NS2 - Progress report and screenshots

227 replies [Last post]
technokowski

Ha, well I love being the one to bring up the subjects lurking in the dark. As for AUv3, I guess I need to do a bit more of homework on them, as they seem too good to be true. I'm familiar with AUs in how they work in logic, and it seems they will be similar in NS2? What little bit I've used of AB3 so far, switching back and forth between apps to change small things sort of disrupts workflow (I'll never fully enjoy app switcher). I suppose getting the pith of AUv3 from blip is appropriate, seeing as though it's really the only place that I'm interested in using it.

Does this mean that I can create a track in NS2 and import an AUv3, such as an audio recorder, and send utilize it's audio features while IN NS2 and not have to switch back and forth? And I can manipulate functions of said audio recorder in the NS2 interface? I just bought the iSem for it's virtual midi and AU and AB functionality, and see that I can use it as mentioned in other apps. As I write this, I'm discovering my answer, but feel the need to keep the question anyhow (for preservation). If this is true for NS2, I'm beyond excited! Getting to use it like logic on the mac is gonna be awesome. The best sequencer, NanoStudio, able to control other synths, is gonna be rad. If this holds true, then just abandon the audiobus support, as this is way better.

nano

.. hm

dendy

technokowski: AU plugins on iOS works exactly same way like AU/VST plugins on desktop (includimg automation of plugin parameters) - you simply see plugin UI inside DAW and you project is saved together with all plugin settings.. you can also use multiple instances of same plugin in project (as much as you CPU can handle)

there is already a hell lot of fx/synths with AU support availble on iOS (just very few names: Zeeon (probably best analog synth emulation on both iOS/desktop;)), Phasemaker(DX7 clone), Troublemaker(303 clone), Ripplemaker (semimodular), Redshrike (VA monster), Marsenne (great percussion synth), Poison 202 (strongly inspired by Roland System1), ..that all are great synths... and they are just tiny fragment of all available plugins ..

technokowski

Oh me oh my, what have I discovered... It looks like I have some new things to play with till NS2 drops. I bought an iPad pro two months ago for NS2, so I've been waiting without exploring too much. I guess the only thing I've yet to uncover is an audio track replacement till NS2 implements them with an IAP. Anyone use the AudioMaster AUv3?

Slam-Cut

Well look at me! Making big assumptions and shit... I never even considered that there would be no support for AB. In theory the AUv3 thing sounds fantastic, but since I haven't yet used them it is an unknown to me. There will be plenty of apps I want to use that aren't AUv3, but I guess there will be work-arounds for that. I'm used to dealing with work-arounds by now. It's hard to know what to think until I can actually establish a realistic workflow with NS2, but I am curious why the decision to not support both AUv3 & AB.

Other than being pro-AUv3, and keeping the background app switching to a minimum, is it a headache to code the AB3 support? NS2 would seem a natural app to place at the end of AB chains once audio tracks are available. What happens when one wants to use hardware synths? MIDI can be sequenced, but how does the audio get routed to an audio track in NS2? AB would be my first thought. I'm already thinking of alternative ways of using AB3.

While I am planning to make NS2 the center of my new workflow, I wonder how others who already have AB3 oriented workflows will react to NS2 not having what is considered a standard feature for high-end apps. Will that stop them from getting NS2...? And I suppose I'll need to stop promoting NS2 on the AB forum. :o/

Slam-Cut

@technokowski: if you have an iPad Pro, then you should check out Auria Pro.

Slam-Cut

Additional NS2 questions:

Will you be using the term presets or patches, or both? Perhaps some new term to confuse people, like 'chips' (of Obsidian).
Is there an .nsp file equivilant, or do projects automatically save all samples & presets used avoiding the lost preset/sample issues in NS1?
Is December still the ETA?

nano

.. hm

jwmmakerofmusic

Okay, so after some searching, I couldn’t find an answer. Does anyone know how much NS2 is going to cost (both the base price and any IAPs initially released)? I need to know how much to pop into my iTunes account since the ETA of release is next month. No cost is too big or too small. Just gave Korg $30 for the three new IAPs in Gadget, so this shows the level of commitment I have to apps I use every day.

This said, I love AB3. Getting MIDI from one app to another is stellar. That said, NS2 not having that wouldn’t cripple my workflow given my workflow will change with NS2’s release anyway. My current workflow is to create stems/loops in Beathawk 2, Gadget, and Beatmaker 3 (where IAA loops are crafted). Then all is arranged and mixed in BM3, and the final mix is dumped into Auria for audio mastering. With NS2, Beatmaker 3 will simply become one of the 3 apps in which I craft loops and stems.

Sometimes, workflows need to be adaptable and modular in order to make use of everything. Thank the santa christ iOS 11 has drag and drop and AudioShare is Files compatible in order to make shuffling all this audio around a million times easier, lol.

Stiksi

Pricing hasn't been announced. I guess we'll find out when we find out :)

jwmmakerofmusic

Very true. Well I’ll be blunt. I hope it isn’t subscription-only. (As opposed to a pricey-but-fair one time fee or even a hybrid payment system for people who can’t afford a pricey one-time fee right off the bat.) I’ll snap up the IAPs when they AREN’T on sale in order to help better sustain development. I’ll even pay upwards of $50 one time fee for the NS2 app (or higher).

We’ll see what the man of the hour says. Fingers crossed.

Blip Interactive

No don't worry, I'm no fan of the subscription model either. The only time it makes sense to me is if you have some software you need occasionally for a few weeks in the year (eg. maybe you do contract work and your client needs you to use a particular tool) and you can subscribe for just the month you need rather than buying it outright.

As for pricing - I really haven't yet decided. Supplying the future audio track function as IAP seems like quite an attractive option as would give me a way to provide a slighter lower base price for the main app, and only those who want audio tracks would have to pay for them.

jwmmakerofmusic

Phew! This is a huge relief. To me, the only time a subscription makes sense is when cloud storage is involved in some way. Like for instance, if I rent a storage unit in real life, I expect to pay money for it. Cloud storage is the same as a virtual storage unit. Dropbox, Creative Cloud, iCloud, etc.

One company who decided it was okay to disable saving files locally on your iPad unless you went with a subscription plan is Celsys. I waited years for Clip Studio Paint to make it to the iPad. Welp, until they wake up and smell the roses, the hell with them. I’ll stick to ProCreate to create album covers, lol.

Another way to have sustainable income besides having audio tracks as an IAP is by having sample packs as IAPs. As I said before, I’d pay good money for orchestral sounds, world instruments, rock and roll guitars, etc. One person who I’d recommend collaborating with is DSK.

http://www.dskmusic.com

I have a feeling his samples would fit comfortably in Obsidian. Outsourcing and licensing sounds from him and other sources to be developed into Obsidian presets would be awesome.

Another money idea is having premium effects as IAPs. For instance, having a super transparent maximizer and EQ that can match spectral content (much like Pro-Q 2 and Pro-L) for mastering purposes that stably function as native effects within NS2’s infrastructure could net you some decent cash.

Of course I’m just spitballing ideas at the moment, procrastinating on a project I’m working on. Gotta get my ass back into Gadget, lol.

Jeppan74

I heard somewhere that regulars at the forum would get a 50% discount? ;)

dendy

Regulars at forum will refuse discount and will be proud to pay whole price :-)

Slam-Cut

I want NS2 so bad right now I'm willing to pay double!

jwmmakerofmusic

“Regulars at forum will refuse discount and will be proud to pay whole price :-)”

You’re damn right! :)

dendy

> I want NS2 so bad right now I'm willing to pay double!

:-)))

kitejan

Indeed!

Maybe all the die hard forums regulars could have custom NS2 versions? :-)

dendy

what about $100 IAP "Die Hard User" ... after purchasing, user will be able to upload own image as application startup screen :)

@matt, what you do you think about such idea ?

Blip Interactive

As long as I can have a $999 'insane virtual diamond pack' IAP, I'm happy.

jwmmakerofmusic

Waves Audio much? :P

technokowski

This is one of the those occasions where I would refuse to pay a discount. If it's as important as NS1 has been (and I am confident it will), then I would actually pay for a pro version that added nothing more than cosmetic changes (Micro transactions, anybody?). I want to make sure blip sees this as a success, and continue to charge for extra features through IAP. I for one have spent significant amount for custom patches from third party vendors for use with NS1 Eden (I suck at crafting instrument presets), and would love to continue that trend, but this time go through blip. Specifically, a synthwave/Outrun instrument preset and drum kits (TR-707, DR-55, gated reverb for snare, some 80s juno inspired obsidian patches, etc...), and I'll keep on purchasing them as they come out. Those are the kind of IAPs I love; they don't alter core functionality, only enhance the options. If obsidian is the beast it seems to be, then I may not even need to use other apps via AUv3 support, and stick with obsidian presets.

I think most of the blip community would agree with that approach to IAP, and I think the audio track IAP is a great start.

Slam-Cut

>As long as I can have a $999 'insane virtual diamond pack' IAP, I'm happy.

I think you should include it and see if there are any takers. It should turn the app icon into a diamond.
The IAP I am looking forward to is the Facial Recognition Emojis for track names. That'll be really important to my workflow.

technokowski

The possibilities are endless with IAP. $999 is bit too much for me, but I'd totally pay $4.99 or similar just to change the metronome sound to a cat's meow, change the system fonts 'papyrus'. And in order for the Facial Recognition Emojis to work, it would need work on the iPhone X. I thought NS2 (for now) is iPad only. Is there something I missed? But I agree, this would drastically change my workflow.

dendy

Posibility to have animated smiling emoji “shit” as track name ? Damn, shut up and take my money :)))

Slam-Cut

@technokowski: you missed the joke sign I typed with invisible ink. I'm so needing NS2 (since my current workflow has slowed to a crawl) that I'm delirious. Yeah, animated emojis are just iPhone X, but NS2 will be on iPhone sooner or later. And when that happens I'll get an iPhone X just for the animated emoji track names. And preset names!!! OMG! That will be flippin' awesome! I'll totally Instagram Selfies of me and my animated presets of Screaming Dubstep Poo Bass to all of my BFFs!

Edit:
I would like to appologize for the previous outburst and offer to pay for emotional therapy to anyone who was traumatized in any way for the completely irresponible reference to the micro-aggression term 'poo'. Oh crap! I said it again. This shit is unacceptable!

Edit: I would like to appologize for the previous outburst that followed the initial outburst for which I was appologizing. I will join nano offline until I have completed my emoji sensitivity training.

jwmmakerofmusic

Ah, the level of cringy humour here is at an all-time high, lol. I guess we’re all waiting for the release of NS2 (or at least the chance to sign up to crack down hard on bugs and glitches in the beta to get NS2 release-ready).

technokowski

Slam-Cut, I did see the invisible ink; I used my secret decoder ring to decipher its meaning. I hope the IAPs will help me to achieve a sense of pride and accomplishment (cultural relevancy). And I wonder if the poop emoji will cost extra, as I plan on producing tracks that are the shit! (or at least sound like shit.)

But on a serious note, we use humour to cope with stress, sadness, nerves, and to laugh at things which are funny. The above comments represent at least three of those.

And I'm hoping 'blip' is watching, and that this hacky attempt at humour is forcing him to work harder so we'll all stop this foolishness.

dendy

> (or at least sound like shit.)

did you hear demo tracks ? I'm sure this will be problem in NS2... To make sound it like shit :-))