32 Bit Apps in iOS 11

8 replies [Last post]
Slam-Cut

So if I upgrade to iOS 11 an unknown amount of 32 bit apps including NS will disappear.
All new apps will require iOS 11 to operate.
My iPad Air is still on iOS 8 to preserve to nice workflow between AB & NS.
There are a lot of new iPad apps I've postponed getting as they require iOS 9 or 10. I was going to wait at least until the arrival of NS2, but if I do that then I loose 32 bit apps, like NS, since NS2 will be an iOS 11 app.

The biggest unknown for me is wether or not Apple will require us to upgrade to iOS 11. They pushed hard on recent iOS updates, but if I am not forced to upgrade then theoretically I could keep my iPhone 6 at iOS 10 and upgrade the iPad Air to iOS 11. That way I could use NS & old 32 bit apps on the iPhone and NS2 and new apps on the iPad.

Does anyone know of a list of 32 bit music production/synth apps? Does Apple have a '32 bit list' it provides developers? Is there any easy way that we can find this info out? I'd hate to have to check each app one at a time in the App Store, but that may be the only way. There was a date after which Apple required all updates and new apps to be 64 bit. What was that date? I'll need to know that in order to check which apps are updated to 64 bit.

tom_tm

All I know is that iOS 11 won't work on this iPad 4. So I intend to hold on to it for NS as well as zillions of other apps that still run fine. Apple won't allow any of these to be updated on this iPad. I'm happy with that.

syrupcore

If you have 10.3 on another device, and they have the same apps, you can go to Settings>General>Applications and it will show you a list of apps that need to be upgrade.

Slam-Cut

I updated my iPhone to 10.3. Now I can see them. Thanks for that tip.
Looks like I have quite a lot of apps that will not be working in iOS 11, including:
Sunrizer
NLogSynth
MorphWiz
gruvtron
Modular Synthesizer
Alchemy
Nanostudio

I am confident in the release of NS2, so the last one isn't too painful, but I fear the others may be abandoned. OK, I know Alchemy is abandoned, but what about Sunrizer? That's a great little synth app. Has the developer given up on it? Anyone heard any rumors of an update to 64 bit?

tom_tm

iPad mini mk1's won't run iOS 11. Nor will this iPad 4. Worth bearing in mind as these will be very cheap to buy soon. And of course Apple will back off in the nagware department.

Harisonzamperla

Sunrizer (and xs) is supposedly going to be updated to 64bit soon

Slam-Cut

I hope that is true! Is that rumor from the developer?

dendy

Not only that .. also developer on his site confirmed that immediately after he finish new synth, he will add AUv3 support to Sunrizer.. so Sunrizer is definitely not abandonware, guy is just hard working currently on new synth ..

Slam-Cut

I am really glad to hear that!