NS2 - Progress report and screenshots

658 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

> Your move @BlipInteractive

The latest news from me is that I'm aiming to submit in mid-November, with the hope that the app will be ready for sale early December.

After I submit the app, that gives me 2-3 weeks to update the website and forum, and hopefully enough time for one or two turnarounds in the meantime if Apple reject the app and I need to fix stuff. I reckon there's a reasonable chance it might be rejected first time round as it's a complex app which interfaces with a lot of other things. Although I might get lucky.

spooky zoo

Great News Matt.

Good luck and fingers crossed with the last push! :)

alexbuga

Can we PLEEEASE have a look at the sample editor? Pleeease?

anickt

Glad to hear this! Looking forward to making NS2 the core of my music-making. I’ve been messing with NS-1 and it’s really clicking for me on many levels. Thanks @BlipInteractive !

pianoyan

Yee, and indeed, ha.

Trigger the Monkey

Great news Matt :) thanks for the update!

Slam-Cut

Great News! I can’t wait to buy NS2. It’ll be a happy Christmas this year.

Cinebient

Uhhh, i think about how many instances of Obsidian i could run on the latest iPad Pro......maybe i got me one for my birthday.

jwmmakerofmusic

@BlipInteractive

Could I be added to perform a final inspection of NS2 to hunt any possible remaining bugs? I have a 2018 "budget" ipad, 2017 iPad Pro 12.9", and an iPhone SE (that's for future reference). Sometimes companies have me betatest from the get-go, but an art software company brought me on last minute to perform the final inspections on their flagship product update soon to have its release. (In that case, everything is a "go"!)

Also, will NS2 be compatible with AirPods? I recently acquired a pair and could test those. If not, that's fine too, but given the latest iPad Pros got rid of the headphone jack (fucking ridiculous I know), AirPods sound good enough to refine rough mixes enough before hooking up monitor headphones for the final polish.

EDIT: Oh, and in case you wondered, I don't expect a promo code. I have $80 currently saved up already so when NS2 full release drops, I'm all set.

Atticus

Hope you like it Cinebient. I’m going to try to wangle one somehow.

Trigger the Monkey

I can help also, if needed. I've been a one-man band for s/w beta testing for some large corporate and government IT systems over the past few decades, so am used to structuring a software review, methodically working through the software (looking at looking at a range of common and edge cases), and documenting any issues in a helpful way.

I've never really been involved in using formal testing techniques, however. Us Kiwis tend to be one man bands who can deliver but often haven't had much formal training...! You may think of us as "cowboys" :)

I have an ipad mini 2 (A1489) and an ipad 5th gen (A1822), both are on current IOS (12.0.1?)

I have a very small collection of AUs as well. I suspect integration with these may be one of the hardest things to test, based on some previous bad experiences I've had with AUs.

Happy to help, and I should have a fair bit of free time over the next few months.

Slam-Cut

@Cinebient: Go for it! the latest iPad Pro would be a real powerful tool. I’m thinking about one myself... I’m just not sure how to deal with the lack of Audio Jack and whether or not USB-C is a plus.

Cinebient

But since only the 1TB option has 6GB RAM (which i would want of course) it´s about 2K here.
USB-C is a plus for me (but of course it will be limited trough iOS) but the missing headphone jack really sucks for me.
I guess i will look at these in the store next week. I would def. go for the 12.9" and hope Matt optimized it for the screen as well.
Also the 11" is another screen size to support now.
We will see how it works and if iOS will grow further but at least on paper this new iPads are monsters in a slim case (so i´m scared for thermal throttle as well).
But for sure we will have only USB-C and no headphone jack now in future iOS devices. So we have to deal with it.
But life is short and NanoStudio isn´t for iPhone this year and i can´t damn wait any longer :)
There is really NO iOS DAW i want to use since iOS 11 and i just play around with synth apps and then go to my mac for music creation.
I hope NS2 will change that again since i need some fresh inspiration. Obsidian where are you?

dendy

> But life is short and NanoStudio isn´t for iPhone this year and i can´t damn wait any longer :)

Now, this is correct way of thinking !! Old good galaxyexplorer is back !!

nano

tyjovole , to bola jazda cakat na to nanostudio .. ;)

Cinebient

What i would hope is that someone take it really to the next level (i would prefer NS2 here of course) and support f.e. the smart keyboard or any other keyboard as midi input and for short cuts....mainly like i can do it in Logic. I can play much better actually on a computer keyboard i ever could do on a touch screen.
So i could mimic my current notebook workflow but with multi-touch on top. This could actually be indeed a game changer for me :)

dendy

what is beneffit of smart keyboard compared to thing like Korg NanoKeys Studio, where you have keys, knobs, it's small and portable (approx size of ipad) and no cables needed ?

regarding short-cuts, i think they are step back with touchscreen device, lot more intuitive is heavy ussage of double (and probably triple) taps (and other gestures) to trigger advanced actions for currently opened screen... i learned after years with iOS that you need think different, rewire your brain... Tabled (phone) is different kimd of device, until you don't accept it and until you will try to apply things which works perfectly in computer world to tablet world, you will be never satisfied...

Cinebient

Depending on your workflow there are many things working a lot faster than you ever could with a touch screen and you don´t need to switch apps. And i actually would like to have all these options on one device since it should be possible.
I have a Seaboard Rise 25 but still prefer often my macbooks keys for midi input and no midi keyboard is as small and portable as f.e. a smart keyboard (or other slim cases with keys).
Beside that rewiring my brain is beyond my capabilities at this point :D
Well, i will give it a try again since my latest experience with the iPad 10.5" failed and i returned it.
This time i would go for the 12.9" which might be a better experience with a lot more performance as well. Of course i will try to push it to the limits :)

MikeGenius

This company is bull shit there ethics is trash, they say one thing and mean another!!!! There never coming out with a new version!!!

alexbuga

This company is one guy who I'm assuming worked his ass off for this new version, while I believe he has a daytime job.
I'm a developer also. One cannot support a family from working 2-3 years on an app the size of NanoStudio and waiting for the money to flow in. One has to have a daily job also. So most apps out there are a labor of love and lost nights for most of us.

So you can show a little respect.

anickt

Rough night at the Genius Bar?

Nu2moro

Absolutely no need for that at all!

Slam-Cut

MikeGenius is obviously no genius. That was an A-hole post, but I’d have a token amount of respect for him if he comes back in a month and says ‘sorry’ for being a jerk and is really enjoying NS2. ...but he won’t. We’ll soon forget because we’ll be too busy enjoying NS2.

kitejan

Hmm - helpful post that. I'm kind of wondering if you were the person over on the FB iPad group who was asking if it was possible to get a refund for NS even though you have had it ages!

I think you will find we are all desperate for the new NS2 - and some of us (me at least) sad that NS1 will die on the new versions of iOS. But I can't complain - I've had it 7 years and had loads of fun making music that I like - and all for the cost of a couple of issues of Computer Music magazine plus a coffee.

jwmmakerofmusic

@Everyone but MikeGenius, please pardon my terse tone. Tired of these KVR types seeping into our world.

Right, so "MikeGenius" sounds familiar. I think that's the wanker what Michael booted off the AudioBus forums for starting the same shit.

1. Matt is NOT a "company". He's one person.
2. Matt's building an entire fucking DAW, not just a synth.
3. It's not November 15th yet.
4. Matt suffered a massive burnout in December last year trying to complete Nanostudio to be released on Christmas. He chose to stop date-setting UNTIL he was near the end of the road.

How funny - the "genius" has just become schooled.

dendy

i know this kind of people.. it’s complete wasting of time react on him.. don’t feed the troll, please ;) And stay positive, this is what i like most on this forum, soo much positive people i didn’t saw on any other forum, never...

jwmmakerofmusic

It is very true. Well, that's why I came here today, to feed on the positivity to not feel so bummed out, only to discover a roach floating in my chicken noodle. x'D And, usually the first reaction to a roach in the food is aggravation, lol.

shimmy

So I used the AUV3 FM easentials in Garageband. If you use AUV3 on several tracks and change the preset sound, all the AUV3 tracks presets change to the preset I just chose. Will it behave like this in NS2? I want to be able to use different presets on different tracks using the same AUV3 instances.

dendy

shimmy> This is bug in Yamaha FM essentials, it's not related to DAW where you use it. Other AU plugins doesn't work that way.

shimmy

@dendy...thats good news!