a tough one to answer... I am willing to pay whatever, but realize there are some who actually care about that (tsk, tsk)

But, if I had to guess, the way it's bundled now, no less than $30 US, but $40 sounds about right.

But, I do think that you could strip certain features (like audio tracks, 16 tracks like you did in NS1, limit the TRG samples amount, maybe even hold back some effects, etc...) and lower it even more to attract the more hesitant folk. Then, make everything IAP. You know we will all get that stuff; it's those that haven't really used NS1 that you need to attract.

Tbh, when I first got NS1 way back in 2010, the $15 (or was it $20?) sounded steep at the time, but I went for the gamble. Had it been $40, I may have passed (but I was a starving student back then, so $ was a big deal). After about an hour with it, I bought the 16 tracks IAP because I was blown away (and yes, I immediately bemoaned the lack of audio tracks, and would've paid handsomely for them, but I digress..).

I always appreciate when developers somehow make a (severely) limited cheap or free version of something so people can get an idea of what it's about, especially since there are so many apps (I like what Korg gadget did, even though I don't like it :p). You seem to be down with that to an extent, so cheers!

For me the true workhorse of the app is the most impressive (the piano roll, the ease of importing and using samples on the TRG, nano sync, and just the ease of banging out an idea), and feel that people should be exposed to that. Oh, and iOS 11 has been out for awhile now, and since NS1 doesn't work, there's a lot of people who are being exposed to NS for the first time.

Those are just my thoughts...

Styrbjorn

“I always appreciate when developers somehow make a (severely) limited cheap or free version of something so people can get an idea of what it's about, especially since there are so many apps“

I really liked Blip’s version of this - the free PC version. Perhaps one day we’ll see a PC version that we can buy...? I’d love that. For NS2 I’ll pay whatever the asking price is

Karmamole

I think $19.95 or so is the best price point, with more options available (when ready) as IAP.

I'm not saying NS2 isn't worth more than that, but I think it really depends on who you're hoping to reach. I think pricing it above $20 means that only musicians or serious hobbyists will buy it, whereas pricing it under (or around) $20 encourages everybody to give it a go and grow into it. The beautiful thing about NS1 for me was how quick and simple it was to get things moving, the app wasn't intimidating at all, and I think NS2 also has the potential to bring a lot of people on board who might not be willing to 'try something out' if it's priced in the Cubase / Auria range.

Anyway, just my thoughts :)

Slam-Cut

Initial release is iPad only so that should be more than $20. $40 initial iPad release, then a super special price when universal version in released, say $30, and adjust prices accordingly. You can always lower the price and offer temporary sales. Starting off with a low price implies that it usn’t worth much, and that is not wise for the long term life of Blip Interactive or iOS music app devs in general.

I think we should really be willing to pay what’s fair and what will help Blip support NS2 long into the future, even if we have to save a little extra and wait a little longer before we buy NS2. Let’s not be short-sighted when it comes to the price. How much have we spent on apps we don’t use since NS1. I got NS1 app in Aug 2010. I know I’ve spent hundreds of dollars on apps since then and don’t use the majority of them. NS2 will make it easier for me to use most of those apps, so yeah, I still say the app would be a good deal at $200.