NanoStudio and IOS 11

14 replies [Last post]
JB Aikens

I’ve been using Nano studio for years and have many compositions near complete on my iPad Pro.
After my iOS updated, I can no longer use or access my 100s of hours of work.
There was no warning about the ios11 compatibility issue.
It was research that led me here...
NS2 is great, but I need access to my music. The holiday was coming and I was going to gift some of my music to friends and family. I am locked out without warning

HELP please

Slam-Cut

Apple gave plenty of warning. Every handful of times I open NS, I get the warning that NS needs to be updated and will not work on iOS 11. Unless you haven’t opened NS in the past year, how did you miss that warning? I wish you had come to the forum right away and read the warning not to upgrade to iOS 11.

Some people have been able to revert back to iOS 10. I’m not sure how or if it is still possible, but give that a try. If you backed-up your iPhone/iPad before updating to iOS 11, the NS files should still be on your computer. Get a pre-iOS 11 iDevice and restore it from your last back-up. Then save the files to your computer, as well as to a few other hard drives, thumb drives, or SD cards.

technokowski

Yeah, just want to chime in here. They gave plenty of warning, especially if you used it often. I remember the last few months before iOS11 were annoying; every dang time I opened NS1 I'd get that pop up. Maybe you put it down for a while and didn't get that message, or didn't update often enough to get it.

Like Slam said, get an older device restore from a pre iOS11 backup and you should be fine. That's what I did; I actually have 3 iPad 1s running my backups atm.

I'm glad Blip didn't upgrade NS1 for 64bit; can you imagine how much longer we'd have to wait for NS2? Heavenly Father!

JB Aikens

Firstly thank you for replying.

I have multiple legitimate reasons for all of the defenses presented.
I could explain each and why, but that will not change my dilemma.

I am not buying another iOS device, I just can’t.
Files are backed up, yes. But I can not access them and complete my work
So that doesn’t change my dilemma either

Simple solution: Update NStusio to work with iOS 11

JB Aikens

No warning given.

Perhaps because I always run airplane mode unless I need to network.
My IPad Pro is strictly for Audio recording and network function eats up cpu.

Whatever, I guess I’m screwed
One person isn’t enough of a reason to do anything about it

Will NS2 read NS1 files?
And when is the up to date release date?

Slam-Cut

I realize that you are new to the forum JB, and I hope you will realize that there is nothing personal against you, but there have been a steady stream of people coming to this forum with the same dilema, not reading the threads about this issue, and asking the same question over and over again. Nanostudio cannot be updated to work on iOS 11. Period. It’s not going to happen. Nanostdio was built a long time ago, when all apps were 32 bit. Apple decided that 32 bit apps would not be supported from iOS 11 onwards. iOS 11 requires 64 bit apps. Nanostudio was very successful, but the desired wishlist from the user base could not be added to Nanostudio without a complete re-build, thus the need to create Nanostudio 2, which is a 64 bit app. After a handful of years NS2 is close to being released and it will be a great app I am sure. Also old NS1 .nsp files or Eden presets will not work in NS2. Now you are caught up.

I’m really sorry to hear that you did not get the word that NS will not work on iOS 11. There is nothing that can be done about that. If you saved your work as .nsp files on a computer, then you can use the free PC/Mac version of NS to continue working on your projects. If you only saved them on to the iDevice that is now running iOS 11, you may be SOL. You haven’t been clear about your situation, so it is hard to advise. I have kept my old iPhones and an iPad on iOS 10 to preserve my ability to use NS1. I think that anyone who is serious about NS1 should do the same or get a used older iPhone for cheap. eBay has iPhone 5 starting around $50 and iPhone 6+ starting around $100. Compared to the costs of producing music on a PC or Mac, not to mention complete hardware studios, I think the used iPhone route is a steal.

kitejan

I can only feel your pain, but I don't think I can offer anything that hasn't already been said. To be honest I never even thought about the situation where the device is always in airplane mode.

But was there a reason why you didn't/couldn't use nanosync to transfer the finished projects off the device to a PC? If only to save space. I know you can email the projects, but I always had issues if it was more than a few Mb in size. Sorry doesn't help I know :-(

Slam-Cut

I’ve assumed that JB ‘can’t access files’ because he didn’t save projects to a PC. There are people who try to go the iOS only route and swear off PCs. I hope JB isn’t in that situation, but it sounds like the case. It is super dangerous to keep all the .nsp files on only one iDevice. Same goes for keeping files on only one computer. Files should always be in at least 3 different places.

Nonetheless it is a sad thing to hear about so much work being lost. Does anyone know if it is still possible to revert back to iOS 10? Would jailbreaking the iDevice free the files? I would try both of those.

Slam-Cut

I’ve assumed that JB ‘can’t access files’ because he didn’t save projects to a PC. There are people who try to go the iOS only route and swear off PCs. I hope JB isn’t in that situation, but it sounds like the case. It is super dangerous to keep all the .nsp files on only one iDevice. Same goes for keeping files on only one computer. Files should always be in at least 3 different places.

Nonetheless it is a sad thing to hear about so much work being lost. Does anyone know if it is still possible to revert back to iOS 10? Would jailbreaking the iDevice free the files? I would try both of those.

syrupcore

It's a total bummer. If you have any sort of access to your project files, remember that you can still run NS1 on Mac/Windows desktop.

instinctive

Did you try using "CopyTrans Apps" or "iFunbox" (both are available for Windows and macOS) to access NS1's Documents folder? This should allow you to copy the projects to your PC or Mac, where you then should be able to continue using them using the PC/Mac version of NanoStudio.

Slam-Cut

Has anyone tried to use iFunbox to access .nsp files on a iDevice running iOS 11? It’s worth a try, but I would assume that NS doesn’t exist on any iOS 11 iDevice. I hate to reccomend this until someone can report back that this actually works. Anyone...?

Bewar3them00n

Not been on here for years, but recently picked up NS again and started to have some fun.
Just bought a new iPad and without thinking updated To ios11! Whoops!! Thankfully I have my old iPad 2 with NS to play with.
By the way, I didn’t get any warning upon opening NS about not updating to ios11.
Anyway, looking forward to NS2 and reacquainting myself with making music

Slam-Cut

The warning doesn’t come up all the time on 32 bit apps. From recollection it’s about every dozen or so times I open it that the pop-up displays a warning. Look for it on your Air2 in the near future. I also get pop-ups on Alchemy. You’d think Apple wouldn’t display a warning that is also a notice that the dev needs to update the app, when they own the app and are the reason that the app isn’t updated. Yeah, Apple, how about following your instructions and updating Alchemy as a stand-alone app!

tom_tm

Yep. No warning with an iPaddy 4 either. I guess because these are still stuck in the stone age? iPad 4 though I reckon is the best one to get if you still want NS1 and POWER. Otherwise it's crackles and pops if not changing the latency. No change needed on iPad 4.