NS2 - Progress report and screenshots

472 replies [Last post]
NZBX

March slowly goes away...

axphin

I got a new iPad Mini and keep checking the app store every week or so to see if NanoStudio 2 is out.

In the mean time, this is giving me a chance to try and finish all of my WIP NS 1 tracks. Thankfully the OSX version still works.

Slam-Cut

Finishing up NS1 tracks is smart, and I have it on pretty good authority that Blip won’t release NS2 until all of our NS1 tracks are finished. Some sorta Pink Floyd thing I guess.

CrayTwoThree

Looks like, all that excitement is gone now,will come back later this year then:D
Thumbs up Matt, you are the legend anyway so take your time and I’m really looking forward to NS2.

CarSong

Excitment Gone!?????!!! NEVER!!!! COME ON GUYS! LET'S KEEP IT GOING!!!!!!!!.......GUYS?.........HELLOOOOOO..............

:'''''''''''(

Cinebient

Matt is busy to add some easter eggs......

CrayTwoThree

I didn’t meant it in bad way, at least he won’t feel the pressure:DDD

Blip Interactive

Hello it's me, still here!

I find myself somewhat caught between a rock and a hard place. If I post about progress, it potentially stirs up publicity about something which still isn't ready, which doesn't really help anyone (and I include myself in that!). If I don't post, it's tumbleweeds and I probably look like a grumpy git. The tumbleweeds are easily handled with a dustpan and brush, but the truth is that I am a grumpy git at the moment because I still haven't got this damn thing finished!

Since I missed my December deadline I've had to chill out a bit and slow down because I was working at an unsustainable pace which would have been impossible to keep up. I can seen that this will no doubt result in a better initial app - prior to December I was chucking in features at a high rate, but having a graze before the final hurdle (that's some sort of weird mixed horse-based metaphor I've just made up) has provided time to make it all feel a bit more mature and coherent.

I'm still going to keep quiet on an ETA because all my ETAs are complete and utter crap (just check my past history if you don't believe me).

I am wiling to say that nothing exciting's going to happen in the next couple of months.

On the brightside, er ... I haven't shared anyone's data with Facebook or some dodgy analytics company. So basically I can console myself with the fact that in terms of tech industry woes, I'm probably having a better time of it than Zuckerberg right now :)

gr1m

Well, that's a horse of a different color.

Slam-Cut

Enjoy the graze mate!
Delays to the release date won’t make me want NS2 any less. I do like hearing the occassional post from you though, even if there are no ETAs, screenshots, or discussion of features. Just good to know that you are still alive and still working on NS2. That gives us all hope.

I am intruiged by the small British tumbleweeds that fit in a dust pan. The ones I get are 3 to 4 feet in diameter. Maybe Matt has a HUGE dustpan!

peanut_gallery

@Blip Interactive: Perfectly timed post. I'm in the process of trying to find iOS workarounds until NS2 makes it's debut, and I'm cobbling together various AUv3 apps to make a Frankenstein version of NS (rather amazing to think about how many separate apps I need to equal basic functionality of NS, most important of which is a decent MIDI sequencer/editor, and I still have haven't found one to rival the one in NS). All that to say that I was thinking about getting Beathawk to provide TRG type functionality in an AUv3 setting, but was going to pass on it if NS2 was right around the corner. So I may end up investing in Beathawk as a temporary workaround after all.

Still eagerly waiting for NS2!

Blip Interactive

Jolly good!

So you've been a forum member for a lot of years now. Yet each time I see your username, I imagine a long shelf holding small glass fronted display cases such as you might see in a museum, with each case containing a single peanut, carefully mounted and annotated.

Please tell me you have a room just like this in your home.

peanut_gallery

Lol! I wish I had room for that in my home!

I've started to realize the term "peanut gallery" may be a phrase mostly used in the United States. Rather than my own explanation, here's the Google definition:

"noun NORTH AMERICAN informal
the top gallery in a theater, where the cheaper seats are located.

a group of people who criticize someone, often by focusing on insignificant details."

As a kid I was told many times, "Hey, no commenting from the peanut gallery."

My avatar in other forums is Statler and Waldorf from the Muppet Show, as they are the epitome of commenting from the peanut gallery.

I took the name because early on when the forums on sights on the Internet starting popping up, the whole concept of chiming in on a public forum with your own opinions seemed really odd to me and a bit like commenting from the peanut gallery.

Blip Interactive

Brilliant. Of course I could have probably Googled that, but then I would have learnt the truth and had my dreams dashed. Only this week I was disappointed to learn that a dustpan and brush were inappropriate equipment for cleaning up tumbleweeds, this really is the last straw.

Got any space for a small display case with one of those sliding drawers that go under bed? I mean, peanuts would take up a lot less space than taxidermy animals for example. In fact, as hobbies go, peanut collecting would be quite cheap and practical. And useful for when you need an energy boost and the convenience store is closed.

peanut_gallery

Definitely a space available for a small display case.

That said, my main problem with collecting peanuts: I'd probably eat them all before I got anything resembling a collection.

Blip Interactive

Good point, such a pastime would require some discipline. I suppose you could varnish them, or dip them in that stuff you use to top kids biting their nails.

I'm just wittering now.

Bewar3them00n

As the wait for Nanostudio 2 continues, I’ve embarked on my own studio project, an office design studio for my garden! Nothing groundbreaking ( although there’s been plenty of that!) but the need to have our own space away from the kids, has become very pressing!
After watching countless Grand Desgns and George Clarke’s amazing spaces, I picked up “Shëd” by the 2009 shed of the year winner and decided that it was now or never, so seeing as we were having a driveway put in, I got them to rip out my old shed, and lay concrete foundations for me.
It’s now a 2 horse race, Nanostudio 2 vs ‘Moon Studio 1, and it could be quite close, as it’s going to take me 2-3 months to complete, not to mention the steep learning curve embarking on something this big will involve, but once done, I’m hoping to have a cosy, but purpose built space for all my design, photography, and music needs.
it could well involve some modular creations of my own that pop out and fold away, so that I can maximise the space.
I looked at buying an off the shelf office/shed, but for the size I was looking for it was £10k+ my budget is about £3k so it’s time to dust down the DIY skills and get tooled up...
Watch this space......!

Blip Interactive

Tricky second app vs. shed completion - fight!

Trigger the Monkey

+1 on your comment Slam-Cut - the delay won't make me want NS2 any less either :)

No tumbleweeds here in NZ though - it rains too much...

jwmmakerofmusic

The delay won’t make me want NS2 any less either. For now, I have Gadget to muck about with until such time we have our NS2 and Obsidian. Cheers mate. :)

Slam-Cut

I love the idea of a peanut collection filling a gallery. I imagine them on pins like a butterfly collection, with really small placards of the scientific name. In the other wing next to it would be the walnut gallery, and beyond that the almond gallery and the hazelnut gallery.

Slam-Cut

The Tumbleweed/Russian Thistle was brought to the US (S Dakota) accidentally by Russian immigrants in 1873. It spread quickly, but most Western Films really shouldn’t have tumbleweeds unless they are set closer to the end of the century, like the 1890’s, but all the ‘Wild West’ excitement was mostly over by then. Nonetheless, facts notwithstanding, there is a rule that all Western films must feature tumbleweeds at some point in order to qualify as true ‘Westerns’.

Cinebient

So still many month away.....maybe it is even NOT the year then? :O
In the meantime we have then iOS 12 and iPad X or so to break things before they are even stable.
Must be hard to be an iOS developer.
I wish you would make Obsidian available as standalone app or even better AU/VST.
However, good luck Matt! I hope at the end it all pays out for you!

Blip Interactive

> ... maybe it is even NOT the year then

Seriously, definitely this is the year and it will serious definitely be before iOS12. Seriously. Definitely.

Last year I had a lot of stuff on the go - things kept taking longer than expected or ran into additional complications, and with only one developer at the helm (if you can call it that, maybe a drunk at the wheel might be more accurate), everything else kept getting pushed back whenever a task hit a snag. And if I'm honest, I'd include my own enthusiasm in that 'everything else' at times.

At some point in the last couple of months I feel this project's swapped from being something that was all a bit too much to fit in one head to something where the remaining tasks can actually be crammed in without requiring overuse of blunt instruments.

For a long time this project has been controlling me, now I feel I'm controlling it again. And man I will have my revenge on it, probably involving the aforementioned blunt instruments :)

syrupcore

Watches from afar, slowly sipping tumbleweed and peanut husk tea.

Slam-Cut

@syrupcore: Do you take your tea with sugar? One lump or two...?
I firmly believe that Merrie Melodies & Looney Tunes were the absolute pinnacle of human achievement. I’m hopeful that NS2 will probably be a close second.

@Blip: I imagine that enthusiasm would be tough to maintain throughout such a huge undertaking. Good to hear you are controlling the project once again. We’re cheering for you!

Cinebient

Psssst.....the project forced him to say that.....
Nah´, take whatever time it needs and don´t forget to have some serious tutorials and walktroughs on start.
Some more screenshots would help to believe in this projects.
I guess the wishlist is closed? :)

jbw

"For a long time this project has been controlling me, now I feel I'm controlling it again."

That's good to hear. I said it before, I say it again: Take your time. Trying to make what amounts to be an arbitrary deadline is rather pointless, and turns it into work.

Yeah, I guess setting a deadline (or some equivalent) can get you motivated in a sense, but seems to me that type of thing can turn into a looming darkness rather quick.

No, just jump in, let it flow. You had the desire to begin with, and I doubt that desire included the notion that this would be a burden. Let the vision you had be your joy, and any challenges that arise be your triumph!

nano

> seriously , this is the year ..

http://soho.43936.n8.nabble.com/nanostudio-td254.html#a280

;)

sch

Matt, thanks for the update, mate. Just wondering if you are going to develop NS2 to it's 'end product' stage, with audio tracks during this time period, or will that be an additional delayed development beyond the initial release still as you had discussed before?