Awaiting the Return of the Magic

74 replies [Last post]
nano

.. good , good , good

.. https://pcloud.com & ios app

.. best

Slam-Cut

I've been working for a couple of months on a project that requires some specific sounds. I tried creating some presets in Eden, but I have been missing the mark. The project also requires a convincing sax - my iOS sax app was missing the mark so I decided it was time to delve into some other DAW with which I could use some hardware (i.e. Roland Integra's sax preset).
What a flipping nightmare it has been! Getting MIDI & audio to flow through to Auria Pro on my iPad has been massively frustrating, and I still have no audio. Plan B - I tried to use my PC & Reaper. Seems like a decent DAW, but same problem. WTF! It's almost 2018 and I can't get audio into my laptop? Not wanting to quit I have ordered yet more gear to help control the audio path. I pass this on just to comment on how ready I am to get to work with NS2. If this new gear doesn't help enough, I may have to put the project off until after the release of NS2, or as it will be known in my new dating system: AN 2018. Yes that's right, Anno NS2.

Stiksi

Slam-Cut, here's a solution for you! http://www.embertone.com/instruments/sensualsax-ios.php

Not completely convincing (unless you spell it con-wincing) but it has a sex knob. A sex knob! (full disclosure, I did buy the app and it was a fun five minutes).

Slam-Cut

The YouTube demo sounds realistic enough, but if I'm not mistaken it is a tenor sax and I'm looking for an alto sax. (Wow! How snooty am I about saxes...?) I may get it anyways - I have their Jubal Flute app, which is pretty nice. I have iFretless Sax which is OK, but the responsiveness of the alto sax on my Roland Integra is hard to beat.

And, no matter the needs of a given project, I need to be able to integrate my hardware synths into my iOS workflow. It is tricky to do. I thought it would be reasonably easier on the PC, but no dice. I have my fingers crossed that the MIDI and audio paths in & out of NS2 will be easy enough to use that the creative energy isn't lost, which was my experience so far with Auria Pro and Reaper.

syrupcore

Slam-cut, what audio/midi interface(s) are you using?

nano

i have to cut the nails becose of " touch display "

:/ .. ? .. ;) .. ? .. :( .. ? .. ;)

nano

my hand = trouble with 9'7 ipad .. 469 g

it needs 7'9 ipad m4 .. 298 g ( + weight of nanostudio 2 = hm )

always in hand , becose of " specific angle " for the right hand ..

vice versa does not work .. ;)

Slam-Cut

@syrupcore: I was using iConnectMIDI4+. I got MIDI in to the laptop easy enough, but not the audio. I had hoped the audio capabilities of the iCM4+ would be enough, but on the iConnectivity forum it was recommended that I needed to use the iConnectAudio4+ for the audio path. I don't think I should have to use both devices for such a simple set up, but what the heck. Just throw more money at the problem until something works. I got a iCA4+ that was a lemon (not working at all) so I returned it to Guitar Center and I'm waiting on the shipment of a new one, because of course they don't carry them in stock. All of this makes me appreciate the ease if use of NS1 even more. At this point though, I need to use some VST synth sounds, so I'm hoping the new iCA4+ will do the trick and I can get over the learning curve with Reaper enough to pull off this project, or that I can get the VST parts out of the laptop and in to the iPad in NS2. That would be my preference of course. Waiting for NS2 is like waiting for a child to be born.

syrupcore

Weird. I thought the iCM4+ was supposed to iOS<->desktop audio routing? The problem that I recall (and it's been a while so grain of salt, etc) was that it totally took over on iOS—you couldn't use it at the same time as another USB audio device or even the headphone jack which meant that you had to monitor from the computer (and there was no way to monitor the audio at all if going iOS<->iOS sans computer). But if you're already using the computer, should be fine, no? Or maybe it's mac only with the whole aggregate audio device thing and you're on a PC?

I have the iCA4+ and like it a lot. Shame to spend more money but you'll dig it.

Slam-Cut

Yeah, I thought so too. I'm on a PC and having a similar audio problem. Using Reaper & WIN 10, with a USB keyboard plugged directly in to the laptop I can play/record VST parts no problem. When I connect the iCA4+ to the laptop I then loose audio to speakers & headphones. That makes composing a bit tricky. I think it is a cumputer thing, rather than a Reaper thing, but I'm not sure. Cound be iConfig - still trying to wrap my head around that. I keep poking & prodding, reading manuals, and poking and prodding some more. The whole thing makes me feel like such a noobie, which I guess I am on that platform. It doesn't add to the creative drive, that's for sure. Fingers crossed for NS2 sooner rather than later.

syrupcore

> When I connect the iCA4+ to the laptop I then loose audio to speakers & headphones.

Do you mean with the iCMIDI4 or with your new ICAudio4? If with the Audio version, you *should* be able to monitor from the ICAudio4 device itself via its headphone port or audio outs. With the MIDI version, yes, there's probably a setting within iConfig to disable the built-in Audio stuff. iConfig is a nightmare, no doubt.

Slam-Cut

I dropped the iCM4+ for now. I can get MIDI controller into laptop with just USB. Using the iCA4+ headphone jack I can monitor the VST audio from the tracks on the laptop (Reaper), which I could do anyway without the iCA4+ by using the laptop speakers or headphones, but no audio from the sound module (Integra-7) comes through the iCA4+ headphone jack. So far, the iCA4+ has been just as unhelpful as the iCM4+. I like the concept of these devices, but I have spent too many days trying and failing to get these hooked up. I'm at a cross road. I sent a support ticket in to iConnectivity - maybe they can help. Otherwise I really need to get back to work and perhaps give music a bit of a hiatus. I'm so frustrated that I've lost interest in the music project I've been working on since Sept and may just need to throw in the towel entirely. Maybe I'll wait for NS2 and see if that will be the magic that saves this project. Perhaps it will be a better year in 2018.

syrupcore

How is the Integra plugged in? If it's plugged into the iCA4 analog inputs, think you just need to futz with iConfig's monitor panel to hear it. Sorry, I don't remember the specific function but I think it might default to 100% computer audio instead of analog inputs.

Slam-Cut

I got some help from someone at iConnectivity with iConfig. Yes at the moment the Integra is plugged into Audio jacks 3 & 4. I had to erase all connections in iConfig and route audio 3 & 4 to audio inputs, including headphones R & L. That at least enabled me to monitor the Integra through the iCA4+ headphone jack. Waiting on reply from the company about how to get the audio in to Reaper so I can record audio, and also how to get VST sounds from Reaper to the headphone jack of iCA4+. It’s a bit crazy. I had audio coming into the iPad in Auria Pro, but no MIDI, then lost that progress. Did I say yet that I can’t wait for NS2...?