Merry Christmas 2016!

16 replies [Last post]
kitejan

Wherever you are I wish you a very Merry Christmas!

And here is my electronic take on the old 16th Century Gaudete carol - called, surprisingly, "Gaudete Electronique #1". There might be other (better) versions in the future - this was put together *very* quickly in my lunch time on the 22nd and worked on at various points on the 23rd - including the visuals (a walk around my local park). There would have been more videos of peoples outside Christmas decorations - but it was raining. A lot. And I didn't feel like getting wet. Again. It rains a lot at Christmas here in the UK....

The background loops were my first attempts at using Moog 15 Modular on my iPad - but everything else is Nanostudio.

Lee B

Merry Christmas to you too.
I've only listened through the iPhone speakers, but that sounds lovely. The original is lovely too in an eerie way.
You may have sold me on the model 15, those sequences sound great :) But, is it doable on an iPhone 6s Plus? My iPad 4 won't run it.

Slam-Cut

Sounds great. I'm not familiar with that carol, but your cover of it sounds quite nice.

Merry Christmas to everyone who enjoys it!
Bah Humbug to those who don't. :o)

Jim Hanks

Very nice. I'm not familiar with the original either. Merry Christmas Jan!

FWIW, I'm also working on my first project with Model 15. It'll be in Cubasis though not NS.

kitejan

For those who don't know the original of Gaudete - this is (possibly!) my favorite by Barry & Beth Hall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjrPOahe-4

syrupcore

Beautiful version Kitejan.

@LeeB Model 15 runs like a dream on my 6s. Well, the UI is obviously more cumbersome on the smaller screen but otherwise hiccup free. One tip that helps with patching, particularly on the small screen: you can double tap any patch point and then scroll around to the destination you want and double tap there as well. Connection made. It's kind enough to dim out connections you can't make. For example, if you double tapped an output jack, all of the other outputs are dimmed.

syrupcore

Plus, 'Undo' works for patching. Kind indeed!

tom_tm

But does it sound like an actual moog, or just look like one? Btw, hope you're all having a merry Xmas!

kitejan

I can confirm that the Model 15 runs OKish on an Mini 2 - but it maxes out in AUM with more than an AU effect or two and another synth. However it works very well on an iPod 6G - lots more things can be run in AUM :-) just scrolling around is hard and I haven't found a good way of getting out of the Arp view.

As for how close to a real one? Dunno - someone lend me one and I will get back to you (eventually....) :-)

syrupcore

> But does it sound like an actual moog, or just look like one? Btw, hope you're all having a merry Xmas!

I dunno. Sounds good though.

Slam-Cut

What do you mean by "sound like an actual moog"?

Model 15 sounds good to me too. Mind you I haven't used it much as I've been working on a long project that needs a different sound. I was trained on a Moog modular system in college and I would say that from my experiences most die-hard Moog fans will never be satisfied with anything but real hardware. For me, I would much rather have an app at a fraction of the cost that I can have with me at all times rather than find room for a modular set up, and the sound is as analog as I need. Once sounds start fitting in to the mix, the subtle details of authentic gear vs. an app are hard to differentiate, at least for my ears. Also, since the app is made by Moog, I'm guessing better ears than mine think it sounds like a Moog. I think it's well worth giving the app a try considering the low cost.

syrupcore

I think for those willing to spend the money (minus those that just have the cash and want something fancy) it isn't so much the sound in the mix but the sound in the room as a source of inspiration. And the inspiration that comes from interacting with the machine, physically.

I'm for the most part with you though. I'd much rather have 90-95% of the sound/mojo and 0% of the maintenance cost! Plus, presets are sweet. So is MIDI. :)

I'd do something illegal/illicit for a solid weekend with a real Oberhiem SEM-8 but I don't think I'd ever fork over the cash required to own one.

Slam-Cut

You are right. Presets and MIDI are sweet! I feel that pro gear is for pros. If I were making money as a musician I am sure I could rationalize a reason to get some crazy expensive analog gear. Until then, practicing with apps will suffice. I really wish I had apps like Model 15 when I was in college. That really would have helped a lot.

kitejan

Of course if you want to play with the old analogue synths you need loads and loads of space. At the SynthFest UK event in Sheffield they had loads of modular synths, including the Model 15, and some of the "golden oldies" such as the Oberhiem SEM-8, VCS3, the Roland Jupiter 8 and so on. They are HUGE. And (from actually playing with the Jupiter 8 - my childhood "dream synth"), they dont actually sound *that* good in their raw state - a lot of the things we take for granted are done by sticking things through loads of effects. This point was demonstrated by Ian Body and his talk about an early french electronic instrument (a contemporary of the theremin) with a ribbon controller keyboard. He demonstrated its sound on his modular setup - just a sine wave. Pretty dull until he stuck it through a delay (with the comment "everything sounds better with delay"). And when he improvised a short piece using a wave table drone oscillator, and a tinkly random LFO type sound - and it was beautiful. But again "in the raw" the sound was a bit rubbish.

And I would expect a pretty hefty electric bill from all that analogue goodness :-)

syrupcore

Jupiter 8 was my childhood dream synth too. I'd pick a SEM-8 these days but I'd miss the ability to store presets. :)

Slam-Cut

When I had access to a Moog modular synth, the only solution I had to capturing sounds as presets was to sample them into my Emax II. I didn't anticipate how quickly that keyboard would become obsolete. Anyway, analog gear with a sampler is a reasonable combination for getting around the lack of preset storage, although it doesn't allow for live modulation. Apps are quite convienient in that regard. It would be interesting to have someone with a Moog Model 15 create the same patches on hardware as well as the app and hear a comparison.

tom_tm

Exactly what I asked. 'But does it sound like a Moog [or just an approximation]?'

I'm actually getting pretty tired of iPad simulations of the real thing. It's rather boring. True, I was thrilled when the iVCS3 turned up, but after messing around for a while, I got bored of that too (even though it does sound very close to the £12,000 equivalent).

Eden was perfect, because it didn't actually set out to imitate anything. Tbh, it didn't even imitate analogue either, because of the wavetables, it sounded more like a Waldorf than analogue. I agree, I like patch cables on the Moog (because I was a big follower of the Nord Modular), compared to say the way TC-11 is patched, but otoh, TC-11 is a far better instrument as it never really set out to imitate anything apart from to be itself.

I'd like to see more stuff like TC-11 and Shoom etc, and less stuff like the Moog, even though Moog really nailed it with Animoog.