NS2 - Progress report and screenshots

563 replies [Last post]
Velocity127

Judging from what I see in post #13, I would say we won't get anything like the sampler in BM3.
I guess a "sample" will always be one audio file.
With 32 zones and the option to layer up to 3 oscillators in 3 velocity ranges, I'd say that is just the minimum necessary to build "good enough" sample programs.
Being able to load an sf2 sound font file as oscillator waveform like in some other synths would of course be fantastic and much easier, given that you can have lots of velocity layers and keyboard zones in an sf2 file :)
I wouldn't mind even if it was a switchable mode like either OSC1-3 or SF2-OSC. The settings inside the SF2 could be overridden by Obsidian's envelope, LFO and filter settings. But who am I to request new features again ;)

Slam-Cut

I don’t have BM2 or 3 so I don’t know what the sampler is like.

“With 32 zones and the option to layer up to 3 oscillators in 3 velocity ranges, I'd say that is just the minimum necessary to build "good enough" sample programs.”

What is “good enough” is very subjective. The quote above sounds pretty awesome to me.
If one is composing for big budget films, iOS apps might not be the way to go. Spending thousands of dollars/Euros for the huge VST synth/sampler libraries is something different than a iOS DAW for under $50. If my guess is correct, there really is no limit to how many layers of sounds can be stacked up to create layers of sound, either in the source of the samples or by using Obsidian to ‘bounce’ samples down and using more Oscillators for more samples. If you are desiring more velocity layers to replicate the dynamics of classical music then I think that is beyond the expectations of what NS2 will be, which is primarily catering to the creation of electronic music and not a full replacement for a classical musician’s skill of dynamics.

Velocity layers in SF2 files: which synths play SF2 files and are they AUv3?

I doubt Obsidian will play SF2 files, but who knows? Isn’t the point of AUv3 that every synth doesn’t have to do every kind of synthesis? With NS2 we’ll be able to make music using all of the synths: some directly via AUv3 and others by using samples and audio loops.

dendy

for more complex sampled instuments with many velocity layers there is now VirSyn AudioLayer AUv3 sampler ;)

i see Obsidian's sampling functionality more like creative synth-sampling tool than something for large sample-based instruments with many velocity sensitive layers... Up to 32 zones of (stereo !) samples and 3 velocity layers combined with powerfull modulation engine - that's for me lot more than i expected from Eden successor ;) A hell lot of creative posibilities..

Cinebient

Oh that was just a question but it´s not a must have. For the huge things i indeed have Kontakt 5 and Falcon but still prefer EXS24 in Logic.
While it offer also velocity layers i often still prefer just using one sample for the whole range. Or maybe just 1 per 1-2 octaves or so.
Sometimes you get even more interesting sounds, especially at the low end then. But of course some samplers are better as others here as well. Hardware samplers from the past f.e. had that sample rate converter ver voice which gave sound more growl and gritty sometimes than the original even.
For acoustic instruments i prefer multisamples but for synths i love to stretch them across a whole range.
I´m a bit confused since there was mention of 32 sample zones and then later of 24.
However, with 24 sample zones for the whole range (you need not even always) with up to 3 velocity layers (or more if you use multiple instances of Obsidian) would be enough for an iOS sampler for me.
Especially if you sample with FX and mastering you can get some amazing results just with a few samples for a wide range of octaves and even don´t have to use cpu intense FX. So a dry sound can be a wonderful sound of wall.
Example (i hope it´s O.k. to post here) just one sample for 3 octaves, just custom made presets from synths and FX:
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/sampled-pad-one-sample-per-32-semi...
So NanoStudio will do some nice stuff with the hybrid synth. Still my most awaited iOS app EVER!
Not really interested much in iOS for music production.....beside Model D, Zeeon, Animoog and NanoStudio.

nano

all this could be so simple ...

10 keywait
20 beep
30 goto 10
end

syrupcore

10 beep
20 goto 10
end

CODE BLOAT. Please remove the superfluous "end" statement before submitting.

nano

;) .. update 2.17

10 beep
20 export to youtube
30 end

- some bugs fixed
- some new bugs added

syrupcore

I don't want or need Obsidian to be the best at anything. I want it to be generally good/flexible and hyperstupidcrazyefficient—just like Eden. Can use AUv3 for anything else.

Slam-Cut

Thanks dendy for the tip on VirSyn AudioLayer. I’ll wait until after NS2 comes out to see if I need more powerful sampling, but I’m guessing that Obsidian will be more than enough sampler for my needs.

kitejan

[quote]10 keywait
20 beep
30 goto 10
end[/quote]

Hey - that's my next album there! :-)

nano

here is a drum machine .. ;)

10 keywait
20 boom
30 goto 10

(c) all this could be so simple 2018

MikeGenius

Wow nano studio is a great big NO SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeGenius

It was the best then it went down hill The company is a no-show

gr1m

Please do not feed the trolls.

Slam-Cut

I just happen to be all out of troll food.

Velocity127

@Slam-Cut:
Yes, I meant "good enough" in a positive way.
For sf2, there's bs-16i, the sample players in Audio Evolution Mobile, Caustic and Auria and certainly a few others I don't remember now.

Slam-Cut

Thanks for the clarification. It’s hard to know what users are doing outside of NS. People with big PC/Mac DAWs and vast libraries may have a certain standard that may not be fair to try to hold as a standard for NS2 to reach. I’m optimistic that sampling in NS2 will handle my needs as an iOS musician, but I don’t have things like Kontact sample libraries. :/

I also use bs-16i and I think it handles GM (and other) soundfonts well enough to tick that check box in an iOS workflow. It will probably all depend upon each project, but I imagine samples and soundfonts to mostly be a smaller percentage of my tracks. For me the combination of Obsidian, Samples, MIDI, and AUv3 synths/soundfonts/FX etc. is really pretty exciting.

Velocity127

I do work a lot with Kontakt libraries and I've found it to be very important where to draw the line between iPad and PC/Mac DAW.
Some people are fine with doing complete productions on the iPad only, but the workflow doing this on the iPad is still a PITA imho compared to PC/Mac, so I prefer to use the iPad only for what it's best at: Sketching, early phases of composition, remote control, experimentation and having fun trying out new stuff.
I've even started designing new synth sounds on the iPad because the knobs are more accessible than in desktop software (thor, Zeeon, Arturia synths and PatchMorpher > blofeld hardware).

dendy

> but the workflow doing this on the iPad is still a PITA imho compared to PC/Ma

depends on your workflow and production needs ... for me sice i started with iOS, it is pita work on desktop, on other side highly enjoing iOS-only production .. Probably this is mainly because i sit whole day before computer screen in my work (i'm coder), so i do not ejoy sit there also in my free time when i make music ..

Stiksi

Honestly, I get more done in Ableton because of Push. Software keyboards are still horrible to play on and connecting controllers to the iPad is a big hassle. That's my main issue. On the other hand, I keep my focus better on the iPad because, ironically, I can't be distracted by the iPad.

kitejan

@dendy: Yes - I work on a PC all day, so making music "not on a PC" really helps.
@stiksi: I picked up a Push for Ableton as well - really did help in using Ableton - I was more focused somehow. Still not actually achieved anything (i.e. finished) in Ableton mind you - don't think I ever will :-)

I find I like just messing with devices - so I've been experimenting with a Bastl Kastle (lo-fi grungy cheap modular synth) passing through a Korg Monotron Delay (lo-fi grungy cheap delay) then into iOS for processing, and a Novation Circuit. Its all a bit improvised-twiddle-the-knobs-see-what-happens kind of thing, but it was definitely fun. And DEFINITELY more fun than trying to work out what to do next on one of those unfinished Ableton tracks.....

Slam-Cut

“Some people are fine with doing complete productions on the iPad only, but the workflow doing this on the iPad is still a PITA imho compared to PC/Mac”

I’m one of those ‘some people’. PC DAWs can also be a PITA. I suppose it’s all a matter of what you get used to doing. On PC DAWs I found all the options, sub-menus, connections, tools, etc., which Pro users understand and ‘need’, got in my way of just trying to compose music. I could never get over the learning curves, because spending time in my music room with desktop & hardware got more difficult with the demands of life. With iDevices I can work in short amounts of time whereever I am, so the learning curves were easier. And of course Nanostudio made the whole thing a lot easier to actually create complete pieces of music. Were I a Pro, it would be easy to take NS projects into a desktop DAW and use really expensive sound libraries to make a project sound entirely awesome, but since I don’t get a paycheck for making music, I can’t afford those high-end libraries. Therefore I am content with the best I can do on an iPad.
Also I noted last year when I saw JMJ in concert that he used an iPad (Animoog I think) on one song. To me that says a lot for the potential of the iPad as a musical instrument.

Velocity127

Absolutely!

I still draw the line somewhere to continue the production on a PC/Mac DAW, although that has changed dramatically in the meantime.
On the iPad 1, my work was not much more than writing simple beats, melodies and chords using NanoStudio, Beatmaker 2 and Cubasis 1, while today, with Korg Gadget and its MIDI master/slave sync, Stockholm (Dr OctoRex from Reason, playing all my RX2 files), a nice wavetable synth and the ability to record audio tracks and having a simple guitar amp and cabinet simulator, I go much further on the iPad and iPhone than I did a few years ago, now together with my hardware gear.
It's only a matter of iOS software :)

Slam-Cut

It’s good to have the PC/Mac skills. Hopefully NS2 will enable you to get much more done in iOS then ever before. I can see a day where all the features of desktop, iOS, and hardware will merge into one big smooth workflow.

tfmc369

Just checking to see if it is still coming along? I see the comments are getting further apart timewise.
Thank you Blip for all the hard work you are putting into this project.
Will keep waiting until that magical day......

gr1m

Best of luck to Matt and our beloved unborn baby Nano 2 on Sep 12. Hopefully Apple hasn't done anything to f-up the birth of our little bundle of joy.

spooky zoo

"Best of luck to Matt and our beloved unborn baby Nano 2 on Sep 12. Hopefully Apple hasn't done anything to f-up the birth of our little bundle of joy."

Wait! What?

dendy

There is no official nor unofficial on any other release date till yet .. i'm pretty sure we all will know it lot sooner than 2 weeks before it happens so that sounds just like gr1m's hallucination :-)

spooky zoo

%$##&*@$ ##%@!+!!

Blip Interactive

My ongoing apologies for the lack of updates. I've just had my head down getting on with it - the current battle is a sample editor which can efficiently handle samples of an hour or longer. That battle's almost won but the war's not quite over as I need to wrap up some IAP stuff.

I'll start making noise more once I'm certain there's a concrete reason for more noise to be made. I recently improved the production on one of the demos, have a listen:

It's all done using the built-in effects/synths and a few of the 400 or so (single hit) drum samples which come as standard. I'll be including it as one of the demo projects.