Does writing NS2 pay the Bills

7 replies [Last post]
pixelblip

Hi Matt
I was having a conversation about NS2 in the office today and showing peeps the nice screenshots.

Don't laugh at me for asking this.......I am just curious.....hope you don't mind the question......as I got thinking about it.

I was wondering is this a full time thing for you - developing this app..........or do you do other things for a living.
It must take a lot of programming to write an app like this ( and time ). Especially if you are on your own. I was thinking how many copies is he going to sell of this program .........vs how much time has he spent on it.

I am sure the answer is that it's not so glamorous and easy to earn money being an IOS developer.........of course you don't do it for the money.......

Anyway just curious!

Thanks.

Blip Interactive

Yes it's been more than full time - at least 12 hour working days. So writing NS2 is really a big 3-4 year risk, as NS1 only earns some pocket money these days. To be honest I've got to the stage where I don't really care if the risk pays off or not - I just want to get the damned thing finished and released!

Slam-Cut

While I empathize with your situation, I think I can speak for the NS fans in saying we really want this to be a financial success. If you can't earn a living from this then our favorite must-have iOS DAW is in jeopardy. Admittedly these are selfish reasons. I hope you have some sort of marketing plan in mind based on your experience with NS1. I, as well many on this forum no doubt, are willing to help spread the word and help create some buzz for NS2. If the December release date is still on target, then I think we should begin talking up NS2 all over the Internet and via all social media. Is there anything you don't want us to say? Perhaps we should leave out the bit about Unicorns & Fairy Dust?

Harisonzamperla

I'll definitely encourage all my musician colleagues to purchase it and promote it a bit. Nanostudio fills a void in music work flow nothing else at this point does. The recent 32 bit purge has been tragic (at least temporarily :)

Harisonzamperla

Matt I'm curious. Does iphone OS still relegate audio threads to a background priority over UI or did you ever find a work around? It puzzles me that even tho my devices get more powerful each year apps still seem to struggle with resources

nano

.. ;)

pixelblip

Thanks for the reply Matt. I didn't realise it took so much time to do. I'm sure it will reap its rewards.
To think you've done something a lot of people will enjoy and be inspired with....all the new music that will come out.

Maybe it will be fun to run a Christmas NS2 combo when it's released so we can show it off to the world.

dendy

we all wish that matt earns enough $$$ for ns2 base + iap stuff so it will be sustainable to continue develop new stuff...if not, there are still posibilities like kickstarter, i’m pretty sure community will do everythinh possible to hold this supercool project alive