My last Nanostudio 1 project

5 replies [Last post]
kitejan

Well - today is a bitter-sweet sort of day. Why? Because I have completed my last(*) NS album. I finally decided I was just making smaller and smaller changes to the tracks and everything was as good as it was going to get. Plus I wanted that 1.5gb space off my iPad for other purposes :-)

This is a "concept" album inspired by the wonderful and dark Scarfolk blog (about a fictional town in North West UK that is stuck in the 1970s - and captures the feel and paranoia of that era perfectly. I grew up in a real town in the North West of the UK in the 1970s that reminds me a little of Scarfolk). One of the blog posts was about the kind of dark and surreal albums you would find in the Scarfolk lending library - and "Sounds of Disillusionment" with brilliant track names like "Nice Noose" and "Scorn on the Cob" caught my eye and imagination . So I started using all the half finished "idea" tracks I had lying around (some going back to 2011) to match the track names and adding some real world samples where I could.

Everything is Nanostudio - aided by just about every app I've had over the years: including ThumbJam, Thor, Nave, Addictive, Moebius, SoundScaper, Sunrizer, iVCS3, etc. All polished slightly with Final Touch.

And so here it is - my last NS 1 album. Thanks Matt for creating something that allowed me to do all this over the past 6 years. Looking forward to seeing what NS2 brings :-)

(*) well maybe not the last, LAST, ever project. There might be occasional extra ones here and there whilst I can still run NS1on something portable - but certainly the last complete album.

https://acollectionofnotes.bandcamp.com/album/sounds-of-disillusionment-...

Jim Hanks

Congrats Jan! Looking forward to giving it a listen.

syrupcore

Six songs in and digging it quite a bit. Congrats!

Cover art is great too! Other than having to look at that mug. The texturing etc... looks fully legit. Nice work all around!

kitejan

I would love to claim full credit - but I cant. I edited the original "fake" cover art from the original blog post (https://scarfolk.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/library-music-lps-1970s.html) because I didn't want to use the actual material. So I added a certain "someone" - I did however "age" that lovely photo using "The Gimp" photo editor to try and make it fit in.

The genius of Scarfolk was always the editing of old photos and posters to give them a dark twist. I'm sure if you browse the site you will see what I mean (although it does help to have grown up in Northern Britain in the 1970s - there is a shared culture thing here).

Slam-Cut

Nicely done! While I'm not familiar with the blog nor the North UK culture of the 70's, I found the album to be quite enjoyable just as electronic music. Some great textures and ambiance. Track titles were darkly humorous and I'm left wondering WTF must've been going on, although Scorn on the Cob does leave me feeling a bit hungry...

kitejan

For "Scorn-on-the Cob" I had wanted to actually record some corn popping in the microwave, but couldn't quite work out how to do it - but in the end I felt the sounds I already had reminded me of it, so it was all good :-)