NS2 - Progress report and screenshots

563 replies [Last post]
Slam-Cut

We on the forum caused this situation by creating the monster Wish List from Hell.

tom_tm

^^^ What Slam-Cut said ^^^

nano

i asked only for a three in a row on trg board , hm

syrupcore

@syrupcore: Do you take your tea with sugar? One lump or two...?

With syrup, obvi.

Slam-Cut

My bad!

Major Lee

Hi Matt,
I am a 7 years old user of Nanostudio (but i am 46) and wonder if NS2 will only fit on ipad for the first release as you told us before ?

yentz

Just in case this app will ever be released I might buy a new Ipad actually. I never used the ipad for anything and don't like the concept but the idea of having a complete daw with me is awesome. Nanostudio 1 features everything I need already so I can do the mixdown in Live or Logic but if there was more features like audio, sidechaining etc it would be absolutely awesome.

darwiniandude

Checking in... *browses through this thread again on my lunch break*

Ok, back to the waiting game =P

fiddlercrab3

Bump! Checking in... Any updates?

Blip Interactive

Yes, I've just produced this pitiful offering : http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/11956#comment-34585

iernesto

Hi, I want to introduce myself: I’m Ivan and I’m new here. I’m amazed about NS2 and I want to know if there’s going to have some resources to save CPU (freeze mode, bounce in place a channel...etc.) Are midi effects (scales, arpeggiator) or midi au’s in NS2? Sorry if these questions have been a answered before.
Thanks.

Blip Interactive

Hi!

So far my experience is that the need for a freeze mode isn't urgent. I can get 16 or more synths up and running with 10's of audio FX on an iPad Air 2 with a buffer size of around 5ms. If you go up to around 10ms it can do even more.

However, when I implement the audio tracks IAP that will be a good time to add a freeze mode (since it essentially involves rendering the synths and FX on that track and then playing it as an audio track).

I've provided for internal and external (AU) MIDI FX but haven't written any internal ones yet! I was hoping to add a couple of simple internal ones as proof of concept (eg. transpose or event filter) and leave it open for external AUv3 MIDI effects.

iernesto

Seems all great to me. Thank you very much for answer my questions.

darwiniandude

From my perspective, Nanostudio 1 was incredibly efficient on the ancient iOS hardware when it came out. Extremely impressive what was capable. I can only put that down to Matt/Blip’s awesome coding skills - as at the time other apps couldn’t do anywhere near as much as Nano Studio could.

It’s also great to hear development of a serious app like this being tested on an iPad Air2, (which is still a great iPad, and the oldest to handle current features like split screen multitasking) and the developer trying to keep the app working on old software versions too.

This leads me to expect that, as before, I’ll probably be blown away with what’s capable CPU speed wise on current hardware - I’ve read the initial release likely won’t have the UI for the iPhone, but in some benchmarks current iPhones are faster than a Quad Core i7.

Nanostudio was very inspiring to much around with and fashion up a tune. Can’t wait.

nano

.. cutting up old (trashed) sketch-touches ;)

https://soundcloud.com/nyveu/ano-sketch

MikeGenius

Seems like all you wanted was my money no new program nowhere in the future sound like you’re greedy American

Slam-Cut

NS1 was a super bargain and I know I got far more out of that app than the small amount Inpaid for it. Don’t dispair. NS2 is coming! ...or was that Winter that was coming...?

nano

.. there is osc 1 2 3 ..

is it :

( 1 2 3 ) -> one global adsr , filter , lfo ... ) -> to channel ( + fx )

or

( 1 ) -> adsr , filter , lfo ... \
( 2 ) -> adsr , filter , ufo ... ) -> to channel ( + fx )
( 3 ) -> adsr , filter , lfo ... /

?

dendy

@nano

If you look very precisely at this screenshot, you get answer to your question :-) There is (obviously) LFO in stage of selecting WHAT should be modulated (mesage "select a mod destination" at bottom). And you have that (+) icon on almost all knobs. You see there is active just OSC2 and you can map LFO to any of OSC2 controlls. From this screenshot is obvious that LFO/ENV are free to assign to any parameter which is possible to modulate..

There are hidden answers to LOT of curious questions in all published screenshots, there is hidden more info that it may look at first sigh.. one just need precisely look and screenshots :-)

nano

.. hm ;)

Cinebient

I remember to read here that you even can use an own envelope per operator for the FM.
What i would like to have would be MSEG´s since normal envelopes can´t do a lot things for certain tasks.
Oh, what i forgot to ask if there will be a capture recording feature. One of my most used things now.
Means when you just jam around and think you have a good one....just push a button and everything is saved as midi without you having to record actually. Because 90% of what i do are happy accidents i lost otherwise :)

wrave

In the time since NanoStudio got it's last update, I just realized that I've spent about $13,000 on modular gear...

...and yet my iPad1 running NS1 is still a powerhouse. It has a few dents and scratches on it now, doesn't update anything at all anymore, i don't even bother connecting it to the internet. It essentially exists for one reason: to crank out lots and lots of tracks. Lately I've been using Loopy more only because NS1 has no ability to sync clock with the outside world, and doesn't keep perfect time... but I'm working on that problem too.

I just wanted to say that I'll always love NS1. I love it just the way it is; never changing. It's so solid and stable, and I run it so often that it feels like the iPad and NanoStudio are almost synonymous. Given the hardware specs of NS2, I'd have to buy a whole new iPad, which I'd gladly do.

But seems likely that's the real culprit for NS2 taking as long as it's taking. The first one was clearly designed by a hard-as-nails perfectionist. ;) Just remember that "Nano" is still in the name, Blip. It's okay to put a cap on how many things it does; that's part of the NS charm.

Cinebient

Woah...and i thought i got the expensive route.
But yeah.....i really ONLY want NS2 for iOS....everything else is covered elsewhere.
I only maybe would use synth apps like Model D, Zeeon and Sunrizer (best sounding iOS apps ever) as AUv3 on top.
My biggest fault ever was to update to iOS 11 before NS2 is out. Since then i´m really not sure what to do with iOS music apps :)

spooky zoo

Nanostudio 2 screens look seriously tasty.

Love the new design and colour palette.

Only thing I'm not keen on is the rounded corners of the sequencer blocks.

Super excited for when this comes out. Hope Matt is keeping well during dev though. i.e Productive but happy! :)

Has there been any requests for newer audio demos?

pezzerdotcom

Good grief, I am literally dying to get my dirty hands all over this....

Meanwhile, I'm releasing a retrospective album of Nanostudio Jinx Padlock tunes on itunes, spotify etc

Will let you know when its out...

Lets get even more excited!

Slam-Cut

Unleash the Badgers V3 has been released on SC,

https://soundcloud.com/blip-interactive/unleash-the-badgers-v3

So it looks like NS2 is still being worked on. This version sounds really nice. Matt mentions a producer friend using NS2 to tweak this track. Lucky bastard! I'll call myself a 'producer' if I can come to the Blip Interactive Studio and give NS2 a try!

dendy

From this demo is very clear that NS2 have great pro-quality sounding engine and that synth can competite with top-notch desktop and even HW VA synths !

nano

vodka does not work (poison) ..

... lets go back to " dusting " ;D

I I I

" take it to perfection "

or

" lost in lfos " ... ? ;D

or

" doing nothing " .. just beach life .. 8-)

Cinebient

Now i read that again all.....are we going to get the option for velocity layers in the sampler or do we need all OSC then and could use just 3 velocity layers?

Slam-Cut

“Now i read that again all.....are we going to get the option for velocity layers in the sampler or do we need all OSC then and could use just 3 velocity layers?”

Looking at the photo in post # 439, OSC 2 is selected and the type is set as Sample. Does this mean that all three OSC could be multi-samples as well? That would be delightful. I don’t know what is normal in Logic Pro or any of your high-end AU, but I am delighted to have multi-samples even if only one OSC can handle samples at a given time. Re:VEL - I don’t see what VEL could be except Velocity, but between what? It would be nice to see a photo of the parameters for VEL. dendy is right, there are a lot of little details revealed in the photo