NS2 - Progress report and screenshots

197 replies [Last post]
jwmmakerofmusic

I got almost 5gb of Soundfonts (currently in Caustic matter of fact), so imagine how awesome it’d be for Obsidian to be compatible.

Kaiko

Thanks Slam-Cut for your answer. ill try that, since I got 5 years of musicproduction inside the NS 1

NZBX

Obsidian not Oblivion. Sorry :)

dendy

Oblivion is where NS1 will go soon after NS2 release :-D

syrupcore

Oblivian: NS2 in-app purchase with the same guts as Obsidian but all of the controls are randomly laid out as knobs on a single scrollable view without labels.

dendy

yeah! true patch randomizer... and every time you tweak some knob, it’s parameter is switched with other random knob - so you never tweak sane parameter twice, after you tweak it, it’s location is lost ...

NZBX

Obsidian has a envelope on VCF?
In the pictures I don't see it.

syrupcore

@Nzbx Earlier in the thread Matt said

> Each of the 3 oscillators can have up to 32 sample zones, with configurable range, crossfade, level/pan/pan/pitch/loop type etc. You can layer the oscillators or switch/fade between them based on velocity. Or you could assign LFOs/envelopes to crossfade between them or ring modulate them for evolving sounds.

Also said that there's a mod matrix. If you can assign an envelop to crossfade or ring modulate the oscillators, I'm thinking Filter Envelope is a pretty safe bet. :)

NZBX

Damned OS 11!
Nanostudio I miss you.
It was nice to play with the headphones on the couch. :)
It's hard to wait until December.

nano

nanos tu dio (xidy) ...

a de ?

co nemas brile ? .. tam je kopa

mam , no do kym sa da , na nos tu dio (ptricke) nedam

.. bo tlacia ma ..

jwmmakerofmusic

Okay, I have a new question. Will I be able to automate an effect’s on/off switch? I find this would be insanely important mixing-wise. For instance, if I have a lead coming in via LP filter during the chorus of a track, for sure I’d want to push it back into the mix via EQ to make the vocals shine. However, then during the next 8 bars, the lead takes over to drive the melody of the chorus home and needs to “take the lead” in the mix. I’d want to quickly shut off the EQ affecting where the lead sits in the mix, hence automating the EQ’s on/off switch. Is this possible in NS2?

Knupomzig@gmail.com

Thank you for all your hard work! Over the last 7yrs I’ve made music from my iPod Touch 3rd Gen and iPhone 4 using Nanostudio and Figure.

scottwray.bandcamp.com and aetherinvader.bandcamp.com

I have created 20 full length albums in that time. I just got an iPhone SE and am hoping Nanostudio 2 supports iPad and iPhone SE on OS11 and above, eventually. I know it seems silly to have such a tiny mobile DAW but it has been my therapy for stressful days since the app’s beta inception. Thank you to Matt and the Nanostudio community. I have played live shows and released songs for radio stations from LA to UK to Germany. I’ve met with Clark of Warp Records and discussed his thoughts on mobile DAW. I have even gone so far as to present lectures in Portland OR USA at hospitals, advocating this medium of music creation to electronic music beginners and sharing the holistic benefits I have experienced making music while on the train or bus or even while long boarding haha. I mostly use Nanostudio. The Garage Band app has improved quite a bit but it still seems to create cookie cutter techniques rather than promote the creation of original content. Thanks again!

Cheers everyone! -Scott Wray

dendy

one of most positive posts on this forum ever... thumbs up !

digital midgets

I didn't know about iOS 11 and Nanostudio. Gutted. If I had known I would of recorded all my unfinished tracks into cubase before upgrading. Will it be possible to load old projects in NS2??

Ps - Thank you for NS1. It really has been wonderful. No other DAW has the same fast creative workflow :)

Freth

Thank you for the hard work. I'm looking forward to the extra joy and cheer NS2 is going to bring this Christmas. I echo the other sentiments. IAP is the way to go and I'm excited about the prospects of expansion with future IAP's.

Pinch me, I still can't believe it's almost here!

Slam-Cut

@digital midgets: no you cannot load .nsp or .prj files into NS2. However, if you were wise and backed up your .nsp files to a computer then you can still open them on said computer's version of NS. From there transfer tracks to NS2 as audio tracks (once that IAP becomes available) and your old projects will live on. Or just keep an old pre iOS 11 iDevice around for NS1. That's the safe bet.

dendy

> From there transfer tracks to NS2 as audio tracks (once that IAP becomes available)

I believe there will be still TRG alternative in NS2 so you don't need wait for audio tracks IAP, simply export stems from NS1 and import them to NS2 "trg v2" pads - classic way to work with wav's same like in NS1 :-)

digital midgets

Well that would of been easy. I've acquired an old IPad but can't use iOS 11 back up. Is there any way into back up files? Where are NS1 files stored in iTunes sync back up on computer? Thanks

Slam-Cut

dendy is right about the .trg files, and I think there will be no time limit on those in NS2.

The hard part is getting files back out of iOS 11. I'm not an expert in operating systems, and
it would be helpful if someone who had some expertise could figure out a way around this issue. I think there has to be a way to get at the last iTunes backup. If it were me I would buy an older iDevice that did not have iOS 11 on it, reset it if it were used, and set it up as a new iPhone from your last iTunes backup. Then it comes down to how good a person was about backing up.

Jack Frost

If there will be Audio Track support via IAP, then can I route audio from Audiobus or AUv3? There are a few synth apps I own which have portamento and polyphonic aftertouch. They are not possible for most MIDI sequencers including the one I use in Cubasis.

Slam-Cut

As I understand it, NS2 will support Audiobus 3 and AUv3. Once the audio tracks IAP is available, it should be really easy to use other app and even convert old NS1 projects to fresh new NS2 projects.

technokowski

*still eagerly waiting, and still curious

I can’t find if it’s been asked before, but will NS2 support split-key midi input? Not sure what it’s called exactly, but it’s when you have the one midi keyboard controlling two synth track/instances, one on the lower end of the keyboard, and one on the high end. I do this in logic so I can play bass with left, lead with right. Not a deal breaker, but I’m looking into getting an 88key midi and this will influence that decision. Much excite.

Slam-Cut

I don't remember that being mentioned yet, but I think it will be possible to do so using apps like AB3 and MIDIFlow Splitter. Control the split before the DAW or synth apps.

technokowski

Very interesting stuff, didn’t know about midiflow. I’m curious if it will be able to see two NS2 instruments at the same time and allow both to be played simultaneously in different zones, and even record them both live on their own tracks. In logic it’s not straightforward, but the process is simple; you enable two tracks, assign those tracks to regions on the same midi input device (if not split zones, they would just overlap), and both are triggered when their respective regions are played (I’m sure you know that, but I’m just trying to clarify how I’ve done it ;) Seeing as though there are multiple midi channels, I’m sure could be emulated somehow. The question I guess would be if NS2 will allow two tracks to be enabled at the same time. Thanks for your answer, btw — it’s helping fend off the anticipation woes.

Slam-Cut

I'm far from a MIDI guru, but I think it is as simple as having one NS track on MIDI chanel 1 and another on MIDI track 2, and then 2 separate Eden synth/sampler presets would respond to the different regions of the keyboard that are set to channel 1 or 2. I have MIDIFlow Splitter and AB3 but I haven't used them together so far since I have not needed keyboard splits. I got the bundle of MIDIflow apps from Johanes Doerr since they seemed to be very useful. As long as MIDIFlow Splitter will allow you to specify which octave ranges are assigned to which MIDI channel (and the apps description seems to imply this, but the description is about having two separate AB3 MIDI channels to differenat apps - so I'm not sure), you should be golden. This would work with NS1, which recieves MIDI input, just doesn't send MIDI out, except that NS1 doesn't work with AB3. That won't be the case with NS2.

You may want to try some other MIDI apps to see if there is one that will work with NS1. Why wait for NS2? If you find another app, please make sure to report back if it works out so that others will know how to do it. :o)

technokowski

Oh man, Midiflow is awesome! I just bought all of his work, great stuff. I didn’t even know about audiobus 3, so thanks for that. I understands Audio units now, and am eager to see how they co mingle with NS2. If anything, using NS2 as a midi sequencerto drive other apps will be amazing! I honestly didn’t understand how all that worked (I’ve been in the Stone Age, apparently). Unfortunately I can’t play with NS1, as my only old iPad is the 1st one (no iOS 8). No wonder blip is going to wait on audio tracks; we can now route the audio to an 8-track. Any recommendations on a multi track recorder? I have multitrack DAW, and it’s nice.

Slam-Cut

MultiTrack DAW has been around for a long time and it seems to do a good job with audio recording. Not sure what else can run on an iPad 1. Certainly Auria Pro can't, and Music Studio requires iOS 8. Those are the only other ones I've used. Stick with MultiTrack DAW until NS2 comes along, although you'll need a newer iPad for NS2.

nano

yes , that dark hole (harmoniccat's daw) without " do not follow locator " is really good ..

Blip Interactive

I was wondering when someone would ask about Audiobus. The answer seems to be 'only after everything else has been asked about'.
Audiobus has been brilliant but I firmly believe that AUv3 is the future, both for audio and MIDI:

- It supports multiple instances of a given synth or effect app
- It allows offline (non-realtime) mixdown
- Support for MIDI out as of iOS 11
- 'State saving' is as simple as just loading the NanoStudio project
- 'Wiring' between AUs (MIDI or audio) may be achieved simply in the host app via the use of FX chains and MIDI/audio sends
- Fully integrated user experience in the host app - no paging between different apps running in the background

If there are enough requests, I may add basic support for basic audio in/out via AB3 in a future version. But I would only do this if there was a compelling reason to do so, not just because some synth/FX apps are not yet implemented as AUv3.

kitejan

In my non-Nanostudio music making I just use AUM and as many AU3 apps as possible. Everything Blip just said is the reason why - so much just works and its really frustrating for synths like Animoog, Addictive & Nave having to go in to each one and select the actual patch. AU synths (iSem, Tines, Pads) and FX (ZeroReverb, Duplicat, etc) just are "there" between sessions.

I never found a compelling reason to upgrade to AB3 and haven't used AB2 for years now (apart from last week when I was trying to get Photophore to play nicely with AUM).

Have to see how I find a lack of AB in Nanostudio 2 - but would Inter-App Audio still work?