The future of nanostudio

36 replies [Last post]
Harisonzamperla

So amazingly nanostudio still runs well on 64 bit devices. The only thing I've noticed so far is that the change up/down keyboard register buttons on the left only work if you're holding a key down. Not a huge deal. I also vaguely remember some audiobus issue with nanostudio as am output (sampling into nanostudio).

What are you plans for nanostudio in the future? Are you planning to update it in the future at some point (possibly after ns2)? I still feel like I get more milage out of nanostudio as far as sound and work flow than almost any other iPhone synth. No other good synths are universal. I dont think developers understand not everyone wants a clunky ipad at gigs. IPhone plus is way big enough for me.

Also how is nanostudio 2 going?

kitejan

I know NS1 works fine on iOS10 - apart from the Audiobus/IAA things - I just cant get those working (although to be fair it could also be because AB itself is updated to the latest). Its a bit frustrating, but not completely a deal breaker for me.

I'm making a concerted effort to finish a load of half-baked NS tracks - and once they are done I don't think NS1 will be my primary method of music making anymore. I need to make the move to Ableton (having bought it last year I have completely and utterly failed to do anything with it - partly because I keep returning to NS1 :-) ) and just play around with AUM and those nice shiny apps I've bought over the years and not done much with.

I am always amazed about how well NS actually works - and how good it sounds - even with all the new stuff. Certainly work flow is wonderful and NS is possibly the most stable and well behaved piece of software ever.

I've mentioned before we could really do with NS1.5 to bring it upto date in the iOS10 / 64bit world, but I dont expect it will ever happen now. So I hope for NS2, but given that exactly 2 years ago NS2 was expected to be imminent I'm not exactly holding my breath :-) It will appear when it appears.....

syrupcore

Yep. NS continues to sing. Only real bummer is that sampling directly into Eden via AB was a real treat for a while there. Get to play with all of the shiny new things and quite easily bring it back into NS. Can still pretty easily sample into Audioshare and then copy and paste but part of the NS magic is how buttery smooth the entire experience is and that process is a scratchy in comparison.

All we really know what Matt's said here: He's working on NS2 and NS1 isn't going to get any more updates. To change even the tiniest feature in NS1 would require massive amounts of work because any apps submitted to Apple at this point have to be 64bit which would require overhauling quite a lot of the guts of NS, much of it written in machine code. Or some version of that.

Slam-Cut

What syrupcore said.

I kept my iPad on iOS 8 just so I could still have the AB/NS experience. New apps are more often than not requiring a higher iOS than 8, so I loose out on those apps on the iPad. Arp Oddysei requires iOS 10 and that makes me want to upgrade the iPhone to iOS 10 so that I can get it at the introductory rate, but I worry about upgrading iOS. Seems like the move from iOS 9 to iOS 10 hasn't caused any major issues. At least I haven't heard of any.

I suppose there will be a point when NS1 no longer works on the newest iOS. NS itself seems to work really well and quite stable. The loss of AB support was a result of changes to the iOS and updates to AB and the inability to update NS since it's 32 bit. This is a result of Apple changing things, not NS not working properly, so I think that says that NS could keep working so long as iOS allows 32 bit apps to work. Anyone know what the percentage is of 32 bit apps on iOS?

When Apple forces all 32 bit apps off of the current iOS, we'll have NS2. Hopefully we'll have it even sometime before that. I know the reason I haven't gotten NS2 for Christmas the last couple of years is that I didn't write a letter to Santa Claus to ask for it, so that's what I am doing this year. However I might have been a bad boy this year and only get an app called Coal. :o/

syrupcore

I wish I could roll my iPad 3 back to iOS 8. Most of the stuff I use on there is older anyway. That sampling directly into Eden workflow was bordering on magical.

PS. I said audioshare above but if you're sampling anything rhythmic (like a phrase vs a single synth note), recording into loopy is an easy way to play NS in the background and have the loop recorded in time. There's no real sync between the two but if you set the tempos the same, turn the metronome on in loopy and hit start at the right time, they both stay in sync very well. Maybe not for a 20 minute set but plenty for capturing a loop.

Jeppan74

"All I want for Christmas is youuuuuuuuuuu (NS2)!!!!!!!!"

Slam-Cut

The last update for NS was August 26, 2014. Theoretically there has been at least 2 years of development for NS2. I vaguely remember a post about the original build time for NS being around 3 years (not sure about that though). I don't know what that means for how imminent NS2 may or may not be, but I have a feeling it might be getting close. Probably not Christmas close, but maybe by spring...?

syrupcore

> I vaguely remember a post about the original build time for NS being around 3 years (not sure about that though).

And that was in a version of the world without competition or expectations. Let alone MIDI, Audiobus, IAA, AUv3, CCKs, audio copy and paste, shared storage, multiple iOS screen sizes (and device capabilities) or requested features like audio tracks, stereo sampling, side-chain compression, multi-sampling...

Slam-Cut

Indeed!

tom_tm

I believe Matt wants his life back. Can't say I blame him.

NS2 for Xmas would be nice, but somehow I can't see this happening either. I don't envy the poor sod at all.

Harisonzamperla

Just wanna say I can't believe for the most part nanostudio still runs so well. No updates and still working. Take a ton of apps have quit working on me. Like sunrizer xs is pretty much toast now

Stiksi

@Harisonzamperla: Still works for me. Try to reinstall?

"All I want for Christmas is youuuuuuuuuuu (NS2)!!!!!!!!"
Great, now I have the tea-pot whistle part of that song stuck in my head.

Slam-Cut

@Harisonzamperla: on what iOS is Sunrizer xs causing problems for you. I haven't been using it as much as I ought to, so I haven't noticed any problems. Just wondering if it is a workflow issue or problems with the function of the app.

Harisonzamperla

Ios 10.1.1

Yea. It crashes all the time. Especially loading presets. Also if you create a blank preset (Init in tools menu) and select any kind of sine/triangle it crackles and sounds awful. Completely broken in my opinion. So sad. Sunrizer is one of my favorites. I've been bugging the beep street folks to port the full sunrizer (not xs) to iphone. It sounds so much better and has more options and there's no reason not to at this point. Just have one piece of software to update

Slam-Cut

It would make sense if the full Sunrizer is a 64 bit app. When I get a chance I'll double check my iPhone and iPad versions. I now that I had problems trying to load some 3rd party Sunrizer presets into Sunrizer XS - caused the app to crash repeatedly. When I removed those banks I had no more problems. You may want to try deleting and reinstalling to see if the app is the problem or some of the non-XS banks.

Harisonzamperla

Actually I think the problem was mostly related to the 4400 4800hz headphones or not issue on iphone 6 phones. Seems to be behaving with headphones in now

Harisonzamperla

Still want to use the full version on my iPhone tho. It would only add one more UI page (tops)

Slam-Cut

Sunrizer XS is working fine on my iPhone 6+ w/iOS 10. Must've been your headphones.
I think I'd like the full version on the iPhone too. And as long as I'm dreaming, Nave on iPhone would be super great too.

Harisonzamperla

Stop dreaming and send them an email. Takes two minutes and maybe we'll get a universal port.

info@beepstreet.com

Slam-Cut

Email Sent.

I'm not usually Johnny-on-the-Spot buying apps the first day they come out, but I happened to stumble upon iWavestation, which I had to immediately purchase since I have a Wavestation SR and was contemplating trying to get some of the old ROM cards to complete the collection of sounds for the Wavestation. Now I don't have to. $20 for the app (currently on sale) and $5 for all the ROM cards presets. That's a lot cheaper than one old card.

Yeah, all of that should have been on one of the 'app threads' but the point I realized was that there are currently plenty of great synths and ROMplers on iOS, but there is still a need for that one app to "...rule them all and in the darkness bind them". It's been over 3 decades for me, so if I didn't get that quote quite right, please forgive me. Nanostudio is for me the best music creation software. The ease of use of the sequencer makes it still my number one app. As soon as I can use NS2 to tap into all the other iOS synth apps (MIDI & Audio tracks), I will have a perfect workflow. I think the future of NanoStudio will be a bright one. I think NS will make all the other apps, the ones that I never really use, truly useful and make the iPhone/iPad a true joy to compose on.

One humorous side note, when I updated my iPhone to iOS 10 I got a pop-up notification from the new iOS 10 when I turned on NS for the first time:

"Nanostudio may slow down your iphone The developer of this app needs to update it to improve its compatibility." With no NS updates in 2 years and 3 months, Nanostudio runs great on iOS 10. Nanostudio should have a pop-up warning along the lines of "Warning, iOS will eventually slow down the performance of this app because they constantly piddle around mucking up the platform with stupid changes."

Blip Interactive

"The developer of this app needs to update it to improve its compatibility."

Apple have started removing 'older' apps from the store. It's difficult to be certain, but probably includes apps which have not been updated to include 64 bit support. They said they would notify developers on an individual basis. I haven't heard anything yet, but when I saw this message I wondered if it's a question of time.

Of course, if you were to buy NanoStudio today and Apple decided to remove it from the store tomorrow, you'd still be able to use it.

Stiksi

Just not reinstall it, right?

Slam-Cut

Does jail-breaking an iPhone/iPad allow one to install apps like NS once it's kicked off of the App Store. Is there a way to safeguard/future-proof our workflow and catalog of work with NS?

syrupcore

@slam-cut I have an SR as well. When the app was first released, the app store description said "Interoperability with Wavestation hardware" which I took to mean "Edit with pretty app, send to hardware for multi-timbral glory". Alas, 3 hours later they took that line down. You can import hardware sysex into the app, which is very cool, but not what I was hoping for. No matter, great synth, great app. Easy 25 bucks.

As soon as I can use NS2 to tap into all the other iOS synth apps (MIDI & Audio tracks), I will have a perfect workflow. I think the future of NanoStudio will be a bright one. I think NS will make all the other apps, the ones that I never really use, truly useful and make the iPhone/iPad a true joy to compose on.

Slam-Cut

Yay!! I got a button!

I too was wondering about compatibility with Wavestation hardware. It would be super sweet to be able to create patches on an iPhone and send them to the Wavestation via SYSEX. I'm not sure what would have to change in the app to make this possible, but maybe it is a feature that can be added in the future. It would seem to be a natural thing to us consumers, but maybe there is too much difference in the code of the iOS app and actual SYSEX. About th iM1 Korg says, "We’ve also designed the iM1 so that programs and combinations are entirely independent – a capability not possible on the original unit." Maybe changes like these to the iOS versions make compatibility with hardware impossible?

Also I wonder at Korg's strategy overall. They make apps (and VST/AU) of hardware they no longer manufacture. Obviously it's a chance to make a little bit more money off of technology they already own, although I don't get why the Korg iM1 is not universal like the iWavestaion.
Since they no longer make the hardware, and in the case of ARP Oddesei never did), why not make the apps compatible? Does that potentially harm the sales of their current line of hardware? Maybe they think if they add features to old hardware (via iDevices) that musicians won't buy their top of the line keyboards anymore. I could see that possibility since I doubt that I would buy a new keyboard from them (but maybe a synth if it was a very good synth that focused on being a synth instead of emulating instruments - something that Roland seems to be better at doing).

For now it seems that the apps are in a separate little universe and I'm just trying to work out a new workflow to make use of them while I await NS2. Let me know if you come up with any decent workflow tips.

syrupcore

Since it can import WS sysex and has it's own export format, I'm guessing (and only guessing) that it's probably not a big jump for it to export sysex. The app is also only a shiny UI on the exact synth engine. There are no new features, sonically (so nothing that would break the hardware's sysex format). In some ways it feels hamstrung by old hardware limitations like 32 performances per "card", or using cards at all or no sample import or only 2 MIDI CCs for external control.... Most of that is just goofy in 2016. UNLESS you were trying to keep it 100% hardware compatible! So I'm at least a little hopeful. I doubt they worry much about eating into hardware sales; I reckon it has more to do with only having 24 hours in a day and owners of hardware they discontinued 20ish years ago not being a top development resource priority. Understandably. It would be super effing sweet though to use that lovely UI to make sounds for the hardware.

The software is actually missing a few features from the hardware like step copy within the wave sequencer. And it's mono-timbral vs 16 part multi-timbrality on the hardware.

Looking forward to the NS2.5 Wave Sequencer Synth IAP. :)

Slam-Cut

I agree. I hope that Korg updates the app eventually to address SYSEX compatibility and to add modern features to the app like those you suggested. It does seem weird that they are so tied to the limitations of 1990 technology. I like the Cards for the sake of staying organized with the hardware, but they should not be limited by the original number. Release new Virtual Cards (maybe they will?). And I note only 3 User cards! Those should be unlimited. OK maybe I haven't read the section on User cards in the manual, so maybe there is more than 3. But yeah, adding sample import and full MIDI would seem obvious choices. Those would make a better app, but put the nail in the coffin of backward compatibility. I do enjoy the instant gratification of the Random Wavesequces. That's fun!

I would love to see NS2 have lots of IAP synths a la Gadget. (This is me trying to stay on the thread topic - which can be really hard to do sometimes.) Right now I'm trying to use Gadget and I just can't get my head around the 'scenes'. Seems awkward to me for creating long compositions. I guess I'm just an old fashioned linear sequencerist. But for getting samples out of iWavestation, Gadget is somewhat helpful. I use Gadget as a scratchpad to get a piece started, then record samples via AB into AudioShare, select 'Open In' to NS. I can use Gadget's sequencer to record single notes of a precise length (anything to save me from counting) which is great for pads. This workflow is slow and tedious, but I can get the sounds in to NS where the rest of the composition process is easy, in terms of the app side of things (not counting my own creative blocks). Gadget is slow and awkward for me, but I am sure that it works really well for those used to working with loops and may prefer some improvization in their looping. Anyway, the multi synth environment in Gadget is cool, and I'd love that in NS2, but it may not be necessary if the MIDI out/Audio tracks are set up to make other apps easier to use.

syrupcore

Yeah, the random wave sequence feature is worth the cost of admission.

> And I note only 3 User cards! Those should be unlimited. OK maybe I haven't read the section on User cards in the manual, so maybe there is more than 3.

Exactly. Just goofy, really. You can export and import though so it's not a real limit of 3. Just three addressable in memory at any given time. When you import sysex into the app, it automatically overwrites card one (and card two if the sysex dump is too large). So use card 3 as your default and back it up/export it on the regular.

Slam-Cut

I wonder if Matt plans any special treats like a Random Preset Generator (which would join the list of other RPG acronyms). Crystal Synth has a version of that, and I think a couple other apps as well. It's kinda fun to see what happens and if your lucky it might just be a spark of inspiration that leads to something. I hate to add that suggestion to the Wish List thread. I think if one more item is added then it will be the final card that makes the whole house of cards come falling down. :o(

Harisonzamperla

Good news heard that sunrizer xs and ipad versions are gonna be updated soonish. I always loved the warmth of that synth. Also magellan has ableton link support now. I haven't been on this forums in months but i still use nanostudio all the time

Slam-Cut

I second that! Great synth.