NS2 - Progress report and screenshots

472 replies [Last post]
Nu2moro

Brilliant news! Put a smile on my face :-)

Pipstyles

Looking back at the screenshots I can't see sign of audio tracks. Is that a feature that going to be in 2, does anyone know (well, Matt obviously knows!) ?

Even if there was a basic stereo "guide" track, if not full audio tracks, with no effects, routing, auxiliaries, it'd still be a very useful feature. It's often very useful to drop something acoustic (played to click, typically) on a timeline and compose along to it. For us, it's how our band makes backing tracks. Right now, I can chop up into drum pad samples, but its quite tricky.

nano
pgd

Bonne nouvelle | merci Matt☮️

Slam-Cut

@Pipstyles: audio tracks will not be in initial release, but will be feature in a later IAP. However the TRG tracks will have no time limit (as I recall) and can therefore function much like audio tracks in the meantime.

CarSong

Oh really? That is good to know. The TRG record option is actually where I record all Audio/singing in Nano1 right now anyways. So, if it is the same in nano2, then that will allow me to do what I was hoping to do right away in nano 2.

I had figured that no audio in nano2 to begin with meant 0 ways to record audio directly in nano. In other words I thought we would have to record elswhere and upload any custom samples into nano2.

Right now in Nano 1 I usually get the instruments/drums down first (verse chorus melody etc). Then, for audio, I just pick an empty trg pad, hit record, change the monitor to song (1-whatever) and then record.

This allows me to sing live with the song playing thru my headphones. I have an IRig Mic that plugs directly into my ipad, and the mic itself has a headphone port. It is a little work aroundish, but for me it works amazing.

Plus with the IRig mic it allows you to catch samples from the real world to use in your songs. Much like what artists like Owl City do. Almost all of there sounds (drums ect) are custom recorded with a mic.

Slam-Cut

Yeah I’m pretty sure your workflow will be very similar in NS2. I would imagine that the actual audio tracks will be tricky to code into NS2 with some of the proposed new features such as changing time signatures and tempo. Gotta keep the audio tracks synced to the sequencer. The TRG pads however, are a bit more ‘on the fly.’ ...I think.

CarSong

So when you say changing time signature and tempo, i just want to clarify. As I have been wondering about that.

Does that mean when you load a sample in the synth, and try and play it a few octaves up or down, that it will no longer speed up or slow down the sample's play rate?

In other words, if I have a violin that holds its' sound for 4 seconds played normally, will I be then able to play it on lower/higher notes with just the sound getting higher or lower?
Meaning the 4 seconds of the violin would not change.

kitejan

I don't think we know exactly what features will be in the Audio Tracks/TRG for things like this. Would be nice if it did, wouldn't it? :-)

dendy

> In other words, if I have a violin that holds its' sound for 4 seconds played normally, will I be then able to play it on lower/higher notes with > just the sound getting higher or lower?
> Meaning the 4 seconds of the violin would not change.

This is so called "elastic audio" or realtime pitch shift / time stretch .. i don't think this feature will be in first version.. of course i cannot speak for Matt but this was not mentioned and i guess that such advanced feature will be maybe subject in some of future updates, maybe IAP's, after lot other more important things like audio tracks, iphone version, and so on :-)))

Slam-Cut

Yeah. The point I was trying to make, perhaps part of the reason for the delay with audio tracks is that there will (I think) need to be ‘mechanisms’ (can you tell I’m not a coder?) to keep sequences synced to audio, if say after an audio track is laid down and you want makes changes to the sequence that might involve for example a sequenced part slowing down while the audio plays normally. Sounds tricky to me.

Pipstyles

Thanks SC. The tricky thing with the pads is (was?) that they don't work out what they *would* be doing at a given point in time, after their trigger event. If I want to loop the 2nd chorus to work on that, I need a matching trigger event on the "guide" pads to trigger that section of the acoustic track, so it "happens".

With regard to the audio tracks, if Matt has gotten to the point of:

"well here's a basic stereo audio track which plays along with the sequenced stuff, but you can only control it's volume and that's it - that's not good enough for release, it needs effects, routing..."

STOP! That's great! It's a totally useful feature! Stick that basic audio track (with enable/disable perhaps), up there at the top, by the tempo mapping, call it "guide" or "cue" or something like that. It's absolutely worth having.

Karmamole

As I understand - there will be Dropbox support?

Could you possibly include OneDrive support as well? I used to be a Dropbox Pro user (5 Gigs really isn't enough these days), until I realized that I already get a full one Terabyte on OneDrive with my Office subscription, and saved myself $100 a year by just shifting all my cloud usage (as much as I can) to OneDrive. Unfortunately, I've noticed that many apps will support Dropbox but fewer will natively support OneDrive, not sure why - maybe Dropbox makes things easier for app developers? I have no idea.

In any case, OneDrive support would be much appreciated :)

syrupcore

> In any case, OneDrive support would be much appreciated :)

I think if NS2 supports the normal(ish) iOS document picker and/or open-in integration, it should be able to trade files with any other app that supports those. I imagine OneDrive does. Indeed, it seems to me that no developer should even be bothering with direct cloud integration SDKs anymore. Much more fun stuff to do! Audioshare integration is still nice to have because it's a little quicker and the app itself is music/audio focused.

dendy

Audioshare for fast forkflow and Apple iFiles for covering all posible cloud file sharings on earth is everything you need ;-)

CarSong

Aha. That's what it's called. Good to know.

It does seem like it would be pretty complex, it would be an AWESOME feature though. I have noticed that programs that have this feature are way out of my price range right now. Seeing some form of it in Nano2 as an in app purchase would be sweet indeed.

RokJok

Just checking in to see if there is any update? :)

RokJok

Gracias

tom_tm

I think this is all one big Apple conspiracy. There is and will be no NS2. Matt Blip has been kidnapped and is currently being fed spiders by the evil Tim Cook. It's all a ploy to get us to buy even more iStuff.

Slam-Cut

If there were no NS2, there would be no more reason to buy iStuff.

NZBX

Fortunately I always have a 3rd generation iPad with iOS 9. if I had to wait for NS2 to play...

Cinebient

Mmmhhhh....i really now regret updating to iOS 11 since i lost NS1 on my phone and also what i would call the best iOS synth ever when i think about what kind of sounds i made over the last years with it. It´s the good old Alchemy. The one in GarageBand is great too but so unfriendly to use and choose presets etc.
I mean i love analog tones like i get out of Zeeon, DRC and Model 15 but if there was ever a synth to make complete tracks with and from which i could say it was always the secret source of most of my Galaxyexplorer times it was Alchemy.
Obsidian looks like it could be a serious replacement (at least what i would call comes closest to it).
I wish Matt would be a bit more transparent since all competitors already released their latest stuff.
What about some little videos about Obsidian? Obsidian is all i´m interested in so far about music making on iOS.
Give me just Obsidian if NS2 takes still months. It´s also a sign that this project might be too big to support in the future.
Or is Blip Interactive sold to Apple like Camel Audio close before the release of Alchemy 2 :0
:)

dendy

> Or is Blip Interactive sold to Apple like Camel Audio close before the release of Alchemy 2 :0

that's unlikely .. as i know matt he would rather sell his kidney to fund NS2 developement that sell his soul to Apple :)

Cinebient

Of course it was not too serious but we all have a price. If someone offer you a better price as you ever make yourself out of a tool you invented or whatever to have you and your family financial save for ever or at least a very long time i would do it in a heartbeat.....like everyone else maybe ;)

Slam-Cut

Ah yes. That’s the old impatient Galaxeyexplorer I remember! Fear not my friend. NS2 is coming. I think it is not a case of the project being too big or it being bought by Apple (they feel they already have the perfect Apple-esque app in Garage Band, and NS2 is not going to be like an Apple-esque app). No, it is just that Matt is being a perfectionist on the one hand and on the other he is ironing out all the possible bugs to save headaches and more work that would come after the launch if he doesn’t get them now.

I am already wondering at what items will be thrown at Matt on a new Wish Lists thread once NS2 launches. Who will be the first to come up with some niche feature that is ‘essential’ to NS2? Personally I feel that NS2 absolutely needs a preconfigured chord arranger that updates weekly with the chord progression that is in vogue due to that week’s top pop hit. It should be called the Hit Maker, and with that activated it will make all of our tracks sound like the current top pop hits. Which is what is really important, right...?

Cinebient

I already have a large wishlist for NS3 :)

Stiksi

You know, Galaxy/Cinebient is right. We COULD stop waiting for NS2 and just skip ahead to waiting for the next one. That way there's no "oh god, please let it be tomorrow", but rather "fingers crossed I live long enough". Unless of course, both apply, in which case this might be in poor taste.

Anyway, I'm not expecting realtime spectral multiband pitch shifting in the 2.0 version. Save it for the 0.1.

jwmmakerofmusic

@Slam-Cut “Hit-maker”

So you’re utterly incapable of figuring out the “very complex” chord progression to something rubbish like Post Malone’s “Rockstar” innit? ;) You’re gonna pay a subscription fee for that type of service?

Slam-Cut

That’s the spirit! A Wish List for NS3! HA! I bet that sends shivers down Matt’s spine. I wonder what the Life Expectancy of NS2 is realistically. How long until iOS changes to 128 bit and no longer runs 64 bit apps?

“realtime spectral multiband pitch shifting” I’m not totally sure what that is but I want it. Especially if it will allow my bad singing to sound like a pop star or even a rock star based on presets.

CarSong

I know it would be creepy, and probably a very bad thing (because someone could hack your brain), but having something that recorded the music in your head would be sweet for NS3! Sometimes you can have a symphony going on in the head, but no way to capture every part :(