On The Slicing Of Phones

8 replies [Last post]
syrupcore

Am I late for the NS birthday contest? I was just backing up NS files and found my unfinished entry. The beginning should probably be chopped off but I'm calling it finished. All sounds in this one, including drums, were made from the "Mobile Phones" sample. :)

Will upload the NSP soon. A lot (most?) of the sounds come from using the XY pads adjust the sample start and loop length to get a sliver of the original sample to 'oscillate'.

Viva La Eden!

syrupcore
Slam-Cut

Uhh... wow. Your sample mangling synthesis kung-fu is strong! Not even sure I know how to begin to try that. I can't hear any of the sample in your presets. Impressive achievement.
No extra points for being so late however.

syrupcore

@slam-cut. Thank you.

It's pretty easy actually. Grab any sample and map one of the XY pads to sample start and loop length (or maybe it's sample length). Hold a note and drag your finger around until something sounds like a decent basic oscillator. Something very very short, generally. Then, tune it to C with the OSC tuning knobs (or point the aux env at OSC pitch and set it with the sustain knob). This part can be a pain. Once that's done, Bob's yer uncle.

Stiksi

Hahaha, you're right on schedule! Thanks, this is the perfect thing to brighten up a Monday :D

Stunning work, love the ending!

TwistedGenetics

Thats a cool trick i never thought off mapping xy to sample start ;~)

syrupcore

Stiski, I just listened to Attack Decay. How is it possible that we both made essentially the same outro? I just checked early versions of mine (actually _started_ my entry on time!) and it has it in there before I could have heard yours. I just wanted to get the full sample in there somewhere and couldn't think of a better way. Did you hack my phone?! Are we cosmic twins? Do you feel a twitch in your left arm right now?

Any chance you could put NSP back up? I never grabbed it and after having my face melted again, I'd love check it out.

Stiksi

Hah, I just put the outro in there because you loved that sample so much, so maybe we just both like messing with sample start :D I used my custom sample-mangler Eden patch that has pitch, sample start, filter and distortion mapped to XYs. Best thing I ever did in NS. I'll see if I can find the NSP, though I may have deleted it…

I didn't feel a twitch in my left arm, but I do feel a droop in my eyelids, maybe that's it?

Harisonzamperla

Soo cool. Thanks for nsp I've been checking out how you did each instrument. I always forget about using quick decay/no sustain for creating synthesized kick drums.