Intua BM 3 announced, thoughts?

36 replies [Last post]
Stiksi

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/01/31/intua-announces-beatmaker-3...

Multilayer pads sounds good to me! This time they seem to be quicker out of the gate… but I wonder if they have fixed the stereo delay yet? Based on past experiences with Intua's apps, I'm not getting it until it's 90% off, but I'm sure it'll sell well.

Jim Hanks

A lot of toys in that box. Not sure I want to learn yet another DAW though when I'm still learning Cubasis and NS2 is just around the corner #sarc #wishfulthinking

Slam-Cut

I agree with Jim about not wanting to learn another DAW. I have too many unused apps as it is. Maybe once NS2 provides a useful workflow for getting sounds out of other apps and in to completed projects, then maybe I'd get extra apps if they had some good sounds that I liked.
That's my two pence.
"Out!"
[drops mic and walks off his imaginary stage]

Stiksi

[picks up mic and assesses the extent of the water damage] "Dang, that's cold."

Slam-Cut

HA! Good catch Stiksi! I've never dripped a mic before, nor dropped one. Could be quite a plumbing disaster.

dendy

looks they will be even more close oriented to "akai-mpc-sampling" paradigm than BM1/2 , pads everywhere you look :-) .. + again no build in synth, just sampling, so synthesis will be clearly NS2 big advantage :-)

i'm quite interested if they fix weird LFO>FILTER and ENV>FILTER modulation, where, if active, CUTOFF stops doing anything :-))) I reported this more times and they even didn't admint this is major bug :-))) Also intereseted if they finally learned after those years how stereo delay should be implemeted correctly :-D

also saw somewhere info by some Intua guy that at least first release will be iPad-only, so no phones ..

Harisonzamperla

A fancy sampler and good midi sequencer is Cool but it doesn't really help me much. It's hard to find a solid stable iPhone (not ipad) synth with a good sequencer. Recently got gadget and caustic 3. Theyre both amazing in ways but gadget had a really awkward interface that feels like it was ported and not made for ios. Caustic is rad and has tons of customizing but also the synths seem very old school and not very modern. I'm hoping nanostudio 2 can save my musical life as far as the ios goes.

Slam-Cut

"I'm hoping nanostudio 2 can save my musical life as far as the ios goes."

I think that many of us share that sentiment.

Slam-Cut

I saw a video review of BM3 and I am glad that I see no reason for me to waste time on it. It looks like a good app for clip/scene-based beat makers, but I think it will be quite clumsy for making melodic music with the linear-based workflow that works best for me.

shimmy

The Scene Mode looks ineresting.

Micgees

The sampler engine is deep on bm2, very important to research it...as it is practically a synth...subtractive stuff would be super easy on it. It also fully integrates Auv3 and iaa so a great deal of synths will plug right in...especially the new Kaspar synth next thursday and also the Zeeon synth coming real soon.

Clip/scene mode is an additional Seq mode in bm3, linear sequencing is totally there as well. In fact you have pattern, clip/scene, and song mode. With built in scales and chords, 64 pad mode, keys mode...melodic stuff is actually quite a breeze in beatmaker3!

For $20 initial release price, this app is mindblowing, as it really competes against the 1200.00 and 2200.00 Akai mpc live and x.

I have always liked both nanostudio and beatmaker...as they are really two sides of a coin...nanostudio is a solid synth daw with great sequencing, and basic sampling...and bm3 is a solid sampler with great sequencing and the ability to load synths or program the sampler as a synth.

Apples...oranges
Both are good for you ;)

Slam-Cut

I wasn't a fan of the original BM, although it was way ahead of its time, and I believe that BM3 will be good for a lot of people, but I find that I absolutely must restrict myself from over indulgence of apps. I have too many apps that I never use. That's OK for a bunch of synths that might have different sounds that will prove refreshingly useful on future projects, but when it comes to creating music I find that it is super important to focus on the DAW(s) that are most efficient for me.

BM3 doesn't offer anything on the synth front, and I don't need much in terms of a sampler (NS is fine and NS2 will probably improve on that substantially), so the only thing that I can compare between these Apples and Oranges is the Sequencing. I find Loop/Clip based sequencing good for improvising but not for composing and actually completing a piece of music. That is just how I work and I realize that there may be a lot of people who didn't have to learn to compose on staff paper who will think I'm a bit crazy, and that's OK. I didn't see much of a linear sequencer in the pre-release demo that I saw, but I see on their website that BM3 does have a linear sequencer. I can't imagine that it is so much better than NS to warrant the learning curve, and it doesn't look better than Auria Pro which I already have. I'll wait for NS2.

The price for BM3 may in fact be fair for those people that get on with that style of music creation (it is primarily loop oriented) - I have no issues there, just that for my 2 cents and to those who are regular users of NS, I don't think BM3 offers anything worth spending the learning curve time on. To each his own, and I do not slam anyone for using it, but I do think that we all must really think about how much time we waste on apps, and focus on getting better at using the tools that are really effective for us rather than collecting ALL of the tools. Other than that I wish Intua and all of its apps well. I commend people like Micgees for being able to use both linear and loop-based sequencing - that must be advantageous. Had I tons of spare time, I would try to get more comfortable with loop-based sequencing, but as is the theme of mobile music I am creating with short amounts of time spread out over weeks and months.

tom_tm

A bit underwhelmed I have to admit. The interface looks very polished and I like the way that in the piano roll editor for the drums, the line of rhythm hits highlights each time a note/pad is played. But apart from that, it all looks a bit lacking in that something special- or at least nothing that Cubasis does already.

Slam-Cut

I should have added that I do think I'm a bit spoiled by the ease of use of NS. Those with experience in Ableton and other DAWs on desktop will no doubt be thrilled with BM3.

TwistedGenetics

I brought this today and really liked it until I ran out of tracks at 8.... WTF????

I know I can treat the tracks like groups and then use different samples on the pads but it's messy and I like to see all the different tracks laid out.

Bring on Nanostudio 2, I'm hoping this will answer all my needs otherwise I'm giving up on iPad music creation and go back to sitting at my laptop!!!

Blip Interactive

I think I must have institutionalized you all! Maybe you're interpreting NanoStudio's 'ease of use' as comfortable and familiar, like your favourite pair of dog-eaten slippers you can't bear to throw away :)

During development of NS2 I experimented with different ideas for the sequencer but more or less came full circle. The net result is that NS2 has the same linear tracks/parts you're familiar with from NS1. What I've tried to do instead is relax certain restrictions, such as no limit on the number of tracks, effects, parts or events (up to your device's CPU/RAM naturally). NS1 also had the restriction that only one part would play if there were overlapping parts on the track but NS2 will play overlapping parts, automatically sorting them into lanes on the UI.

Tracks in NS2 will be familiar when used in their simplest form, but NS2 also lets you go beyond a linear list by allowing you to drag and drop tracks into a hierarchy and add audio or MIDI send/returns so you can form groups, buses, custom chains etc. It latency compensates the audio graph so that any effects, instruments or Audio Units which introduce latency will all stay in time relative to each other.

Being limited by CPU usage is another (often overlooked) restriction. NS2 is super-optimised so you can run 10's of synths and over 100 effect instances on newer hardware. This has taken a fair amount of development time but I feel it's worth it (and perversely, I always enjoy optimization work).

So the bottom line is that I'm mostly trying to build upon what's there but provide 'the next level' if you want to go deeper, with heavy consideration towards CPU efficiency. As always, the main challenge is trying to get the UI/learning curve right so that the more advanced stuff doesn't get in the way of the day-to-day stuff. I'm not sure I'm quite there yet with that but fingers crossed.

TwistedGenetics

I'm liking the sound of custom chains :) will there be a chance to frequency split?

I really love NS 1, the only things that got in my way was the ability to sample other apps when that broke, and the restriction on tracks ( I know this was due to the technology of the time )

Coming from a drum and bass background I pre make a lot of my sounds with lots of processing in my main Daw so I have lots of samples stored on Dropbox ready to drop straight into tracks. Eden is great at making sounds even dirtier ( with the aid of the wavshaper ) but I always wished I could chop to pads / keys as my pre made samples were often a few bars of me messing with filters etc.

nano

.. hm ? .. ;)

shimmy

Will NS2 let me take 2 Apple Pencils and bang them on the screen like I'm playing the drums ?

Blip Interactive

> will there be a chance to frequency split?

There's always one :) I wanted to get multiband processing in for the first version but I also wanted it to be linear phase with a low processing overhead. So right now I've decided to reserve it for a future version so I can do the job properly. At a stretch, it would be possible to send to two tracks and put complementary filters on each, but changing the crossover frequency would be a bit 'manual'. NS2 does support Audio Units, so there would also be a solution there if there are some good multi-band processing AUs around.

> Will NS2 let me take 2 Apple Pencils and bang them on the screen like I'm playing the drums ?

Not only that but it will also make you look 10 years younger and 23% more attractive whilst doing so. Unless you're less than 20 years old - then it will automatically make you look 10 years older.

nano

.. nanostudio je najlepsie :)
.. to je jak gitara ci co ... to je navzdy
@
.. youtube.com/watch?v=xsKAs-k-HqU
@

TwistedGenetics

Wow cool, to be honest just a 2 band would be good just to separate a sub from my basses for mixing purposes. I currently double up pads on TRG and send out to different busses. Most of the multiband stuff is all ready done

I could do with 20 years younger and 23% more attractive... will this be an in app purchase :)

spooky zoo

"During development of NS2 I experimented with different ideas for the sequencer but more or less came full circle."

Very happy to hear this.

Had me grinning!

Viva NanoStudio2(017)!

tom_tm

"NS2 is super-optimised so you can run 10's of synths and over 100 effect instances on newer hardware. This has taken a fair amount of development time but I feel it's worth it (and perversely, I always enjoy optimization work)."

---PLACE 'DROOLING' PIC HERE!---

tom_tm

"I could do with 20 years younger and 23% more attractive..."

No, you have just been reborn... We're all old farts here. Or at least I am. :-/ ;-)

Jim Hanks

Well that post from Blip should keep everybody from jumping ship to BM3. :-)
Looking forward to 'the next level'!

Also *insert [what Slam-cut said] button here*
I've no intention of trying to learn another new DAW at this point.

Slam-Cut

Thanks Matt! I'm loving the sound of the "next level sequencing".

I tried BM initially and its lack of 'ease of use' left me desperately wanting something better.
With NS I got a healthy dose of 'ease of use' that fostered completeing compositions rather than just tinkering in apps, and now NS is certainly "comfortable and familiar". Those two aspects together are an addictive combination, and I'm confident that with the new features of NS2, I'll be committed to the Blip Interactive Institution for life.

tom_tm

*insert [what Slam-cut said] button here*

Same!

Nu2moro

Happy days! :-)
What sort of timescale after the iPad release will it be universal?

shimmy

"Not only that but it will also make you look 10 years younger and 23% more attractive whilst doing so."
.... S### , my face is not compatible because it's 32-bit. :-(

dendy

> NS2 does support Audio Units, so there would also be a solution there if there are some good multi-band processing AUs around.

yesh, for example Klevgränd pressIt ... they have also multiband distortion ...