Finally!

56 replies [Last post]
tom_tm

Hi nano-friends! Happy new year!

I think I'm just going to use Bandcamp or YouTube in future... Or maybe not? Waiting months if not years is a bit like waiting for a good wine to mature. Or watching paint dry.. whatever your perspective is... I'm in fact relieved about the delay waiting for NS2. For a moment I thought that NS2 was actually going to come out before my much anticipated LP was going to show. But apparently it was released today. Hooray! So to celebrate, here's an nsp file for your listening pleasure! (I'll post a link to the record as soon as I get it from Static Caravan)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aij0fj4szy3ebc2/Farfisabahn%2016%20BlipMIX.nsp...

syrupcore

Congrats on the release, Mr. Tom! "Farfisabahn" is a winning title, for sure. Gotta load up the forum on the iPad 3 to check them out though.

tom_tm

Coolio Mr Syrup!

Jeppan74

Please don´t put a headline with "Finally!" right now sir... It made a glimmer of hope inside of me :)
And please post the link to the album. Looking forward to it!!

tom_tm

Haha! Sorry about that! I know that most people here have already spent a considerable time having their hearts monitored by EEG's!

Cinebient

I just monitor my heart via MSEG´s :)
....and it´s not analog enough.

technokowski

Yeah, that's a pretty cruel thing to do. lol. I saw 'Finally' and pooped my pants. Literally figurative.
I've never been this eager for an app before, and that was definitely click bait for me.

jwmmakerofmusic

Yeah mate, I’m afraid we’ll have to rename you as “Clickbait Tom”. ;)

tom_tm

Well it wasn't meant as clickbait, so sincere apologies again. It was just a reference to how long it's taken me to release anything (1st LP took years. 2nd LP took even longer!). I was really hoping that I wouldn't be beaten by Blip, as that would have been really embarrassing! But probably more so is that Matt's already heard it anyway, about one and a half years ago. So embarrassed anyway! lololol! :-/

jwmmakerofmusic

No worries mate. ;) We’re just taking the piss on ya is all, jokin around and all that.

Anyways, my first album (when I made utter crap that is) was made in a week or two in MTV Music Generator (the PC version). As I grew older and grew in my craft, I became more and more a perfectionist. Weened myself on FL Studio because the old lego blocks system they had was similar to MTV Music Generator. As FL Studio became more sophisticated, so did I.

Anyways, I know that pain of taking forever to finish something all too well. Been about 3-4 years since I ever cobbled together an EP or album, just making single tracks here and there.

Anyways, I finally have some time to listen to your EP. Should prove to be interesting. ;)

Edit: Can you reup it for me please?

tom_tm

It's an LP, not an EP. I started writing it on an iPhone, then when I realised that this NS thing was pretty wild, I upgraded to a first generation iPad. Then I hit the software/hardware limitations of that and purchased an iPad 4, and carried on. Finalisation was all in Logic- so I did cheat in the end. But almost all sound creation was 100% Nanostudio.

The dropbox link may be dead now, as I needed to move files in order to make room for a huge file. Is that what you're referring to?

Stiksi

Now this is good news, congrats on the release!

jwmmakerofmusic

Yes sir. Needed room for a big file though? I’d upgrade to $9.99/month storage if I was you. ;) 1tb of cloud storage!

dendy

at www.pcloud.com you can have lifetime 2TB space for one time 250€ payment .. thats pretty good offer, for this price you get just 1TB and just for 2 years on dropbox...

Cinebient

Not trust these life time updates......Cakewalk anyone.....

Slam-Cut

I don’t trust any cloud storage for anything but temporary useage.
I like hardware, which is the least expensive route over time, and I really dislike monthy bills of any type. I keep those to the absolute minimum.
Why rent storage when thumb drives, SD cards, disk drives, etc are so cheap?
And does no one use CDs/DVDs anymore?

Cinebient

But as we know now you can´t trust anything with a CPU not older than 20 years :)
Where is my Commodore C64?

dendy

> Why rent storage when thumb drives, SD cards, disk drives, etc are so cheap?

it’s not that cheap.. for serious backup ypu need two or better 3 copies.. until you have not a lot free time to manually copy all stuff which you want back up 3x, you need some NAS with at last 2 drives in RAID connection..

no chance to buy serious NAS and two 2TB harddrives under 250€ .. most probably it will be somewhere around 500€

Future is in cloud.. actually it’s cheapest way how to have rock solid and safe backup of data... I know what i’m talking about, i lost my data already twice last 10 years because of harddrive failure ..

nano

i lost data (all) because of fucked cops .. ;)
@
today is (all) under " pcloud " security @ hm ..

Slam-Cut

OK. Asked and answered. Some people do have reason to use the cloud rather than hardware.

I don’t need RAID (I’m not a professional) or the cloud to save .nsp, .wav, & .jpg files along with the occassional Word file. I probably have a smaller amount of files than you gents, so easier for me to manage with hardware. If renting space on a cloud service makes one feel more secure, that is reason enough, and saving time is hard to argue with.

I agree with having 3 copies of files, which I keep on hard drives. For me it is easy enough to move the files from my PC to other hardware, but then again, I’m just an amateur musician. If I were a pro graphic artist/videographer/film maker or something like that, then it might be very different. I thought we were all on the same hobbyist musician level on this forum.

dendy

RAID is not for proffestionals.. RAID simply means you have 2 harddrives, you save file just once and it is saved automaticaly to both harddrives .. so even if one dies,you have still your backup on second drive .. after i lost 10 years of photos , music projects, work project (including all wedding photos - that hurted almost more than those lost music projects :)) just because of single !BACKUP! harddrive died, i started to be paranoid and now i very strictly use for backup 2 haddrives in RAID connection - and even in this setup i still think "should i buy better NAS with 4 haddrives ? :-))

that's why i'm now seriously considering this pcloud.com offer .. just still fighting little bit with fact that my files will be stored on some servers at other part of globe :)))

syrupcore

I do both. Cloud for recent, hard drives for older stuff, large stuff like multi-track recording projects and the occasional hard backup for more recent things. I have two copies of the important stuff (photos!), one at home, one at work.

I'm not nearly as diligent about the whole thing as I used to be. I have 'cloud' files littered everywhere. Need to get back on it!

Slam-Cut

RAID 0 configurations were initially used a lot by semi-pro to pro videographers. They needed to get around limitations of hard drive speeds and get reliable video wothout any data loss. You’re talkng about RAID 1, which is reduntant drives copying the exact same file in two places. That is more secure than just 1 hard drive obviously. Sure, you don’t have to be a pro to use either of those, but to me either of those seems more of a pro-level than the average person who just has the one hard drive on a laptop. I like to manually back up to 3 other hard drives because I want to be sure it is actually done. I want to see it with my own eyes. I worked at a company that had a Raid system fail and both hard drives were suddenly dead. We didn’t know until it was too late because the back up was automatic. I manually backed up the files for my department, so I didn’t suffer the huge headache & costs the acounting department faced. So maybe I am actually more paranoid than you! :)

I agree with your concerns about having files on someone else’s server. If that company suddenly folds, is purchased by another company, or is hacked... could be scary. Sorry to hear about the 10 years of files you lost. Devastating. I understand your paranoia, but I just don’t like more monthly bills (which is the normal cloud storage format). A one time fee sounds like less headache, if it really works out.

Slam-Cut

Syrupcore makes a good point about files ‘littered’ everywhere. A reliable and consistently used system for backing up is a good work habit to have. I’ve evolved a file steucture that works for me (so I don’t accidentally overwrite something), but everyone needs to find a method that they easily understand that avoids future confusion, and is easy to follow through with. If more people did that rather than trusting that Apple would take care of their files, then we wouldn’t have as many people coming to the forum in frustration after the iOS 11 update. :-/

nano

slam-cut @ .. but I just don’t like more monthly bills (which is the normal cloud storage format)

" time capsule storage "
us-account.teambition.com (international server)
unlimited / max file size 200mb / free

" storage / collaborate / share / music player / swiss knife "
pcloud.com (one-lifetime-payment) 99 years / 2T ;)

nano

what do you think about ..

musicoin.org ;)

Slam-Cut

I'll check out those cloud storage sites, but so far I am fine with the free version of Dropbox.

Musicoin.org is interesting. Hadn't heard of that before. It sounds good 'on paper', so long as the contract ensures the artist owns copyrights 100%. It will be a difficult business model for them to pull off I think. No ads means a big source of revenue for the company is excluded. Perhaps they will add ads in the future, once they have a big audience. Crypto currencies - in general I don't trust them. People have gotten rich with Bitcoin, so it can work, but it seems like stocks. You have to sell at the right time and of course you risk loosing all of it. A bit of a gamble. Musicoin is worth looking into, as these days it seems musicians must try everything just to have a chance.

For now it looks like this isn't open to all musicians. They have some requirements:
"For now, Musicoin only accepts qualified musicians who can provide a proof of their musical history through their previous participations in social media channels. Linking more than one social media accounts to your profile will give our support team a clear picture of your work, and give you a better chance of getting verified."

Musicians need to sign up via social sign-in (Twitter, Facebook, Google). I don't use any of those and certainly have no history of being a musician on those platforms. Is SoundCloud enough to fill their requirements? I don't know and they have no way of asking. I don't like that they don't have any contact information. That makes me suspicious.

dendy

i’m really deep into cryptocurrencies last year and half.. Technology, trends, trading, mining, everything :-)

i’m pretty sure it’s the future even through it is still in premature stage.. it’s improving day by day.. blockchain is technology comparable to internet in early 90’s .. definitely crucial tehcnology for next years

but i’m very skeptic to each ICO coin (like this musicoin -it’s not independent coin it’s basically just smart contract build on Ethereum coin) - there are tons of such ICO’s and i’m sure most of them will sooner or later die, lot of them are just SCAM .. I do not suggest invest any money into them (with few exceptions where is reliable big company behind that ICO)..

nano

no experience with musicoin , but I know because of friend :
https://twitter.com/miguelalcobiadj/status/949676408409911296
all i know ..
you will need twitter to tweet a song
&
they will verify you manually (soundcloud ...)

nano
syrupcore

Stuff like Teambition and Pcloud are the sorta thing that makes me nervous about 'the cloud'. Why would I trust photos of my kid to a company I've never heard of? Apple is known to just kill stuff so it's hard to buy into iCloud (though the price is right). Dropbox and Google are big enough that I find it a little easier to trust that if they decide to stop the service, I'll know in advance.

Amazon seems to have a good deal going for prime members. 1TB $60/yr + unlimited photo storage (photos don't count against your 1TB). Alas, most iOS apps only support Dropbox so not so good for samples and projects but perhaps perfect for everything else.