I'm just discovered something new in NS

20 replies [Last post]
kitejan

I bet everyone knows about this - but I didn't! In Eden if you change the keyboard to one of the "other types" (Chromatic, Major, etc.) and it becomes velocity sensitive. Well in the sense - if you touch the top of the key and its low velocity, touch the bottom and it's high velocity.

I never knew that (even after 5 years).

syrupcore

:) It's good stuff.

Slam-Cut

Not sure if I remembered that feature, but I know that I really should make use of it.
I wonder if NS2 will elaborate on that some how.

kitejan

I'm trying to finish some of my old NS projects that have been hanging around for the last 5 years (in some cases) and I have to confess I beginnings wish we could have NS 1.5 that corrects some of the bugs and gives some of the "easy hit" features we all wish it had. And since the code is already built into NS to give velocity response for the "other" keyboards surely it can't be that hard to get the "normal" keyboard to do the velocity things?

Yes I know - it's not going to happen and it's all NS2! But I can dream can't I? And let's face it NS still holds it own against the fancy new things - just would be nice to have a few more years out of the old girl :-)

syrupcore

I don't mind having velocity only available in the 'tines' view. The not-gonna-happen NS1 feature I'd most like with regard to velocity is to have it as a mod source in the patch bay so that you can use it to 'play' LFO depth or filter cutoff or....

Stiksi

… velocity sample layer?

Wait, is Nanostudio a girl? I kind of always assumed that with all the fart and dinosaur noises it likes to make and the baby blue and orange colour scheme and the middle-aged dads it hangs around with… well, I guess this exposes my prejudices. Ass, meet u and me.

Slam-Cut

Interesting question. Sounds like a boy (fart basses), looks like a boy (boy colors), acts like a boy (hangs out with 'the boys'), must be a ....Wait a minute! Are there any girls on this forum? We're so 18th C!

kitejan

Good grief - discussing the sex of Nanostudio. Matt: I think we need NS2 pretty quickly otherwise we will all go mad(*).

(*) Well more mad than we actually are.

Stiksi

So, is Nanostudio, you know… seeing someone?

kitejan

@stiksi: Caustic?

Slam-Cut

A girl named Caustic would give me cause for alarm. Are you suggesting that Caustic is also a boy and that therefore Nanostudio is gay? Not that there's anything wrong with that, and it wouldn't stop me from making music with him, just curious. A guy named Caustic sounds like an edgy hipster. I guess that I had just always thought Nanostudio would grown up and marry a beautiful girl named Auria. Since NS doesn't have the ability to change skins, I guess we can assume that he isn't a cross dresser.

This post is deplorable...

Stiksi

I thought we decided that NS is a girl who enjoys doing typically guy things? Now I'm confused.

syrupcore

Holy shit. What Kitejan said!

kitejan

@syrupcore: what did I say? :-) the initial "I found something", or the "wishing that we had an updated NS 1.x"?

Stiksi

Or "Caustic"?

kitejan

Indeed "or Caustic".

Of maybe syrupcore has hacked my iPad and has been live streaming my conversations to the internet.... :-)

syrupcore

Good grief - discussing the sex of Nanostudio. Matt: I think we need NS2 pretty quickly otherwise we will all go mad(*).

Stiksi

Well, it's either awkward chatter or awkward silence. I think you can tell which which of those I accidentally gravitate to. (not that I don't agree with Kitejan's observation)

Slam-Cut

Awkward Chatter would be a cool band name.

So would Awkward Silence I suppose...

syrupcore

I like it but I think I'd lean towards:

Side A: Awkward Chatter
Side B: Awkward Silence

as the A and B sides of either:

a) a music concrete record
or
b) a full bore black/speed/death metal record
or
c) a collection of unreleased Aphex Twin 'songs'

kitejan

This is a perfect moment to introduce Scarfolk - a (fictional northern U.K.) town stuck in the 70s and the subject of a very dark and satirical blog. One of the posts was about the sort of LPs one might find in Scarfolk's music library. And "Awkward silence" and "awkward chatter" sounds like they should be there as well :-)

http://scarfolk.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/library-music-lps-1970s.html

Let's say one of these (Sounds of Disillusionment) is "work in progress" for me - using most of the unfinished stuff I have accumulated over the years :-)