NS2 - Progress report and screenshots

156 replies [Last post]
jwmmakerofmusic

Hi Matt,

Ditching IAA sounds pretty controversial, but if that's the kick in the arse other devs need to start switching to AU, I support it 100%!

Also, that Orchestral IAP expansion sounds like it'll be incredibly awesome! I'm just saying, world samples done by continent would also be welcome since I like delving into a lot of world samples and such. For sure I can build my own sample sets, but I also wanna support sustained development of Nanostudio 2 while gaining professionally programmed sample patches. :D Win-win in my opinion. Cheers.

Feel_low

Thank you Matt & your team for giving me the chance of feeling like a real electronic musician with the cheap (and almost unlimited) NANOSTUDIO. Before no one will be using it anymore I want to share with you my latest tracks made fully into NANOSTUDIO. I hope the next version would let me be as creative as these years...

https://www.soundcloud.com/feellowmusic/nanostudio-tribute-by-feellow

Devvy

AU is the way to go.

Sinapsya

Hi Matt,
why you don't still maintain the EDEN synth as second choice in NS2?
Would be cool to have the new one as well the old one which is light for the system I think...

kitejan

... or Eden as an AU.......

Slam-Cut

I will continue to use Eden on my pre iOS 11 devices, but I bet that when we get our hands on Obsidian we won't miss Eden too much. However an Eden2 as an IAP for NS2 would be an automatic purchase.

Blip Interactive

Obsidian is pretty well a superset of Eden - anything Eden can do, Obsidian can do it too, with a few differences here and there.

So why would you want Eden? Simplicity of use? Or scared of change?

antrabbit

The main reason I would want Eden is the sound presets. Have these been recreated in Obsidian?

Some of my songs use these presets and I'd like to be able to continue using these in live performances.

Slam-Cut

antrabbit probably already knows what's in this thread, but for those who don't, maybe these thoughts will help.
There will likely be a huge thread on the forum about how to convert old NS1 projects to NS2 projects. Unless I'm missing something here, the main way to transfer old project to NS2 projects will revolve around 3 main functions:
1) create Obsibian sample-based presets from samples of Eden presets. This will work well for a lot of presets, but not all.
2) re-create Eden presets in Obsidian as synth presets. I imagine this route to be useful for those presets that require modulation during a performance. This may not sound exactly the same, but really close enough by the time you get the sounds in to a mix.
3) the new TRG (have I really already forgotten the new name...? Man I'm lame at remembering names) can be used to record parts that aren't 'performed' by a person when live. If you're not performing a part/pattern, just getting an updated NS2 version in the studio, then this is the easy route. Use the new TRG tracks like audio tracks (time limit having been basically removed in NS2). Of course this method won't be necessary once audio tracks are available.

Then it is just a matter of transferring MIDI files from the old NS1 project as well as stems (either in new TRG or audio tracks). Once your individual tracks are rearranged, then you'll have to re-mix it in the mixer, but the NS1 mixer will be a good guide so this shouldn't take too long. Stems in the new TRG will help a lot in recreating the song and get all the MIDI synced nicely. It will be a whole lot easier if you don't upgrade to iOS 11 so that you can have NS1 & NS2 on the same iDevice.

dendy

Plus you still can use desktop version of NS1 to export (or even finish!) your projects after you upgrade your iDevice to iOS11 ..

kitejan

My thinking about an AU version of Eden "as is" (and the legacy NS1 effects) is that both have a character of their own that is (I think) hard to get with other synths. That to me was always the strength - Eden had its own character that worked. I fully expect Obsidian to be much much better - but I have my doubts that it will sound the same as Eden even when configured the same (but I could be wrong - what do I know? :-)). I've been moving some NS1 projects over to Ableton Live with a view to performing live so mostly its been transferring the rendered NS1 channel WAV files then chopping them into the clips for the session view. However I want to play certain key parts "live" and I thought I would try and recreate some sounds in Ableton (the included analog synth - whatever its called). I would have thought any dual oscillator synth would sound similar to the "primitive" Eden - but I couldn't even get close.

Hence thinking that just having Eden as an AU (and who knows offered as a VST/AU for desktop DAWs) plus the Effects means we can use our old NS1 projects in the new world of NS2 (and even in the wonderful world of Desktop DAWs) with minimal change or re-engineering.

Personally I would be happy to pay for the AU version of Eden and I would be very interested in the VST version for the reasons above. not that I know anything about iOS or VST programming but I would have thought the technical challenges of just the sound engines would be a lot less than the whole sequencer package.....

Sinapsya

Is good to have a choice, plus every synth have his own thing, plus I have a bounce of presets bank ready done for it...

dendy

it would be nice, but because Blip Interactive is small company with limited resources, i prefer invest all time to NS2 developement ;-)

maybe later when we will have universal version, with audio tracks, and few another goodies.. then maybe Matt can hire some other coder and give him task to convert Eden code to AUv3 :-)

Blip Interactive

What Dendy said!

I've got my hands full enough right now. Maybe one day if there's enough interest in it then Eden could be made an IAP in NS2. But personally I feel that by then everyone would have moved on. Also, releasing an IAP synth which would basically be a crapper version of Obsidian probably wouldn't make sense to many buyers.

You never know, maybe a new synth from Eden's developer might be OK.

Slam-Cut

Good point dendy! Almost forgot about the desktop version.

Kitejan: are you moving projects to Abelton Live on a PC or Mac? If on PC you could just use MIDI out in NS2 to play Eden presets in PC version of NS1, a la dendy. You make a good point about the unique sonic character of synths (hard or soft), and I think a VST version might make sense, but I think the best way for us to guarantee use of Eden is to invest in used iDevices. Now that the new iPhones have been announced, I bet prices on used or even new iPhone 6+ or 5 would be super cheap. The question will be how to hook up two iPhones/iPads: will male to male lightning plugs work to transmit MIDI? I doubt it will be that simple.

Stiksi

Weren't there a couple of apps that specialized in MIDI syncing multiple iDevices through wifi?

Slam-Cut

The "through Wi-Fi" part sounds dodgy. It is worth looking into though.
I haven't searched yet, but I hope there is a useful lightning cable splitter to allow charging & MIDI at the same time, because I'd really like to be connected via cables when possible.

nanonic

this looks amazing!

dendy

stiksi, slam-cut: sync multiple devices or even idevice and desktop app (but works only on mac) using CoreMIDI : https://audeonic.com/midifire/

Slam-Cut

Thanks for the tip dendy! I have MIdiBridge & MidiBus but never used them since NS1 didn't have MIDI out. MIdiFire looks like a really useful app for the new year, which will henceforth be referred to as Year 1 A.N. (anno nano2). I would love to see a PC version added, but just iOS is all I really need. Now I'll start planning a way to hook up all my old iDevices via MIDI a la a future/retro mad scientist that I've always aspired to become.

internalogic

This is excellent, excellent news!!!

I am really looking forward to getting into this new iteration of NanoStudio. NanoStudio is the only workstation I've ever used since getting into electronic music composition about 4 years ago. I do plan to expand to work with others, but NS just has worked really well for me so far.

In the Eden presets, I almost always find myself using two main voices: 7th Heaven and Distorted View. I use others, but those two are *mine*. I hope there will be others that I love in this one.

Thank you so much for channeling your self-discipline to continue to create. It's a thing to be respected.

Here is my Soundcloud page, by the way (all NanoStudio):

https://soundcloud.com/nigeintruth

pquenin

It's seems that there will be Midi FX too, that's great !

Blip Interactive

Whoops I meant to remove that before I posted the screenshot :)

Yes there is support for MIDI effects, but I have made any yet so I'll probably enable that feature a bit later when I have some.

There may be time to add a simple transpose and filter for the first release, I'll see how it goes.

Feel_low

Excellent. Aproximate date for release?

Blip Interactive

Still aiming for December.

Feel_low

So, Jesper Jones and me have time to make our collab into NS1

pixelblip

I've just seen this post tonight!
That is amazing you have posted some screenshots. Amazing!
Obsidian looks really nice. Has a very modern look in flavour with what is in style at the moment.......sort of flat look but 3d knobs
I really like the colours of the arranger interface. I was thinking what is this going to look like. It is like v1 but more refined.

The mixer looks very stylish.

It's the best pressie for any of us this year.......can't wait for Santa's little Elves!

jwmmakerofmusic

Hi Matt,

Okay, so now I have a couple more questions for you mate.

1. Will you be adding a stereo widener as a part of the effects? Summing a mix to mono is very importing for the EQing portion of mixing as it helps me hear what frequencies are fighting. (If a “monaural” button is added to the master track, that’s also fine.)

2. Is your limiter a true brickwalling type of limiter where no signal surpasses the threshold? Or is it more like a compressor with lookahead and a 20:1 ratio that allows milliseconds worth of sound to pop through above the threshold? https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6rnclyxcr1yr8t/Photo%20Sep%2026%2C%202%2021%2... I much prefer it be a brickwalling type. Cheers. :)

Blip Interactive

> 1. Will you be adding a stereo widener as a part of the effects?

Yes there's a dedicated stereo imaging effect with pan, width, channel inversion/swapping and mono override control which you can use on any channel (including master or a submix group).

> 2. Is your limiter a true brickwalling type of limiter where no signal surpasses the threshold?

Yes - it's definitely not just a fast compressor with look ahead. Internally, the limiter section does have a tiny overshoot (around +0.05dB) which is then clipped, but this is just an implementation detail and you can treat it as brickwall. Again, you can use this as an insert on any channel or group, and all other channels/groups are latency compensated according to its lookahead so that the audio from all channels arrives in sync by the time it gets to the output.

jwmmakerofmusic

Thanks for the info. :) These are good things to know. Looks like Nanostudio 2 is shaping up to be the app that truly does it all.