32 Bit Apps in iOS 11

37 replies [Last post]
Slam-Cut

So if I upgrade to iOS 11 an unknown amount of 32 bit apps including NS will disappear.
All new apps will require iOS 11 to operate.
My iPad Air is still on iOS 8 to preserve to nice workflow between AB & NS.
There are a lot of new iPad apps I've postponed getting as they require iOS 9 or 10. I was going to wait at least until the arrival of NS2, but if I do that then I loose 32 bit apps, like NS, since NS2 will be an iOS 11 app.

The biggest unknown for me is wether or not Apple will require us to upgrade to iOS 11. They pushed hard on recent iOS updates, but if I am not forced to upgrade then theoretically I could keep my iPhone 6 at iOS 10 and upgrade the iPad Air to iOS 11. That way I could use NS & old 32 bit apps on the iPhone and NS2 and new apps on the iPad.

Does anyone know of a list of 32 bit music production/synth apps? Does Apple have a '32 bit list' it provides developers? Is there any easy way that we can find this info out? I'd hate to have to check each app one at a time in the App Store, but that may be the only way. There was a date after which Apple required all updates and new apps to be 64 bit. What was that date? I'll need to know that in order to check which apps are updated to 64 bit.

tom_tm

All I know is that iOS 11 won't work on this iPad 4. So I intend to hold on to it for NS as well as zillions of other apps that still run fine. Apple won't allow any of these to be updated on this iPad. I'm happy with that.

syrupcore

If you have 10.3 on another device, and they have the same apps, you can go to Settings>General>Applications and it will show you a list of apps that need to be upgrade.

Slam-Cut

I updated my iPhone to 10.3. Now I can see them. Thanks for that tip.
Looks like I have quite a lot of apps that will not be working in iOS 11, including:
Sunrizer
NLogSynth
MorphWiz
gruvtron
Modular Synthesizer
Alchemy
Nanostudio

I am confident in the release of NS2, so the last one isn't too painful, but I fear the others may be abandoned. OK, I know Alchemy is abandoned, but what about Sunrizer? That's a great little synth app. Has the developer given up on it? Anyone heard any rumors of an update to 64 bit?

tom_tm

iPad mini mk1's won't run iOS 11. Nor will this iPad 4. Worth bearing in mind as these will be very cheap to buy soon. And of course Apple will back off in the nagware department.

Harisonzamperla

Sunrizer (and xs) is supposedly going to be updated to 64bit soon

Slam-Cut

I hope that is true! Is that rumor from the developer?

dendy

Not only that .. also developer on his site confirmed that immediately after he finish new synth, he will add AUv3 support to Sunrizer.. so Sunrizer is definitely not abandonware, guy is just hard working currently on new synth ..

Slam-Cut

I am really glad to hear that!

Slam-Cut

Yes! I confirmed it for myself on the developers forum: Sunrizer is to be updated with AU functionality. NS2 with Sunrizer AU is going to be fantastic!

RokJok

So will NanoStudio 1 be updated to work on IOS 11 at least until we can buy NS2? It's my primary songwriting tool and has been for years and years.

kitejan

@RokJok: Sadly... no. Matt (the developer) has been clear all along - NS1 is 32bit only and will not be updated to 64bit :-( The best advice is if NS1 is important is simply not to update to iOS11 and consider getting an older ipad (i.e. one that wont be supported on iOS11) just to run NS1. All the development is for NS2 now - which promises to be good.

I am *hoping* that *maybe* when the NS2 dust has settled we get a AU version of Eden "as is" and maybe AU versions of the NS 1 FX we all know and love. Because that way we can continue to access the old sounds and would have a way to bring our NS1 projects across to NS2......

I feel the pain - personally I will hold off iOS11 for as long as I can just to keep beloved NS1.

Slam-Cut

+ 1 for avoiding iOS 11
NS2 will run on iOS 9 & 10

nano

> +2 .. for avoiding .. " evolution "

it is not " only " .. nanostudio

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZbBS77ZoyqyoSLoOCXR16tx6CxG30LS...

dendy

i don't see any reason to ipdate to iOS11... all my apps will stay working perfectly in iOS10, some will not work in iOS11... i'm staying with iOS10 at least for next few months ...

Slam-Cut

Updated Sunrizer XS today. That will now work on iOS 11.

Devvy

Sunrizer XS works now again on my iPhone SE and iPad air2 (still on ios 10.3.3 though)

Harisonzamperla

I think the transition away from nanostudio will be a lot like breaking up with a lover. At least until nanostudio 2. Maybe i need a rebound synth since I have to wait for iPhone version :-p

Blip Interactive

I see Apple have removed nearly all app support from the new iTunes. Except, perversely, iTunes file sharing - the crappest file sharing in the history of all file sharings. OK iTunes was bloated, but 'select all' + delete is the way to solve it?

It's unclear to me how backing up and restoring new devices from a backup is now meant to be performed. I'm sure it'll become all too clear in future.

shimmy

I refuse to use iCloud to backup and restore. Last time I tried that, it was painfully slow.

Slam-Cut

The main reason I restored from backup (computer, not icloud) was to preseve all NS files.
There will be no need to do that with a transition to iOS 11. Moving forward with NS2 will require good back up habits with NanoSync2. ...Is that the name of it?

Blip Interactive

NS2 has a WebDAV server. You can use Windows Explorer or OSX Finder to do all the things you could do with NanoSync, and more.

Slam-Cut

OH. I Googled WebDAV and I think I got the gist of it.
So what will the new project file extension be? I'm guessing .nsp will be replaced?

dendy

you can connect to WebDAV server even internally from other app, for example iFiles supports, besides a tons of clients for dropbox, ftp,iDrive, Soundcloud, whatever file sharing you imagine aso WebDAV connection...

Blip Interactive

The WebDAV server inside NS2 is similar to a web server or FTP server in many ways. 'Clients' can connect to it and ask it for file/folder listings. They can then rename, move, copy or download those files/folders, or upload new ones.

With a web server, the 'client' is a web browser such as Chrome or Safari. With an FTP server, the client is something like Filezilla or whatever your weapon of choice is. With WebDAV however, native OS file managers (Explorer in Windows, Finder on MacOS) can be clients. This means you don't have to install anything to fully manage NS2 files from your computer. So a typical session involves:

- Enable WebDAV server in NS2 (checkbox in settings). NS2 will tell you your device's IP address.
- Open an Explorer or Finder window on your computer
- Type the IP address (eg. \\Matts-iPhone) into its address bar (on MacOS you use 'Connect to server ...')
- Hey presto, all the app's files appear just like a drive on the network

There are free 3rd party WebDAV clients for Windows or MacOS which are faster than the native ones (I'd recommend Cyberduck).

And as Dendy says, you can also get WebDAV clients for iOS which can act as a 'gateway' between NS2 and many other file sharing systems.

> So what will the new project file extension be? I'm guessing .nsp will be replaced?

Exported projects in NS2 are called 'archived projects' (or just archives) and have an .nsa extension. It's good to be discussing the important things :)

shimmy

So, if I have a project named Snowden, it would like= Snowden.nsa
Ha, love it.

Blip Interactive

Yes but light a fire first because you'll probably get a SWAT team abseiling down your chimney.

dendy

maybe it can be renamed from "NanoStudio Archive" to something more generall, like "Compactified Interchangeable Archive" ...

ehm ..

.cia

Slam-Cut

That sounds really great for transferring files. The .nsa file extension will help ensure that at least the NSA listens to our music. That should help build up the fan base for our music among the Feds. :o/

nano

.. in case you missed it .. ;)

north :

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZTUn77ZM3g617iHkPJhQtyAfCyIfHTi...

&

south :

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZij977ZF3MKGobsTyB11165zBcKMpm3...

&

south is reserved by " syrupcore " for a long time .. ;)

Blip Interactive

:-)