Is it 64 bit?

9 replies [Last post]
BlasteFlame

Hello, I've just read some articles that apple will stop support for 32bit apps in the near future, so I was wondering if Nano Studio is 64bit or will get an update to 64 bit so it will be usable in the future?

Jim Hanks

It isn't now. That's all I can say for certain

Slam-Cut

Rather than an update, Nanostudio is being completely re-written from the gound up to be a new 64-bit app. It should be available sometime in 2017.

The following is just conjecture:
The future of 32 bit apps is an interesting question. Lack of support will likely not mean that suddenly one day all 32 bit apps stop working, but that they are no longer able to be downloaded from the app store. If when you get a new iPhone you set it up from a previous back up, the 32 bit apps should still be on your new iPhone. If you set up a new iPhone from scratch, you won't be able to download the 32 bit apps from the app store.

Nanostudio is 32 bit and runs in 64 bit iOS 10 just fine, so I don't see any reason that 32 bit apps can't run in the near future, but doubtless one day Apple will find a reason to meddle with things and break 32 bit compatibility in a future iOS. They have gotten really obnoxious about pushing us to update iOS 10. I didn't notice that before 10. I would be very careful about updating iOS so as to avoid getting caught by Apple's changes to iOS, in case they make an iOS change that won't allow 32 bit apps altogether. Once NS2 comes out, we should be OK with new iOS, but I have kept old iPhones with old iOS just so I have a back-up of 32-bit apps like NS and Alchemy, but those pieces of hardware will not last forever. Soft synths & DAWs are temporary - hardware can last a lifetime if taken care of properly.

instinctive

iOS appearently has already started showing a warning dialog each time you launch a 32-bit app on a 64-bit device ("This app may slow down your device, the developer needs to update it"). To be honest I can understand them, as supporting 32-bit apps is a large burden on the OS, all the libraries etc. need to be shipped in two versions, so... yes, let's get rid of that legacy stuff.

(I know, this forum has lots of people with smartphones carved out of stone, but hey, I'm more on the modern side and all for progress ;))

Stiksi

They changed the message to "This app will not work with future versions of iOS…" for 10.3 Beta so best guess, iOS 11 will not support 32 bit in any form.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/31/32-bit-apps-wont-work-on-future-ios...

dendy

Loooks iOS10 is last iOS version for me .. maybe i should buy some new iPAd now, until they are still available with iOS10 preinstalled ..

Slam-Cut

Disconcerting. As is this sentence from the article:
"By October, it was reported some 50,000 apps had already been removed."
The article didn't say if the apps were removed from devices or just removed off of the app store. I was assuming the later.
I realize music production apps are small potatoes on the app store, but I shudder to think how many games will disappear. Sounds like a customer service nightmare.

My advice is not to get iOS 11 until after NS2. Even then there is an issue of preserving our past work on NS1. Some will be content with just a .wav file, but if NS1 disappears, then there is no easy way to go back and finish up or re-work projects. Yeah you can spit out stems and MIDI files, but sometimes a track falls apart without specific presets. On the other hand maybe it'll be a glass half full and it will be an opportunity to re-synthestrate those old tracks. Everyone should think about it though and have a plan before getting caught unprepared.

syrupcore

> My advice is not to get iOS 11 until after NS2. Even then there is an issue of preserving our past work on NS1. Some will be content with just a .wav file, but if NS1 disappears, then there is no easy way to go back and finish up or re-work projects.

Indeed. This is a bummer. Was looking forward to sequencing NS1 from NS2! Hopefully the desktop app will continue to work for a while. Definitely a good reminder to get our collective NSP on.

Stiksi

I'm suddenly grateful for my ageing iPad 3, which won't go past iOS 9. I've learned everything I know about synthesis from Eden. I got my first physical synth on friday (microbrute) and being able to play it instantly out of the box and understanding every knob and function thoroughly is something that I shouldn't take for granted. Yes it's basic stuff, but it took a long time to really understand.

I hope Eden will live on in some form or another because it has definitely been the perfect mixture of easy accessibility and depth. If NS2 has everything but the kitchen sink, I hope it will also have something that is as rewarding as learning the Eden.

But yeah, thank you Blip.

Slam-Cut

As syrupcore recommends, I've been backing up .nsp files. I'm cleaning out my iPhone and iPad of old unfinished projects and will be focusing on finishing those up or trashing them. When NS2 is released I'll want to focus on that and not NS1 projects.

I hope to have working iDevices with NS1 for quite some time, and of course there is the desktop version. It may be useless to speculate now, but I'm willing to bet there will be a way to convert projects to NS2, even if just manually saving stems and creating a new version of a project in NS2. Not sure how the overlap period will look, or how much I will use both apps (although I like the idea of that), but I like having old iDevices to fall back on. Just in case.