Does writing NS2 pay the Bills

21 replies [Last post]
pixelblip

Hi Matt
I was having a conversation about NS2 in the office today and showing peeps the nice screenshots.

Don't laugh at me for asking this.......I am just curious.....hope you don't mind the question......as I got thinking about it.

I was wondering is this a full time thing for you - developing this app..........or do you do other things for a living.
It must take a lot of programming to write an app like this ( and time ). Especially if you are on your own. I was thinking how many copies is he going to sell of this program .........vs how much time has he spent on it.

I am sure the answer is that it's not so glamorous and easy to earn money being an IOS developer.........of course you don't do it for the money.......

Anyway just curious!

Thanks.

Blip Interactive

Yes it's been more than full time - at least 12 hour working days. So writing NS2 is really a big 3-4 year risk, as NS1 only earns some pocket money these days. To be honest I've got to the stage where I don't really care if the risk pays off or not - I just want to get the damned thing finished and released!

Slam-Cut

While I empathize with your situation, I think I can speak for the NS fans in saying we really want this to be a financial success. If you can't earn a living from this then our favorite must-have iOS DAW is in jeopardy. Admittedly these are selfish reasons. I hope you have some sort of marketing plan in mind based on your experience with NS1. I, as well many on this forum no doubt, are willing to help spread the word and help create some buzz for NS2. If the December release date is still on target, then I think we should begin talking up NS2 all over the Internet and via all social media. Is there anything you don't want us to say? Perhaps we should leave out the bit about Unicorns & Fairy Dust?

Harisonzamperla

I'll definitely encourage all my musician colleagues to purchase it and promote it a bit. Nanostudio fills a void in music work flow nothing else at this point does. The recent 32 bit purge has been tragic (at least temporarily :)

Harisonzamperla

Matt I'm curious. Does iphone OS still relegate audio threads to a background priority over UI or did you ever find a work around? It puzzles me that even tho my devices get more powerful each year apps still seem to struggle with resources

nano

.. ;)

pixelblip

Thanks for the reply Matt. I didn't realise it took so much time to do. I'm sure it will reap its rewards.
To think you've done something a lot of people will enjoy and be inspired with....all the new music that will come out.

Maybe it will be fun to run a Christmas NS2 combo when it's released so we can show it off to the world.

dendy

we all wish that matt earns enough $$$ for ns2 base + iap stuff so it will be sustainable to continue develop new stuff...if not, there are still posibilities like kickstarter, i’m pretty sure community will do everythinh possible to hold this supercool project alive

Dwa88

Matt,

Just wanted to say this platform you’ve created has been an essential tool in a lot of our creative processes. I know your hard at work with NS2, and I’ll surely be one of the many to convert, but speaking for myself (and I’ve seen many more who may have the same sentiment), you’ve created such a great platform in NS1 that many of us have toiled and worked for years inside of NS1 building our own creative projects. As a producer, NS1 has been my go-to. I know you’ve been saying there would be no update to NS1 so it hasn’t been a secret to anyone- BUT... NS1 was still for a lot of us the best product out. So we continued to use since no viable option presented itself and, of course, with the amount of time spent inside NS1 we become confident in our increasing abilities to master the end product via NS1. I have a ton of work on NS1 that I’d love to continue working on. If it’s a financial issue, I’ll guarantee to donate $$$ for an update to 64-bit even if it’s after NS2 is released and I’m sure many of its users would also. If that isn’t feasible wcould we atleast gain compatibility to load/edit NS1 project files? Maybe import NS1 presets? I know it has been stated numerous times here, but Thank you!

Slam-Cut

From what I remember of what Matt said, it is impossible to convert NS1 to 64 bit, and there is no feasible way to import NS1 .nsp or .prj files into NS2. I think the best remedy is to keep an old iOS device or two for NS1 to live on, and newer iDevices with iOS 11+ will only be able to run NS2. I am confident that when NS2 comes out we will quickly forget about using NS1, except to manually transfer old projects to NS2. Once the Audio Tracks update to NS2 comes out it should be really easy to convert NS1 projects to NS2 using audio tracks.

nano

hm ..

Harisonzamperla

NanoStudio still runs on pc/mac. I nanosynced all my projects to pc and I'll use that if necessary. I'm really ready for ns2 tho

Major Lee

Hi and thanks for the trick. I was wondering how I would keep my old projects once all my Apple ithings would be on iso11. Now i am keeping an old iphone 5c to run Nanostudio.
To Matt : I will try to promote you on facebook but at the moment, i am only a FB beginner. Cross fingers, you will earn your ham!

tom_tm

Today I purchased an iPad Mini 1 for £99 (sure I could have got one cheaper, but couldn't be arsed with doing with that- and this one is mint). NS1 working great, of course.

tom_tm

Actually, and after a lot of testing, NS1 isn't working as great as one would have hoped. :(

So, basically, and if you like me love loads of layers of atmosphere and drones, an iPad Mini v1 is a waste of money. It works well with Animoog, but crackles a lot with iVCS3 and most importantly NS.

So it appears that if you wish to get an old iPad for Nanostudio 1, iPad 4 (not mini) is best.

I fully understand everyone is also going mental seeing we're still in November. And really worrying, I can't believe it that my NS record, which I wanted to go the record label way (instead of just Bandcamp etc) is probably going to take just as long as NS2 to arrive, and by then, no one will give a damn! I feel like a complete fraud and a cheat! "Oh look it's that nutter tom_tm bloke sitting in the corner talking to himself again about this non-existent LP that's taken too long to make and equally as long to release... Should have just shoved it on Bandcamp..." "I wonder if it actually exists at all??" etc etc ;-)

Paranoia. It eats you alive.

nano

mustang 1970 = nanostudio 2010 (ios)

http://everyi.com/by-capability/maximum-supported-ios-version-for-ipod-i...

there is no info about " manufacturing closed , or will be closed ..
but all these devices are on that way ..

new app - old system or device = problem ( ok )
old app - new system or device = problem ?

everyone will buy ns2 ..
it is not about CLOSED ns , it is ABOUT closed ns ..
it is about to say " good bye " to your mustang 1970 ;)

ok , lets go :

there will be new apps with " all you want all you need " (forever)
time cannot damage something like nanostudio is ...
nanostudio = app forever , no matter if year 2017 or 25857
nobody care about nanostudio 376 ..

solutions :

- new device system (buy new app) - closed manufacturing
- pay 4 use (buy every year - or buy export)

hm ..

there is pcloud.com .. buy storage 4 lifetime = 250 $ (2T)

hm ..

nano

hm .. i have to change name to " hm "

Slam-Cut

@tom_tm: Good tip on the iPad mini. If it were me, I'd try to get the newest iDevice that is on iOS 10.

Re: releasing album
There is no reason why you can't release both on Bandcamp and a physical CD/LP later. Maybe consider an EP on Bandcamp, then a complete physical release later. I would recommend trying to release yourself as an indie artist and avoid a label. They are just going to take a really big piece of what will likely to be a small pie.

This is the new model: self-release (through companies such as CB Baby, Bandcamp, etc.), do your own promotion (online & real world), sell your music at your shows. Rinse & repeat until such time as you are making so much money that it makes sense to hire people to handle the promotion for you. I think a great 'low budget' way to go is to do a Bandcamp release first, promote the hell out of it online and then use whatever money is generated from Bandcamp to fund getting physical CDs made at CDBaby. However a greater impact can be had if you can invest in the physical product first and do a real world release at the same time as a virtual (online) release. Maybe that's the route for a follow up album.

The truth is that we are in the Great Flood era wherein the music world is drowning in a sea of musical releases. Because everyone has the technology to create music right on their mobil phones, it is now a herculian effort to get your music heard, let alone stand out enough to develop a fan base and actually sell any music. If you want some great industry insight into the Indie Music scene I highly recommend listening to the CD Baby DIY Musician's Podcast. Listen to every episode - some of them twice. You will find a lot of great ideas to dispel your natural paranoia.

tom_tm

Hey Slam-Cut! It is goint to be released on CD, but limited release or about 200 units. It's also going out via Bandcamp too, so it all good. I e been drinking vodka so I've less paranoi now. Vodka always good! Like Blip and his morphine! Haha!

Actually the iPad Mini mk 1 isn't that bad, you just need to adjust the latency settings a bit and then it stops crackling. But you can now pick up 16gig iPads for about £65 which is insanely cheap.

tom_tm

PS Spelling mistakes aren't caused by vodka (promise!) but by typing on an iPhone.

syrupcore

@tom_tm did you try upping the buffer settings? How many tracks+fx until you got crackles?

tom_tm

@syrupcore, I did just that and it worked far better. The iPad mini is just so unbelievably cute! I want loads of them!