Updated to iOS 11 without knowing the consequences - HELP !

20 replies [Last post]
Stepjamm

Hello all,

I've been a dedicated NS user for roughly 5-6 years now. I've made so much music through this software and now i cannot access my app because i've upgraded.

I didn't know that NS 2 was coming out either which is a pleasant surprise, however I need to recover my workfiles from this phone as a lot of blood, sweat and tears has gone into making synths and composing songs in this app!

does anyone know a way to recover the files on iPhone and also, will NS files be compatible with NS2? I feel like i've lost a part of me with this update and I'm very concerned my songs are gone forever!

Jim Hanks

Look back through recent history in the forum. You might be able to "downgrade" back to iOS 10. I honestly don't know if you can get NS files back from iOS 11. NS files will not be compatible with NS2. Finally, if you can recover the files, you can use the desktop version with them.

Slam-Cut

Ideally you backed up all of your .nsp files to a computer, but I am guessing not. Try reverting iOS back to 10. If that dorsn't work, try using an app like iFunBox to access the files on your iPhone and move them to a computer. Hopefully they were saved as .nsp files and not just as .prj files. Please post again to let us know how your efforts go so we can pass on your experience to others in the same boat.

Stepjamm

Thanks for the responses, I'll try reverting my iOS to see if this works and will post results when I have them.
(You were right to assume I haven't backed my files up as I use cubase at home and NS for travelling)

kitejan

I have a work iPhone that I need to upgrade to iOS 11 - so I can do a bit of a test with NS and a couple of test projects to see if anything is possible post-iOS11. However I have to be honest and say that I'm really not hopeful with this. But I shall try and let you know how it goes.

kitejan

I've tried it - and I cant find anyway to access the NanoStudio files once upgraded to iOS 11. Obviously NS doesn't load on the device, which means I cant use Nanosync. Neither can I use the iTunes sharing (either in iTunes or via iFunBox to access the file system). I did wonder if the new iOS 11 files app could do anything, but nope.

So unless someone knows of some clever method I've not thought of, I'm afraid there isn't a way of getting the projects post iOS11. I wonder if Jailbreaking would work (assuming a) that there is a jailbreak for iOS11 and b) the act of doing so doesn't reset the file storage) - but its not something I've tried.

Sorry - I know this sucks :-(

nano

.. ifunbox cannot open some app folders (ns)

https://alternativeto.net/software/i-funbox

but i cant remember , it was aggressive opener ..

Slam-Cut

I just knew this was going to be a big subject on the forum. Hmm.
I wonder if iFunbox or any other app/program can access the files from the most recent iPhone back-up on a computer? Perhaps an old iPhone (5, 6 or 7) that isn't on iOS 11 could be acquired and be reset to factory 'new' state, then set up that iPhone from the most recent iTunes back up (prior to iOS 11 update).
Just spit ballin' here.

kitejan

I didn't take an itunes backup prior to the test upgrade (never used them really) so can't test that. I was under the impression that the backup doesn't contain everything - just the apps not necessarily the apps data. But very much worth trying.

As for iFunBox (or similar) - I believe they all work in the same way by accessing the apps "share with itunes" storage. What they can't do is access an Apps private storage - that is what jailbreaking the device gets you. However I will try a couple of alternative iFunbox apps to see.

tom_tm

I thought Apple put paid to apps like iFunbox post iOS 6 or something? I certainly had no joy with it like I did before, and exchanging preset banks D through to G all of a sudden became a complete nightmare. All this *because of* Jailbreaking, and Apple being complete security control freaks.

kitejan

iFunbox works now so long as the app has "itunes sharing" of some description. Which is useful for managing apps that support it, but useless in this situation. It looks like if you upgrade to iOS you lose all the NS data.

tom_tm

I'm not going to get on my moral high horse, but honestly if you don't ever back up, you can hardly expect sympathy when everything goes tits up. It's a lesson I've learnt the hard way, after losing over a years worth of work a while back. Now I keep two copies of everything by backing up via Carbon Copy Cloner. It just isn't worth the pain otherwise.

And my suggestion to all those bemoaning the fact that iOS 11 has killed NS1, just buy an iPad 1 which are so cheap these days. I recently just missed one going for £30. Surely £30 is worth it for a copy of Nanostudio?

Slam-Cut

I agree with you tom_tm, and old iDevice is worth it, and people should have been backing up all along. I heard a security expert once say that if it doesn't exist in at least three places it doesn't exist. I'd recommend that people have a copy of all files/presets on a computer and an external hard drive that's kept in another location in case of theft or fire. iOS 10 gave plenty of warning about apps that won't work in iOS 11. Still it is sad to hear cases of people loosing years of work because they didn't pay attention.

dendy

best way to backup data is cloud .. there is very low chance that apple's iCloud or dropbox (or any other big player in cloud storage business) will die :-)

Stiksi

The problem with trusting the cloud is that if you lose internet connectivity, you lose access to your file history. And it's super slow. For work, I use Time Machine running constantly and CCC doing weekly backups and daily for my main drive, and my work folder is in my dropbox folder, so it's being synced to all my computers, which all have active backups. Time machine is great for single files, but you wouldn't want to rely it for all your backups.

I have six degrees of backup and still I get burned by loopholes like using shared creative cloud folders for one project – those aren't backed up by creative cloud (also not mentioned anywhere) and weren't on my main drive, so they only got weekly backups.

Slam-Cut

Yeah, iCloud & Dropbox certainly shouldn't be overlooked as options, but you still had to use Nanosync with a computer. Unless I'm missing something there? One could have backed up entire contents of an iPhone to the iCloud, but since they only give 5GB free I just backed up to my computer. I don't think there was a way to use Nanosync directly to iCloud or Dropbox. I think the problem was that people started to drink the Kool-Aid and believe they didn't need computers anymore. Apple would be their mommy and back up everything for them. Oops!

I like Stiksi's idea of six degrees of back up (separation). Does that mean that your backups know backups that know backups... that eventually know my backups?

Stiksi

I don't know, some of those backups might be mockups like I found out…

Slam-Cut

HA!

tom_tm

'there is very low chance that apple's iCloud or dropbox (or any other big player in cloud storage business) will die :-)'

You'd hope so. However Apple did kill off Me dot com and every bit of storage associated with it. But at least we did get plenty of warning about this.

tom_tm

In all fairness though, the removal of the AppStore from iTunes, and hence iOS to Mac filesharing, is what we've been crying out for for years, right? It will be interesting to see how other developers cope with this, and I don't know what iOS 11 has install for us, as my device now won't go that high (10 max). But it'll be awful that the process of backing up will be even slower than it was before.

Stiksi

"'there is very low chance that apple's iCloud or dropbox (or any other big player in cloud storage business) will die :-)'

You'd hope so. However Apple did kill off Me dot com and every bit of storage associated with it. But at least we did get plenty of warning about this."

There was also that time when Apple transitioned from iCloud storage to iCloud Drive, and if you updated one of your devices to iCloud Drive (it was an easy mistake to make) you'd lose access to all the data on all the other devices. Coupled with the very lacklustre pace of apps updating their services to Drive, and some just not doing it at all, there was plenty of potential for permanent data loss. Apple is not a trustworthy cloud company.