NS2 - Progress report and screenshots

94 replies [Last post]
Jack Frost

Will NS2 support user wavetables? Will there also be an additive feature?

Blip Interactive

> Is the waveshaper in NS 2 (I love that thing)

Yes, with a couple of new shapes and optional oversampling to reduce aliasing.

> and can we export to ableton project files?

No but an exporter like that would be a fairly 'stand alone' thing which could be a candidate for future addition. For the first release I'm trying to focus on all the deeply integrated stuff which would be difficult to add in future.

Blip Interactive

> Will NS2 support user wavetables?

Do you mean converting a set of single cycle samples into a wavetable? Currently that's an offline process as there's a lot of resampling and filtering involved to preprocess the wavetables into something the synth can use at runtime. There's no real reason that this couldn't be integrated into the app but it's not something I forsee right now as there would be more important tasks to complete first.

Jack Frost

Not just that; I actually want to draw waveforms by simply editing the additive harmonics in bar graph mode. Analysing samples would be nice too, but may take up cpu. Support for AudioTerm wavetables would be pretty cool! Maybe you can ask permission from PPG Apps on Facebook to import wts files made in WaveGenerator.

kitejan

Can I make a suggestion regarding handling long samples in NS2?

I can? Oh good....

You say the NS1 limit was imposed to stop iOS crashing. How about having the behaviour controlled by a setting in NS2? Defaults to 90s sample limit (or whatever), but you can override this to however-long-I-want-my-sample with suitable "are you sure?' messages?

One of the impressive things about NS1 is how reliable it is. Zero data loss over 6 years is pretty damn good, and as data loss in something like NS might mean losing hours of work it's pretty important.

Just a thought :-)

tom_tm

'More important'?!? Go to your room laddie!!

This is where it gets complicated.....L it's being able to tune each note _seperately_ +/-100 cents. The easiest way todo this is using a txt file with you may predefine an octave or even span over several octaves, define this first then import hat into whichever instrument supports it but writing it down first in a scale file. Easy peasy. MIDI is a pain in the arse for microtuning because in order to get it working, your instrument really needs to support multichannel polyphonic pitchbend, meaning each note on each midi channel 1-16 is mono only but responds to pitchbend in order to reach the required note. Then the sequencer needs to support that too. You need to play a chord, but each note of each part of that chord needs to output on a separate midi channel.

kitejan

And another thought...

Will NS2 support compressed audio files as well as WAV? MP3 would be nice (but I guess there might be licensing issues) but the .m4a format that things like AudioShare uses would be lovely. More for handling the long field recording samples and not take up all my iPad memory.

TwistedGenetics

Thanks Matt -

The waveshaper is great on neuro bass, especially when modulating the contour:) so look forward to the new incarnation

I can wait for ableton export :) not a biggie right now

dendy

> You say the NS1 limit was imposed to stop iOS crashing. How about having the behaviour controlled by a setting in NS2? Defaults to 90s sample limit (or whatever), but you can override this to however-long-I-want-my-sample with suitable "are you sure?' messages?

This is actually pretty good idea ..

Regarding my expectations, i hope NS2 will have finally big fucking red button "make instant hit" !

B.Skaigh

The sequencer/piano roll screenshot seems to show that tempo and time signature can change within a project. Is that true? If so, It's a big deal because I'm pretty sure no other iOS app has that capability.

Will the sample based patches/presets use acoustic instruments? Please tell me there will be some sexy (or should I say "saxy") saxophones available. Also, regarding sample based, will they be multi-timbral?

I understand that iOS 9 or later is required. While I'm hoping Santa brings me a new iPad, I'm currently restricted to an iPad 2. Hoping it will work with NS2.

Kudos to you for not rushing this out. Unfortunately there are too many developers out there that release an app, then scramble to update it repeatedly to get it right.

nano
Slam-Cut

@B.Skaigh re:tempo change Matt wrote "Also the sequencer now supports tempo and time signature tracks (including export/import of those tracks to/from MIDI files)."

To me that looks like there are dedicated 'tracks' for tempo and time signature, and based on the screen shot one can make all sorts of weird changes. A bit mind blowing really.

Question: Will TRG2 be able to import TRG files from NS1? I know it is still way early, but I am just trying to get my head around some of the strategies for transferring projects from NS1 to NS2.

I think that by wetting our appetites you can see we are a ravenous pack of cyber-musicians.

Blip Interactive

> TRG2 be able to import TRG files from NS1

Yes. The import isn't perfect as the new version's functionality has some differences, but the spirit of the bank lives on!

djazz

LOLOLOLOLOLOL! :). This is going to be sweet... just the tempo and time signature tracks alone have me at instant buy. The addition of the audio tracks will take this to another level.

Will the tempo tracks affect the audio tracks too, I hope?

Blip Interactive

> Will the tempo tracks affect the audio tracks too, I hope?

Yes they will, this is actually one of the reasons I've put a temporary hold on releasing audio tracks - realtime tempo changes have added quite a number of complications that I want to ensure are solved properly, particularly those involving ramped tempo changes.

nano
Blip Interactive

> https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZT3Q77ZGgfrKfQkV77S6Rzgew3upjhs...

Love it. Now if only I had the time to build in Easter Eggs ...

djazz

I can only imagine... this will be an extremely useful update when it's available! A lot to look forward to.

> Will the tempo tracks
> Will the tempo tracks affect the audio tracks too, I hope?

Yes they will, this is actually one of the reasons I've put a temporary hold on releasing audio tracks - realtime tempo changes have added quite a number of complications that I want to ensure are solved properly, particularly those involving ramped tempo changes.

nano

.. after we shotgun our third beer in a row .. ;)

iammane

Man this is all very exciting, tempo automation is great, have used that a bunch of times with heavy delay to get some weird stretchy effects. Obsidian is looking first class, glad to hear the sequencer workflow will be mostly unchanged.

I don't really have an ipad to run this on day to day so I'll be looking forward to the universal version, but I can't wait to lay down some cash on this :)

Jeppan74

I haven´t longed for Christmas this much since I was ten!!! :)
I might have missed this but you talked about auv3 and that the Obsidian could export to other apps like Aum. But will it work the opposite way? That I could bring in an external filter (like pump house) to my song in NS2?
Secondly, one of the many things that made NS stand out in the app-world was how easy it was to collaborate in NS. you just sent an nsp-file and it showed up on your friends iPad exactly the same as it was on your own. Will there be a simillar way to collab in NS2?

Jack Frost

Hey Blip, have you seen my reply in this thread about what I meant by user wavetables? In a nutshell, I meant editing the wavetables with additive synthesis, but AudioTerm support would be cool. Maybe you can ask permission from PPG Apps on FB for support for wavetables made in WaveGenerator.

Blip Interactive

The sequencer/piano roll screenshot seems to show that tempo and time signature can change within a project. Is that true?

> Yes that's correct. Tempo changes can be stepped or linearly ramped. Time signature changes must occur on bar boundaries.

Will the sample based patches/presets use acoustic instruments? Also, regarding sample based, will they be multi-timbral?

The base app will mainly contain just synthesis based patches to keep the download small. There will be a set of multi-sample based patches available as IAP, and the idea is that these will fill in the gaps which synthesis can't - ie. mainly acoustic and orchestral instruments.

> I might have missed this but you talked about auv3 and that the Obsidian could export to other apps like Aum. But will it work the opposite way?

NS2 will support AUv3 instances as effects or instruments. Alternatively, you could use the external MIDI out instrument to send MIDI to an instrument on the device (virtual MIDI) or externally (hardware instrument). What interfacing method with Aum did you have in mind?

> Will there be a simillar way to collab in NS2?

Yes, you can send self-contained project archives just like NS1 via Dropbox, Airdrop or email. Airdrop's probably the best option for collaborating with those physically close to you, or for copying to a second device. On the subject of collaboration, Ableton Link is also supported.

> In a nutshell, I meant editing the wavetables with additive synthesis, but AudioTerm support would be cool

Not at the moment, but I may consider additive synthesis as a new oscillator type in future.

> Will NS2 support compressed audio files as well as WAV?

For reading, the app supports wav, aif, ogg, mp3 and m4a. For writing, wav, ogg and m4a (aac/mpeg-4 or lossless) are supported.

Sinapsya

Hi Mat, I'm one of your first users and becomes I'mstuck to software I buy an hardware Midi Sequencer and play only with hardware analog and digital synth and samplers right now....but I still have my iPad4 will be work on this? Plus I can try on my iPhone 6 as well but I just read in future update...so if you need an expert beta tester this is my TestFlight: sinapsya@yahoo.it...
Cheers

Blip Interactive

NS2 should work OK on an iPad 4. Any iPad which supports at least iOS 9 basically ...

l.b

Hi Matt, will the sample based oscillator support fade-in and fade-out that would stick to sample start and end even when sample start and length are being modulated?

jwmmakerofmusic

Hey Matt,

I saw you mention Orchestral and Acoustic IAPs for Obsidian's sampler. My question is - will you also include world instruments from Japan, China, India, Ireland (such as the Celtic Harp, Irish Flute, etc), etc? Will the orchestral set have sectional strings, brass, and woodwinds? (Instead of just a full strings patch, a violin section, trumpet section, etc.). Will you also have a piano patch, harpsichord patch, etc? I also need saxophones. Trust me on this one. ;)

If you will have the insane amount of useful, great-sounding instruments that Sampletank, Beathawk, Kontakt, Nexus, and other romplers have as Obsidian IAPs, you can count on me to buy up the whole lot and spread the word and tracks I make with them on the AudioBus forums and elsewhere. Let me know what's up mate.

Jack Frost

I want to know if Nanostudio 2 will support IAA because not all of my synth apps have AUv3 support

Blip Interactive

> Will the sample based oscillator support fade-in and fade-out that would stick to sample start and end even when sample start and length are being modulated

Not currently, but it's something I'd like to improve in future.

> Will you also include world instruments ...

Some of this is yet to be decided/subject to quality control. There are ensembles which are mainly brass and string based, possibly also vocal/choir. Solo sampled instruments include bassoon, cello, clarinet, contrabass, electric/acoustic piano, flute, french horn, guitar, harp, oboe, bell/timpani, organ, saxophone, trombone, trumpet, viola, violin and xylophone. The idea behind the orchestral IAP is to provide a solid set of producer/songwriter multisamples which complement the synthesis-based patches but don't go too deeply into any single genre - that may be the purpose of future IAP. Of course, you can also use the multisample sets as the basis for synthesised patches.

> I want to know if Nanostudio 2 will support IAA

No, I think IAA is an old technology which should ultimately be put behind us as a bad memory, even if there's still a (tiny) argument for it in 2017 - but only as a legacy. IAA seemed half-baked at launch and took a long time to become half fit for purpose. By comparison, AUv3 has deep integration with the host to avoid horrible paging between apps and provides support for multiple instances, complete saving of the project with the host and mixdown within the host. If synth/effect developers are serious about their apps on iOS then they need to provide an AUv3 implementation. That may sound harsh but I've been waiting for it to go away and get replaced by something decent, and AUv3 is that replacement.

Slam-Cut

The Orchestral/Acoustic IAPs sound like they'll be a great addition to NS2.
I agree with abandoning IAA - it always seemed a bit wonky when I've used it in other apps.