Awaiting the Return of the Magic

74 replies [Last post]
nano

ok , bluetooth evolution

Slam-Cut

Case in point: Korg iMono/Poly. A nice new shinny app. I would certainly buy a vintage one for $20-30, and although I'm trying to resist, I'll probably end up buying the app and be irritated at myself for doing so. No, I don't need yet another vintage synth emulation. I have plenty of synth apps. But if I could use it as a AUv3 in NS2 with MIDI and audio tracks... that would be exciting!

dendy

Bought iMono/Poly .. it sounds mindblowing, together with Wavestation and Oddysei one of best iOS synths.. Korg did outstanding job with emulating their old HW .. Some guy on ipad musicians group who owns priginal Mono/Poly wrote that it is predy damn close to real thing .. i believe him - i had Karp Oddysey HW and iOddysey unbelievable close to original ..

but no AUv3 support, just IAA/AB :-/ Looks Korg didn't noticed AUv3 standard till yet..

Slam-Cut

That's unfortunate. I hope they will upgrade that to AUv3. I can't seem to find any info on the various Korg apps as to whether or not they support AUv3. I assume that means "No AUv3 for you." Seems their strategy is to force consumers to use their synth apps in Gadget. That is annoying, but IF I can use Mono/Poly with MIDI & Audio Tracks then it will be a useful addition to NS2. My new standard for getting synth or effects apps will be whether or not I can use them in NS2. I have big hopes for NS2 overcoming the obstacles created by the features lacking in other apps.

dendy

it's a pity but currently it looks korg doesn't have plan to add AUv3 support to their synth line .. i asked on their officia facebook page but they even do not replied...

Slam-Cut

I'm sad to hear that. One would expect a software synth to be VST/AU compatible, and the Korg Legacy collection must be VST compatible (I don't own it nor have I double-checked this compatibility), yet Korg is showing a double standard in iOS apps. It was probably a decision in a business meeting by marketing department and executives that proposed to encourage customers to purchase Gadget so that it becomes a standard like Garageband. They are probably not iOS musicians, because then they would know that we will more readily buy all of those apps when we can play with them in any way we want to.

I have one song started with Gadget, but never finished it. I lost patience with Gadget. I am just too spoiled by the fantastic ease of use of NS. I'm sure I will get more use out of the Korg synth apps and Gadget once NS2 is out. Korg would do well to remember the spirit of making their hardware synths play well with other synths and DAWs with the MIDI implementation and not try to take us back to the pre-MIDI era. That doesn't help the iOS platform get accepted as a pro-level production tool.

That's my two cents for today. :o)
(Stepping down off of soap box)

syrupcore

I obviously don't know jack about their business model so pardon the cynical speculation but I'm guessing they think AU support would devalue Gadget. Tabletop did the same thing when AudioBus was the new hotness.

Hey, Korg... Tabletop is basically dead. Just saying.

syrupcore

I know I will not be able to resist the mono/poly but I'm bummed that it doesn't have support for the ARP TRIG IN (even though they included the top panel graphic for 'authenticity'). It's one of the best aspects of the hardware.

I'm also assuming it's MIDI port promiscuous like other Korg apps. Says it's AB3 compatible so maybe that's a way to tame it.

Still, who am I kidding? Should just close this browser and get on with giving them my money.

iammane

The funny thing though is that if you get Gadget for mac you get all Gadgets as 64bit VSTs... so I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to just configure them to be AU compatible. But I'm not a code guy so I dunno I'm sure there are good technical reasons behind it.

syrupcore

@iammane yep. That's what make me think it's a business decision, not a technical one. But, again, just cynical speculation.

iammane

@syrupcore Totally agreed. They're totally gonna wanna keep people inside Gadget. Reallllly wish I could get on with that sequencer lol..

nano

.. fun with nanobasic

rem loop lenght to bpm ( beats )
b = 0 , p = 60 , m = 0.000
@
input " ( b e a t s ) " , b
if b < 1 then goto 2
input " l o o p ( s e c o n d s ) " , m
if m = 0 then goto 3
@
s = b * p / m
@
print " Loop ( " , m , " ) Seconds "
print
print " ( " , b , " ) Beats "
print
print " Bpm ( " , s , " ) "
end

.. nanobasic appstore ;)

dendy

> Still, who am I kidding? Should just close this browser and get on with giving them my money.

words of wisdom !!!

Slam-Cut

We need to attend AA meetings.
Appstore Anonymous - the place for app addicts.

Slam-Cut

Beatmaker 3 costs $40.
I'm willing to pay at least that for NS2. Happily.

syrupcore

@nano I tried it but got

SEG FAULT: UNKNOWN VARIABLE "lenght". Please insert Recovery Disk 1 of 23.
c:\

;)

nano

@ .. bpm interactive to " syrupcore "

we do not support devices (anymore) with :
.. " insert disk " option & " length "

bpm products are strictly based on " lenght " (64bit)
please , update your devices ;)) .. length is " out "

.. http://erziman.com/en/nano-basic

and also :

http://vh1.com/news/50778/is-jay-z-a-time-traveling-vampire/

tom_tm

"lenght"

I've often seen 'length' this spelt this way, like ect instead of etc (unless of course you're referring to 'ElectroConvulsive therapy', which of course is something entirely different...)

Maybe too many musicians/programmers suffer from dyslexia? ;-)

tom_tm

And Whis1972 is a spambot. :)

dendy

i'm pretty sure that also nano is spambot ... :-)) at least based on last few posts..

nano

> dendy .. no spambot , psybot ;)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=O0f69yT9hoA

ecstasy (16:00)

syrupcore
Slam-Cut

Is a psybot a spambot controlled by Psy?
(Psy is obviously a North Korean agent using mind control to weaken the masses before Dr Evil launches his attack on the world.)

nano

hey you , keep secrets .. ;)

all the bots can neither psy-confirm nor psy-deny .. anything

Slam-Cut

Ha ha!! Nano must be Psy's Mini Me
Mystery solved.

nano

.. ok , but it's not all about ..

primary target : to find the Big Psy ( deadline : ns2 release date )

me bet 50 nanocents , the Big Psy is :

" S Y r u P c o r e "

Slam-Cut

The plot thickens...

nano

.. quiet before the storm

blipinteractive is cookin' something ...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nPGY2T9r1Ok

nano

.. ou yea ..

something like this :

https://wooji-juice.com/products/ferrite/

should be " inside " of nanostudio 3 .. beautiful audio tracks @

Slam-Cut

Mmm.... no. Ferrite Recording Studio is audio only. Editing audio tracks does not sound fun.