NS2 - another example track

84 replies [Last post]
Blip Interactive

... and this one's actually my own. Ended up with a sort of Bukem vibe, guess that's just my age ....

The drums are sequenced (ie. not sample loops) and utilize a few of the factory drum samples which will come with the app. In this case they're acoustic drums which have been processed fairly heavily within the app's sample trigger instrument.

All the other instruments uses synthesis rather than samples.

NanoStudio 2 has a larger and higher quality range of effects than its predecessor, and I've found it a lot easier to surgically EQ and control dynamics at the mixing stage. You should also be able to hear the new reverb and look-ahead limiter at work in this track.

Despite all this I'm still not happy with the EQ on the drums. Looking forward to everyone else's better efforts when the app's released!

Blip Interactive

... wow this is two tracks in as many hours, things are really hotting up.

Another NanoStudio 2 demo from a friend of mine. Here are his sleeve notes:

" ... another small demo, this time little bit harder, more dark stuff.. some kind of hardstep, or neurofunk or how it is called (have just read overview of current dnb subgenres).

Again no samples just pure synth 16+ tracks and a hell lot of FX (and still just 40% of CPU on iPhone 6 !!!)"

shimmy

Sounds so good !!!
Getting excited with all these demos you are uploading !!!

syrupcore

Again no samples just pure synth 16+ tracks and a hell lot of FX (and still just 40% of CPU on iPhone 6 !!!)"

BOOM!

Jim Hanks

E Y E S. W I D E. O P E N.
J A W. O N. F L O O R.

Stiksi

40% CPU on a 3 yo phone. That's going to light a fire under some competing asses!

tom_tm

I'm buying an iPhone 7+ tomorrow. For the camera mainly. And to run NS1!

Nice demos, but I want to hear something that really pushes the limits of what NS2 does. So far the material I've heard is a little 'too safe' for my ears.

Slam-Cut

Nice tracks! That's a really warm bass on Serpentine and some cool edgy sounds on Bite Me.

tom_tom: why do I feel that something 'unsafe' for your ears would would destroy our ears? :o)

dendy

tom_tm: what type of music is unsafe for you ears ? :-)

Slam-Cut

I was unsure of what 'unsafe' means, but I am a bit clearer after last night when I had my mind totally blown away. After 36 years of having JMJ as my favorite artist I finally got to see him live for the LA stop of the Electronica Tour. I know his music really well but he put on an amazing show that was so high energy that it was like a 100% club bangin' version of every track that had the entire audience on their feet. The light show was spectacular. I feel so lame piddling away on Nanostudio this morning. There are already some clips up on YouTube, but they don't catch the raw power of course. The sub-bass he used to start the show vibrated theough the audience like a wave through water. When I recover a bit from this experience I will have a re-newed purpose in pushing Nanostudio 2 to the point of 'unsafe'. Please Matt, bolt that thing together with some really strong code so my iPad doesn't blow up!

PS: JMJ played his iPad on one track. He used Animoog instead of Nanostudio, but it was still cool to see an iPad used live by such a veteran of electromic music, and I think it would be cool one day to see famous artists using Nanostudio 2 on stage. Should be a good thread topic.

popp1234

What's up, Jim? How you been, man?

Jim Hanks

Me? Been doing pretty good. You?

Jeppan74

Pretty great kick (no pun intended :)) in those drums!! And a lovely spacious sound!!!
EDIT: Listening to the second tune: Holy shit!!! :O
And it´s made by a friend you say... That means that someone is beta-testing ;)

tom_tm

'Unsafe'? Well you know me? I won the Nanostudio wall of sound challenge a couple of year back, and I like chaining lots of fuzz and echo FX together- you know making a general racket that tends to piss the local neighbourhood off... ;-)

Stiksi

"making a general racket that tends to piss the local neighbourhood off..."

Like Cher or something..? I had that neighbour around 1999. It was hell and I still don't believe.

But I seriously do think Tom should be a beta tester just so he gets to push the envelope.

tom_tm

Ha! 8-)

Slam-Cut

Hilarious! :o)))

Nu2moro

And it´s made by a friend you say... That means that someone is beta-testing ;)

On an iPhone 6!!!

Blip Interactive

I only have imaginary friends these days, I find they're the only ones I can keep for any length of time. My current one's called Dave and he said it uses less than 1% CPU on his iPhone 14, but I'm beginning to suspect he exaggerates to get attention.

I will be inviting you loyal forum regulars into a beta test group when the time's right. I'm keen on the beta test being about user experience, not just a bug finding exercise (although I'm sure bugs will be found!). The beta test will be a chance to introduce the app to some fresh pairs of eyes (and maybe even some fresh brains!), but I'll only get one chance because that 'freshness' doesn't last. Therefore I want to feel that it's close to my best shot before I put it out there, and I don't feel that's the case quite yet.

In terms of big things remaining, the sequencer's fairly complete but I'd estimate I've only finished about 30% of its UI. I also want to do a second iteration on the mixer UI and some areas of the instruments before it gets to a wider audience. I haven't done anything on the sample editor yet, but this is fairly 'stand alone' and so could theoretically be introduced after the first beta release.

kitejan

Needless to say I will only be too happy to help with beta testing when the time comes :-)

TwistedGenetics

Same here :)

Slam-Cut

Smart thinking Matt. I support that rationale entirely.

Oh, and yeah, sign me up. Waiting on NS2 to get an iPad Pro.... Keeping old iPad on iOS 10.3 to perserve a lot of 32 bit apps. Will Dave be leading the Beta test group?

tom_tm

Alpha-Beta-Tango-Barbecue! 8-)

Freth

I've been using NS since iPad 2 came out. The best thing about NS is it is still the most accessible music app available for iOS. It lets your ideas flow and has brought things out of me I never knew were possible. Such a great app.

I have been waiting patiently for NS2 for many years; lurking on the forums. I just recently upgraded to an iPad Pro 2 in preparation for the eventual NS2 release. I am so looking forward to it. The samples you've posted sound great.

Thank you for staying the course.

pixelblip

I wonder how NS2 will run on my a7 iPad mini 3........it's getting longer in the tooth but I have to get another year out of it.

It has to be said you got it right from the first bat. The interface is the best thought out of any sequencer I've used. So logical.

I wonder what kind of look NS2 will have. Beatmaker 3 looks like Fruity Loops Mobile 3 to me.....the colours do anyway. Will Nanostudio 2 be blue and orange with the same logo?
I am imagining grey and silver for v2 in my head.......the blue logo going grey!

The logo is very distinctive. Another thing you got right! :D

Slam-Cut

The only thing that sorta bugged me in the NS color palate was the beat/measure counter turning red during record. The red is harder to see clearly than the blue, and during recording is when you really need to quickly see where you're at. I also like the idea of changing the colors/skins for times when I'm uninspired/bored. I don't expect that feature in NS2, and don't need it, but it would be cool.

Blip Interactive

> I wonder how NS2 will run on my a7 iPad mini 3

As a rough guide, I've got an NS2 project set up this like:

- 4 sample pad tracks, each playing around 8 samples simultaneously
- 8 synth tracks using a range of typical patches, all set to 8 note polyphony and playing at the same time
- An EQ, compressor and reverb insert on each track

So that's 12 instruments @ 8 notes each = 96 voices and 36 effects, 12 of which are reverbs.

I can run this without issues an iPhone 5 (32 bit A6 @ 1.3GHz) but I do have to put the buffer latency up to 11ms.

On an iPad Air 2 (64 bit A8X @ 1.5GHz) I get around 37% CPU with the same buffer latency or 50% CPU with a 2.9ms latency.

Bear in mind that the quality of the instruments/FX is a step up from NS1.

nano

.. please , replace ( email file ) with ( open in ) ..

Blip Interactive

> .. please , replace ( email file ) with ( open in ) ..

Already done my friend :)

Slam-Cut

Sounds like NS2 will be a very efficient app. That's the Blip Interactive standard right there.

syrupcore

> (...amazing amazing amazing...) but I do have to put the buffer latency up to 11ms.

If I was drinking coffee, this woulda shot it out my nose. "But I do have to..." instead of "and only have to...!". Those numbers are incredible. Have we just witnessed the biggest Borstel, or indeed iOS developer, humble brag ever? Because, with those sorts of numbers, fair enough!