NS2 - Progress report and screenshots

307 replies [Last post]
Slam-Cut

Oh yeah... I like that one.

Fid Rizz

Ok, almost missed the party here :)

My few questions:

1. Will there be a vst/au version of NS2 in the future, which can load NS2 projects and (finally) create a link between iOS/PC/Mac? I know - no audio tracks means no rendered iAU plugins, but still :)

2. Do we get an easy way to import sample patches like SoundFonts or SFZ?

3. Will there be iAU parameter automation?

4. Will there be an easy way to "sample" the output of a track, so that one could use it instantly in the sampler?

5. Did you thought about an "Autosample" Feature for the Sampler? So that one could sample CPU hungry iAU's as an easy to use sampler patch?

Thanks for your amazing work!

Slam-Cut

Since the Blip Team is... busy, I’ll try to answer based on what I remember Matt said (please take with a grain or two of salt).
1). iPad version first, then universal, PC or Mac version maybe much further down the road after audio tracks and various other things. No commitment on this yet.
2). I don’t remember soundfonts being mentioned, but it’s not needed in Obsidian since soundfonts are covered in apps like Bismark’s bs16i which is AUv3. So in NS2 you’ll be able to use soundfonts in bs16i as AUv3.
3). I think so, but I’m not sure on this.
4). Like the ‘Re-sample’ feature on TRG? Or do you mean a more direct method?
5). To me it looks like there is a lot of flexible control in assigning multiple samples in overlapping keyboard ranges, but I don’t think ‘Autosampling’ has been mentioned per se. I think we will place samples manually, which I’m all for.
Hope that helps a bit.

Horngalore

This is exciting!!!! I’ve used this app for a few years. Definitely worth the pennies!

JB Aikens

I’ve been using Nano studio for years and have many compositions near complete on my iPad Pro.
After my iOS updated, I can no longer use or access my 100s of hours of work.
There was no warning about the ios11 compatibility issue.
It was research that led me here...
NS2 is great, but I need access to my music. The holiday was coming and I was going to gift some of my music to friends and family. I am locked out without warning

HELP please

Slam-Cut

Apple gave plenty of warning. Every handful of times I open NS, I get the warning that NS needs to be updated and will not work on iOS 11. Unless you haven’t opened NS in the past year, how did you miss that warning? I wish you had come to the forum right away and read the warning not to upgrade to iOS 11.

Some people have been able to revert back to iOS 10. I’m not sure how or if it is still possible, but give that a try. If you backed-up your iPhone/iPad before updating to iOS 11, the NS files should still be on your computer. Get a pre-iOS 11 iDevice and restore it from your last back-up. Then save the files to your computer, as well as to a few other hard drives, thumb drives, or SD cards.

Velocity127

You don't need a pre-iOS11 device if you have the backup archive.
You can use one of the "iBackup explorers" (e.g. iExplorer) to browse through application data inside the backup.
You won't be able to restore the app itself (which you don't need anyway I guess), but you have access to its data at the time of the backup.

I highly recommend downloading *every* app in iTunes/Desktop as well, otherwise you have no backup of the application itself and no previous version to install in case an app update does not work as expected.
From time to time, some apps just disappear from the App Store for various reasons, so be sure to regularly both make backups of your iDevice data as well as the apps themselves too.

Slam-Cut

Getting the old files is good advice, but then what? Just use the PC version of NS?
Having an iDevice that is not on iOS 11 seems the only way to really guarantee the ability to use NS1.

dendy

Old devices which are good enough for NS1 are really cheap .. it makes sense to buy just for NS1 for example old iPad Mini 1 (which is same HW like iPad 2, NS1 runs like a charm on it) ..

Stiksi

"I highly recommend downloading *every* app in iTunes/Desktop as well"

That would mean using an old version of iTunes as well – the new versions don't include apps.

James Willsey

I hope this is still coming along! I still can't find a single iOS app that I like as much as the original NS!

Slam-Cut

I agree with you entirely!
Not sure on release date, but looks like first quarter 2018. If we are really lucky January.
Stay tuned to this thread. We should get an update after the New Year.

tom_tm

While Sheperds rocked their iPad's at night...

CarSong

Merry Christmas everyone!

Atticus

Yes. Merry Christmas everybody. I’ve boozed so much it made me forget Nanostudio 2 for a day or three!

Cinebient

I´m waiting to get creative again with iOS.......just saying ;)

dendy

Wow, The Artist formerly known as Galaxyexplorer ! Welcome back dude !

Slam-Cut

It takes a lot of time to explore galaxies, and Cinebient’s been busy with his crazy VST powers.
If anyone should be a Beta tester it should be Cinebient. He was always pushing NS1 the hardest.

Cinebient

:) He he, to be serious i tried often to go back or at least integrate iOS more into my workflow again but beside some awesome synths like Zeeon i failed hard.
But NanoStudio 2 is my hope that i will be creative and have fun again on iOS too. I even consider a 12.9" iPad for this to try.
This synth called Obsidian especially looks to be worth to explore in depth and further.
Matt seems to not need or want beta testers as he seems to be more of the very secret and silence side of things.
I think he must already have his own little pool of trust worthy people to do that.
In the last weeks i followed this thread and i just hope NS2 will be ready before 2019 :)
BM3, Cubasis, Auria, etc......nah´not my thing.
All i want is the mighty NanoStudio workflow to the next level.
Since i´m on iOS 11 i´m out of luck now too.

Cinebient

...oh....and before i got drunken......i will say Happy New Year and so :D (still 6 hours to go here).
Cheers and hope to see/hear us soon.

dendy

6 hours ? looks we share same timezone :-)

Cinebient

I´m located in Germany. I´m alone at home and must have a look at my cat......like a real synth freak :D

Kenb6870

Any news on when NS2 will be released? Because it is now into the first week of 2018. I am glad I have waited and not updated to ios 11, because I still love the functionality that NS1 offers, and besides that, NS2 is not out, so i wouldn't be able to use it.

jwmmakerofmusic

Yeah, I’m also interested in an update mate. Even if there’s no new NS2 news, hopefully you can tell us if you’re alive, how your holidays and new years went, how you’re surviving tax season, etc. Lol.

Slam-Cut

@Kenb6870: Matt said that NS2 should work on iOS 9 & 10, so don’t update to iOS 11 until the Inquisition comes round and forces you to.

NZBX

It was better a fix to make Nanostudio work with iOS 11 ...
At least in the wait, we kept on playing!
:)

Silica Gel

I dunno if it's even possible, but a great thing would be a 64-bit app that could perhaps retrieve the data from NS, maybe just to transfer it out by way of NanoSync? iOS might not make that possible, I dunno. I foolishly updated to iOS 11 without doing a backup first (stupid) because of the Meltdown vulnerability, and of course now my NS work is locked away behind an app that won't start. If anyone already knows how to retrieve data from an iPhone app that won't run, I'd love to hear about it! I'll be researching anyway.

Also, adding a "me too!" to the interest in some kind of update from Blip. Any idea on a release date? I work in software; I know they always slip, but any update at all would be terribly appreciated!

Thanks!

Silica Gel

Follow-up to previous comment about extracting NS data from iPhone:

It's possible using the free version of a tool called iBackup Viewer. After creating a backup with iTunes, run iBackup Viewer. Click the...button that sort of looks like a tree or file browser?...for Raw Files. On the left, choose "AppDomain-co.uk.blipinteractive.NanoStudio", then highlight everything on the right (tip: click first one, scroll to the bottom, shift+click last one) and hit Export, Selected. That'll suck out all the files there onto a folder on your computer.

Now....as far as how to get those back into Nano Studio, say, on another device...well, I haven't gotten to that part yet! :-) But I'll post another update once I have that figured out.

Edit: I don't know if this is the most direct route, but it works:

1) Use iBackup Viewer to extract NS files from a recent iPhone backup as described above.
2) Install NanoStudio on your computer
3) Locate the NanoStudio data area on your computer (for Windows, it's under ProgramData on your system drive). You'll notice the directory structure is exactly the same as the data exported from the iPhone backup
4) Simply copy everything under "(your extracted data)/Documents/User" into the same place in the NanoStudio data area found in step 3.
5) Launch NanoStudio on your computer and shazam, all your projects at your fingertips!
6) Use the program to export NSP (the Manage screen), which you can then use with NanoSync to transfer to NS on a different device.

There may be reason to copy over other parts of the data export; I haven't explored it fully, yet. I'll post a new thread about this later.

Slam-Cut

FINALLY!!!

Thanks Silca Gel! I’ve been hoping somoeone would figure this out and post a solution here for others in the same predicament. I knew there had to be a way, but I didn’t want to use my iDevices as guinnea pigs. This needs a separate thread, which Matt will hopefully make into a Sticky.

Hurray for Silica Gel!!!!
(...and there was much rejoicing)

P.S. next time don’t wait so long before joining the forum. :-)

tom_tm

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!