Update for future iOS compatibility?

25 replies [Last post]
howhuman

I recently received a notification on my iPhone when opening NanoStudio that said that the developer of the app needed to update the app or it would no longer work with future iOS updates. Is there an update coming?

syrupcore

No update to NS coming; instead a new app is in the works. Check the thread just below this one for details. http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/11587

QbAnYtO

I already asked this but will it support ns1 files like nsp? With sounds and samples and settings?

Feel_low

Matt said no. It will be a new interface with its own file extensions. It's a bit shame, but honestly, who will want keep using his old presets when a new full synthesizer will be for sure better and more complex?

QbAnYtO

Kinda sucks it isn’t supported on iOS 11.. so much music done.

dendy

To be honest .. after few days with iOS11 (i couldn't resist) i'm more and more disappointed .. it is pretty much crap, strongly thinking about going back to iOS10 and staying there forever :) Worst iOS version ever made ..

QbAnYtO

I’m doing just that right now.

Slam-Cut

They allow you to go back?!

Blip Interactive

Dendy posted this link:

http://osxdaily.com/2017/09/20/downgrade-ios-11-to-ios-10-iphone-ipad/

It may work for you if you do it soon (Apple stop 'signing' older versions after some time). You should follow the instructions very carefully.

I have to say I don't understand the need to update (I won't use the word upgrade) so quickly. I normally have to update one device for testing purposes, but I typically update all other devices 2-6 months after a new version comes out and that's only when I'm forced to and some vital reason for doing so. In most cases it makes the hardware slower, adds crap I don't want, changes things I'd got used to and breaks things which worked before. Of course I do appreciate that everyone has different needs/requirements. My personal need is for stability and predictability.

Last time I updated was because I accidentally tapped a millimetre away from the 'don't update' button on its f*cking dialogue. I then lost my whole afternoon because it immediately shut down and started updating without any further confirmation dialogue, and then had to update all my development tools and iTunes just to get back to work again. Thanks for the 'choice' Apple.

I'll shutup now.

nano

.. a reason to update ( 11 )

is

device damage (or lost) = new device = ios 11 (probably)

or

a new " abnormal perfectish " music app (ios11 only)

or

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nPGY2T9r1Ok

nano

.. my g'music station ;)

brushes redux
inkpad 2
audioshare
modular (pulse code)
hokusai 2
nanostudio *
daw (harmonicdog)
pearl guitar *
phone drive
pcloud
motiv
simplenote
nanobasic

.......................... * ios 11 = out

.. and " half of the appstore " in purchased (trash)

dendy

there is one handy thing in iOS11 - screen video+audio recording ... that was my major reason to update to ios11 and currently only one reason why i’m still staying with ios11 ... very useable for creating tutorials ;-)

nano

.. screen audio recording ?

oh ma delly

can you record " any now playing " ? (stream etc)

nano

.. any questions ?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7telpsAhOEU

.. ;)

dendy

> can you record " any now playing " ? (stream etc)

yes

nano

.. no way .. youtube , bandcamp .. record 1:1 (music) ?

dendy

yes

everything you see and hear is saved as video to your photos...

Slam-Cut

I'm sure there are legit reasons for that feature, but it also sounds like a dream feature for pirates
Last nail in coffin/casket of music industry, start of the end for film industry. Plus any other doom and gloom cliche one can think of...

nano

cOoL , good news , apple & google compress bandcamp ..
( bc will not work under ios 11 , please update to regions )

flatism

Gutted this isn't support one last time. Lost a lot of work now, due to regretfully updating to iOS11.

I respect the new version will be improved etc.
I just want to carry over my existing work for when NS2 is up n running.

syrupcore

I wonder if NS1 files are still available via iCloud (if you backed up that way)?

dendy

until you don’t deleted NS1 from device, projects are stll there... worst case scenario is to jailbreak device (after ios11 jailbreak will be available) and then download all
NS1 documents folder for example using iFile app available in Cydia, or iFunBox desktop app

but still best solution is revert back to iOS10.3.3 ;)

Slam-Cut

I knew after iOS 11 hit that we were going to see a lot of these situations on the forum.
I hope that people loosing their NS1 files doesn't sour them on NS2, even though this really isn't the app's fault. 'An Idiot's Guide to Recovering Lost NS1 Files' would be really good right about now.

Slam-Cut

I'm partly baffeled that people haven't paid attention to the incessent pop-up warning I see every time I open NS1. You know, the 'will not work in iOS11' pop-up warning. Do people ignore this or have they not been using NS1 in the past 6-8-ish months?

Manglebones

I also have a few projects in NS1 that I spent a lot of time working on. Will there be any way ever, to get those back, or transfer to NS2? It would be very disappointing if all my work were lost forever.

Slam-Cut

@Manglebones: did you try any of the suggestions in this thread? What are your results from trying those things?