Nanosync on iOS 10

4 replies [Last post]
Slam-Cut

i upgraded my iPhone to iOS 10, and now I can't get Nanosync to work.
The iPhone says IP address: 192.168.1.14
NanoSync keeps looking for: 192.168.1.14:10240
There is no way to add the extra numbers in the Enter IP Address manually section.
Anyone know what those additional numbers are and what I can do to get around this?

Jim Hanks

The extra numbers are a port number. I just upgraded my iPad to iOS 10. It haven't used NanoSync in ages. Let me see if I can get it to work. Stand by...

Jim Hanks

Hmm, seems to be working ok for me. Windows 7, NanoSync from 2011/version 1.3.0.0, iPad Air 2 on iOS 10.1.1.

You could have a firewall blocking access to the port, but that would be on the PC side, and if you're saying it worked prior to the iOS upgrade, then that theory doesn't really make sense.

Slam-Cut

I'll have to check that there isn't something amiss with a firewall. I was surprised by the extra numbers, and wonder why that port is being specified and how to get around it. I'm on WIN 10. I'll have to look into it a bit more. What do you use instead of Nanosync to back up your projects?

Jim Hanks

It's just that I haven't been using NanoStudio much lately, at least not for full projects. I have used NS for some utility work - MIDI editing for example - but NS isn't working as well for my flow right now combining MIDI and audio and pulling in other apps.

Anyway, the port is a standard TCP protocol thing. All "web" connections use a port. Standard services have an assigned port. For example, web browsers/servers typically talk over port 80. Non-standard services have to pick something else and hope no one else is using it. I'm guessing 10240 is just a number Blip picked at "random" as the NanoSync/NanoStudio port to talk over.

I suppose it's possible another service on your computer is using that port, but that's not very likely either.